Proof positive: Vista STILL (!) looks like Win95

If I remember correctly, the new Paint was updated to compliment a possible Paint.NET inclusion (which merely added the support for layers). As to wordpad's icons... remember different departments work on different aspects of the OS. If such an update was slated for Wordpad, which has worked without bugs for years now, I believe it'd be way down on the list of design asthetics. Some things require more attention to detail than something that isn't 'broken' in the first place.

As to the save icon, floppies are still around and the icon, despite losing its meaning for younger generations (as in usage years, not physical years), that's like saying the 'rabbit ears' icon for TV is outdated and should just be a box.. wait.. then we wouldn't know its a tv and think its just a box.. Let's add dials! Wait.. no tv has dials anymore... so.. [_] here. My new icon/symbol for TV/Monitors/Toaster ovens.

OMG, how sad! Argueing over a few old icons! They will stay or they may get changed, no matter what the outcome is, DEAL WITH IT! ITS ONLY A FEW ICONS FFS!

man... go join a boxing gym or something you have serious anger issues! holy moly...

man... go join a boxing gym or something you have serious anger issues! holy moly...

more like a treatment center. :rolleyes:

that's like saying the 'rabbit ears' icon for TV is outdated and should just be a box.. wait.. then we wouldn't know its a tv and think its just a box.. Let's add dials! Wait.. no tv has dials anymore... so.. [_] here. My new icon/symbol for TV/Monitors/Toaster ovens.

:laugh:

If I remember correctly, the new Paint was updated to compliment a possible Paint.NET inclusion (which merely added the support for layers). As to wordpad's icons... remember different departments work on different aspects of the OS. If such an update was slated for Wordpad, which has worked without bugs for years now, I believe it'd be way down on the list of design asthetics. Some things require more attention to detail than something that isn't 'broken' in the first place.

As to the save icon, floppies are still around and the icon, despite losing its meaning for younger generations (as in usage years, not physical years), that's like saying the 'rabbit ears' icon for TV is outdated and should just be a box.. wait.. then we wouldn't know its a tv and think its just a box.. Let's add dials! Wait.. no tv has dials anymore... so.. [_] here. My new icon/symbol for TV/Monitors/Toaster ovens.

i dont think people have a problem with a floppy being used as a save icon, the floppy is iconic for saving data and is just as recognizable as your rabbit ears tv analogy. but why not have it at least asthetically pleasing. Also you mention that aesthetics are not as important as functionality- i agree, there are a lot of other problems in these vista builds that need to be addressed before arguments over icons and colour- but cant we talk abou that if its been brough up? are we somehow hindering the build team by discussing it in a forum? :p

[sarcasm]haha, funny! [/sarcasm]

I just find it quite sad that you are argueing over some icons that noone gives a **** about

Here's a save image that makes sense to me:

document-save.png

The people of the Tango Project certainly seem to know what they're doing. Why can't MS?

Now that screams "save." ;)

Now that screams "save." ;)

Quote - (pixels @ Aug 2 2006, 17:19)

Here's a save image that makes sense to me:

BlindWrite Suite has been using this icon for ages.

Cody

Edited by cyoung1616

Um, what?

Since when did the people of the Tango Project know what they're doing?

If that's what you're asking, the answer is since they started the Tango Project. I've never seen such a well-done effort to unify the interface of an entire OS and its applications.

My god, people, all they're saying is that for a new OS, it's silly to still have icons in their programs for 10 years. Stop freaking out about it, some people like their OS to look nice and uniform.

Vista is bulit from the windows Server 2003 code base. If it were bulit from the ground up, we would most likey have no taskbar, no start menu. We might even be basied on a HTML code base for the entire OS. I'm prety sure Vienna will be bulit from the ground up. We still have some elements from older versons of windows. Vista is manly a major GUI change with the glass and polished elements where it was all gray before, along with other major new features. but i wount count it as a OS "bulit from the ground up"

Vista is loosly based off the windows 2003 Codebase as it has gone through many changes and rebbuilds inorder for it to be Vista. the Windows kernal team has made sevral large and small changes to the windows 2k3 kernal and done some major interrating of new functions and codebase so that every new feature in vista and every other function added by finale or ther after finale build can run correctly.

Example: in the windows Longhorn 3000x and 4000x or some of the 4000x builds some of the features we see today and or seen then that was run on the new Avlon or now known as WPF technolagy eiather faild to run or ran perty damn slow and or crahsed alot ..... and all them issues was caused because they was using then the default windows 2k3 kernel.. so now it has gone through many changes and for a view on them changes watch this video.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=148820 Rob Short (and kernel team) - Going deep inside Windows Vista's kernel architecture

Um, what?

Since when did the people of the Tango Project know what they're doing?

If that's what you're asking, the answer is since they started the Tango Project. I've never seen such a well-done effort to unify the interface of an entire OS and its applications.

you've ever seen. thats the point of this topic is that some dont feel the same as others. personally i think tango icons are utter garbage but others like it.

I don't see the problem, I mean an icon is an icon. At least 90 buttzillion people know what to click on.

Cody

Ahh yes but the same could be said about updating the GUI of office!

you've ever seen. thats the point of this topic is that some dont feel the same as others. personally i think tango icons are utter garbage but others like it.

I wasn't talking about the icons themselves. I was talking about the effort to unify the GUI. That's why I said "effort to unify the interface" rather than "icons". ;)

That being said, I do like the icons.

Why is this thread titled, "Proof positive: Vista STILL (!) looks like Win95"? Vista looks nothing like it! Not even Windows XP! :( Anyway, it's pointless to discuss this here; it'll just start to flame. Report it to Microsoft!

They updated Paint? Can anyone show me what's new?

They "updated" Paint by taking us back to the days of Windows 3.1, hoping no one would notice:

akx7.th.jpg

microsoft developers have things more important to worry about than to update those icons... one of which is getting vista finished...

icons are icons, they all do the same things...

if you want some eyecandy, i'm sure there are a lot of alternatives out there (reshacker doesnt work cuz wordpad only can do 16-bit bitmaps)

They "updated" Paint by taking us back to the days of Windows 3.1, hoping no one would notice:

akx7.th.jpg

Hey thanks for runing my screenshot. :rolleyes:

page 1 post 14 of this thread if anyone cares...

The real paint in vista :

untitleddl3.th.png

You guys should maybe keep things in perspective, it's such a small thing, so much has been updated already, it's not a huge deal if there are a couple tiny icons in a program no one will use or even notice... Are you going to complain if there are old filenames in the /Windows folder??

Notepad, Wordpad, Paint didn't change since Win95. Microsoft is reusing the same code and i'm really suprised they didn't do any new inovations....

I'm a programmer COBOL, NATURAL, C++, Sun JAVA

I developed one of the new features i called recent cut. I'm suprised that Microsoft didn't think of it...and it's really cool.

What it does is that program remembers all your cuts. Let's say you select the text you cut it. Then later on you paste the text, and then select and cut a new chunk of the text. Now, for some reason you need the text you cut it at the first place...well with recent cut you can retrieve all of them. This is something i thought Windows will have built in in every menu...but guess not.

Here is the screenshot of it...it's part of Text Editor i develop under Sun Java SE 1.7

image1us3.jpg

image2sw2.th.jpg

OMG Vista beta, an unreleased OS is unfinished!! it is incredible!! Wait for the release please

thanks dude, like we havent heard that yet! :rolleyes: really adds to the thread.

M$ could have 6 months or 600 months to make changes, people are just voicing their opinions and concerns here. Or would u rather everyone shutup and "trust" in the big M?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

thanks dude, like we havent heard that yet! :rolleyes: really adds to the thread.

M$ could have 6 months or 600 months to make changes, people are just voicing their opinions and concerns here. Or would u rather everyone shutup and "trust" in the big M?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

It would be better than yelling at each other and spamming the thread. :)