Microsoft Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon a Beast?

Hmm... let's hope this can be blamed on bad lighting and a poor angle :p

360extdvd.jpg

This pic of the Xbox 360 HD-DVD external drive gives you a little (or should I say alot) more perspective on the size of the beast. El Jefe, aka the big black power converter, is pleased.

Source

That link isn't working for me, can you upload it here?

open the URL, and then when it's in your address bar, click Go.

copy/paste the link.

the black box below it is just a stand for it to be inclined like that to show off the product.

It didn't work for me by clicking on it. But paste the url in the address bar and it works.

I personally have my 360 horizontal so to get a better idea of how it would look I rotated the image and also sized it down...

post-34384-1154646352.jpg

It has to be said:

If you have an Xbox360 and the relatively large HD-DVD addon, it takes up way too much space and it looks a mess. Suddenly the PS3's size doesn't seem so bad...

It has to be said:

If you have an Xbox360 and the relatively large HD-DVD addon, it takes up way too much space and it looks a mess. Suddenly the PS3's size doesn't seem so bad...

was wondering how long till u wandered in to say that, :laugh:

and i still don't see how size matters for a home console, hence the home bit lol

whether it be xbox1 or ps3 now

but yea, for a standalone drive it looks fine, i like how they've given it the whole xbox360 look.

Btw, how is it going to be connected to the console? just wondering if it'll be connectible to a pc :D

What? That looks pretty large even compared to an external DVD drive. I mean, I know it makes sense being big, since it's very new technology with HD-DVD and everything, but when you have an Xbox 360 and the addon, that's a lot of "stuff".

Edit: Connects via USB. The antenna is on the addon because it uses up the USB port where the wifi adapter goes.

Err, its the same size as a normal drive? (perhaps consider looking at a normal dvd drive?) What were you expecting? Some super amazing small thing?

It can't be 'larger', since all drives are designed to fit in the 5.25" drive bays in a PC.

its not that big, and at the end of the day its optional, im guessing eventually ms will release an internal hd-dvd drive if it wins the format war, or if blu-ray wins then a blu-ray addon which is similar would mosy likely get released.

I don't think it looks unreasonably large. I'm more interested in how much it will cost me. XBox 360 owners might be the first group of people w/ HD DVD drives because they are resonably priced additions compared to the stand alone HD DVD drives. That is what I'm betting on.

Now...if only there were some good game I could play on my xbox 360..that sure would be swell. The problem I think developers are having is that they are still concentrating on hardware power instead of making just fun to play games. But that is an entirely different topic all together.

I don't think it looks unreasonably large. I'm more interested in how much it will cost me. XBox 360 owners might be the first group of people w/ HD DVD drives because they are resonably priced additions compared to the stand alone HD DVD drives. That is what I'm betting on.

Agreed. The size does not bother me whatsoever, I have plenty of space left on my Entertainment Center, so I am not bothered by the size at all...

What does concern me is exactly what you said, how much is this sucker going to cost?

I am hopeful it will be reasonably compared to stand alone players just as you said, so chances are I will wind up with one eventually.

It has to be said:

Sorry to argue but I think the design of the PS3 is a mess[never cared for it, IMO PS2 looked better]; the add-on HD-DVD goes with the 360 like PB goes with J. It looks like it was well designed to go along side of the 360 if you choose it.

But the cost is another issue, too high and gamers will do a blank face and walk away.

It has to be said:

Are you that insecure about wanting a PS3 where you have to come in to a 360 thread and compare it to your obsolete console....