Microsoft Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon a Beast?

It seems like its half the size of the 360 :o

Thats pretty big.

I wonder if they just want it for movies and not games.

Sounds pointless to me if its just for movies, but then again if they use it for games it's Sega CD all over again.. lol

Just movies at this point, rather than having to spend $500 on a seperate hd-dvd player they can buy an addon for less than half the price for their console rather than have 2 big boxes.

Are you that insecure about wanting a PS3 where you have to come in to a 360 thread and compare it to your obsolete console....

:laugh: Yes "my obsolete console" :rofl:

yes obsolete, using outdated gpu and a blu-ray drive thats going to flop badly, bad enough sony are trying to force the format into the market without pushing technology thats going to flop.

At least Microsoft give people a choice.

yes obsolete, using outdated gpu and a blu-ray drive thats going to flop badly

The GPU outdated? Please explain. Not only that, but you don't know if Blu-Ray will flop or not.

Yes outdated, still using archaic off the shelf pc components, ATi at least tried to make it unique by adding unified shaders and edram for free AA and AF.

Given Sonys track record Blu-ray will flop, not to mention all the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray comparisons dont show Blu-Ray in a very appealing light, not to mention HD-DVD are cheaper, better quality, 1st to the market, more choice of movies.

That still doesn't make outdated. A 'unique' GPU can be outdated also.

Blu-ray's consumer electronics list is longer than HD-DVD's. Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Pioneer and LG Electronics. PC makers that support it are Dell, HP and Apple Computer. Also on board are video game maker Electronic Arts and entertainment companies Twentieth Century Fox, Vivendi Universal and Walt Disney. HD-DVD may have more movies out now, but who knows. With a large, growing support list like that, it's possible that Blu-Ray can come back easily. I also highly doubt that HD-DVD is a better quality considering that it comes in 15GB and 30GB versions compared to Blu-Ray's 25GB and 50GB versions. You're right Blu-ray may not be in the best position, right now, but like I said before: you don't know if Blu-Ray will flop or not.

Sorry to argue but I think the design of the PS3 is a mess[never cared for it, IMO PS2 looked better]; the add-on HD-DVD goes with the 360 like PB goes with J. It looks like it was well designed to go along side of the 360 if you choose it.

:yes: The PS2 design was lovely, and I feel that, unlike from PS1/PS2, they balooned the console to make it look beefier, and didn't change the design much :no:

BTW, perhaps the size is due to some RAM or iHD processing or something in there? I remember reading HD-DVD players run on 1GB of RAM...

Yes outdated, still using archaic off the shelf pc components, ATi at least tried to make it unique by adding unified shaders and edram for free AA and AF.

Given Sonys track record Blu-ray will flop, not to mention all the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray comparisons dont show Blu-Ray in a very appealing light, not to mention HD-DVD are cheaper, better quality, 1st to the market, more choice of movies.

That 1st to market argument doesn't hold up, because nobody cares.

Who here knows what came first: VHS or Beta-Max?

Yeah, Sony's formats haven't done too well as of late :pinch:

I really don't care if the HD-DVD player looks big or clunky. It's the design that's killing me. Talk about horrible ergonomics. It doesn't fit in with the 360 at all. It's like a random book next to an electronic device. It's like trying to attach a Lego to a puzzle piece. Doesn't snap in at all.

Remember the GameBoy player for the GameCube? It attatched right under the GameCube and it looked perfectly ergonomic. Why can't Microsoft make something like that? Why can't they make it narrow like the 360 but a bit thinner. It would look so much better. But no, there's a fat, random optical drive on top of my 360.

Well of you put the drive to the left od the Xbox it fits in just fine and it's then abotu thhe same total width as other hometheather devices.

Barring the badly designed modern flat and un standard width DVD players and such crap.

I still wish they could design consioles to just be simpel plain square boxes you could stack with the rest of the home theater/stereo equipment.

Well of you put the drive to the left od the Xbox it fits in just fine and it's then abotu thhe same total width as other hometheather devices.

Barring the badly designed modern flat and un standard width DVD players and such crap.

I still wish they could design consioles to just be simpel plain square boxes you could stack with the rest of the home theater/stereo equipment.

That's boring. And one of the issues of the crash of '83 is that nobody knew the differences between consoles. So design mattered.

Given Sonys track record Blu-ray will flop

The only supporter of Betamax was Sony.

The only supporter of UMD is Sony

(Many companies supported minidisc, but that was just crappy)

There are many companies supporting Blu-ray - it's not just a Sony format (see Ruiz's post)

And Blu-ray will always be around because PS3 games will always use Blu-ray. Mass producing PS3 games will help drive down these high costs everyone talks about.

That was because the idiots at Samsung screwed up their players.

You forget that Sony owns a movie studio with a lot of great movies ready to release on Blu-ray.

The only supporter of Betamax was Sony.

The only supporter of UMD is Sony

(Many companies supported minidisc, but that was just crappy)

There are many companies supporting Blu-ray - it's not just a Sony format (see Ruiz's post)

And Blu-ray will always be around because PS3 games will always use Blu-ray. Mass producing PS3 games will help drive down these high costs everyone talks about.

You forget that Sony owns a movie studio with a lot of great movies ready to release on Blu-ray.

So what if Sony owns a movie studio. ONE movie studio isn't going to save a format. And before you say "but there are lots of studios supporting bluray...". If you think the studios will ONLY support one format, you are on crack.

Studios will go where the money is and considering how cheap it is to manufacture HDDVD disks....it speaks for itself.

Studios would be stupid to only support 1 format.

"Studios will go where the money is..."

The money is where there's greatest installbase of Blu-ray or HD-DVD players.

6 million Blu-ray players, not including standalone players, by March 2007 - that's quite attractive.

Yes but the point is thats Sony FORCING a format onto the market, rather than let people make up their own minds they make PS3 blu-ray to make it look like Blu-Ray is selling well when in reality the Playstation brand is whats selling the console, not the inclusion of Blu-Ray.

It's the consumers choice whether to buy it though, they're not forcing anything onto anyone - if people don't like the fact that Blu-ray is included, they shouldn't buy the PS3.

It's the consumers choice whether to buy it though, they're not forcing anything onto anyone - if people don't like the fact that Blu-ray is included, they shouldn't buy the PS3.
But you are forgetting that the PlayStation is originally a gaming console and not a movie player. The vast majority of people buying PlayStation will be because it plays games, not because it has a Blu-Ray player, thus why the argument that Sony is forcing their format is valid. Now why does it even matter if the Blu-Ray format is forced or not? Because if the consumers don't have the choice then that means the 'better' format may not necessarily win.

But you are forgetting that the PlayStation is originally a gaming console and not a movie player. The vast majority of people buying PlayStation will be because it plays games, not because it has a Blu-Ray player, thus why the argument that Sony is forcing their format is valid. Now why does it even matter if the Blu-Ray format is forced or not? Because if the consumers don't have the choice then that means the 'better' format may not necessarily win.

The big difference between Xbox 360 and PS3 is that Sony intend to release games on Blu-Ray Disc (BD-ROM), where Microsoft only intend the HD-DvD drive to be used for movies.

If Blu-ray was only being used for movies on the PS3, then yes I would agree that the format is being forced on Playstation buyers but since the BD-ROM drive is going to be used for games too, I don't think it is such a massive issue.

Given Sonys track record Blu-ray will flop

Given Italy's PK records, they should've lost the World Cup.

I know it's not a competely reasonable argument, but the basis is still there - previous failures do not necessarily have bearing on future successes.

Given Italy's PK records, they should've lost the World Cup.

I know it's not a competely reasonable argument, but the basis is still there - previous failures do not necessarily have bearing on future successes.

They do when Betamax, Minidisc, UMD Movies, their own ATRAC format have failed, if it was just one then fair enough id sit and wait, but all their disc/movie formats have been failures and Blu-Ray will be too.

20000608-PS2HDD-01.jpg

yes i kno its different, but the concept is the same isnt it :p ... im sure they will release something smaller as time goes on. Maybe something like a laptop size drive...