New Camera Suggestions

So, I'm sick of my camera. It eats batteries, it has major flash issues (as in, doesn't feel like using it when I tell it to), etc. I want a new one.

Now, while I love taking pictures, I am actually a photography n00b. Here's a quick list of cameras I've had (a very short list):

Mustek MDC3500

Kodak C340 (current camera)

Now then... I don't really have a price in mind on how much I'd spend, but don't go crazy (anything over $500 is crazy right now). I've been making do with the Kodak, but of 340 pics I took last time I went out, about 1/8 of them were useless from lack of light (although in real life there was plenty). Ugh! I'm working on convincing Chick that I need a new one, so since a lot of you have way more experience in actual photography (I usually take my crappy pics and juice them up in Photoshop), can you point me in a good direction?

Here are a few things important to me:

1. Zoom - I like to take pics of things without standing on top of them.

2. Light - I want a camera that actually takes pictures... if this means a better flash, so be it.

3. Sharpness - I hate blurry pictures.

4. Battery life - If possible, I hate running out of juice minutes after changing, right in the middle of a shot.

Thanks in advance, guys! :D

Here are a few things important to me:

1. Zoom - I like to take pics of things without standing on top of them.

2. Light - I want a camera that actually takes pictures... if this means a better flash, so be it.

3. Sharpness - I hate blurry pictures.

4. Battery life - If possible, I hate running out of juice minutes after changing, right in the middle of a shot.

I'd say Fuji F30 (excellent in low light, 500 shots with one charge, very sharp corner to corner) but it seems to require some practice to get optimum results (and I haven't used it myself, I'm only going by reviews and sample pics).

Reviews: dpreview dcresource

Dpreview's Fuji forum with lots of F30 threads.

Alternatively, any of Canon's Powershot A line, particularly the A700 (review) for its huge zoom range.