Broken old Sony CRT TV

Well, I'm not positive this is the right place but here goes. We've had an old Sony Trinitron CRT TV from the early 90' (I think) that worked up untill last week. Basically, I turned it on and everything was fine, but eventually it started fading out and going to a completely black screen (black screen as in it looked like the TV was turned off) but the audio still worked perfectly fine. Every so often it would fade back in, but then it would quickly fade back out again. I'm pretty sure it's the TV since hooking up the cables and whatnot to another TV (a much smaller TV I might add :() works fine. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the actual cathode ray tube or on the circuit board or something (hmm, which in retrospect is basically the entire TV :p ), any help appreciated. If this seems irrepairable or not worth it...uhm....anybody have any good recommendations for a reasonably priced and sized replacement set that I can try to convice my parents to pick up :devil:? They'd really prefer to repair it though, as funds are kind of an issue these days.

Well, I think we should retire it as well, but my parents kind of insist on doing anything possible before trying to justify buying something completely new and of course it's not my call. Not to mention, my family is asian so that means there's probably some friend of a second cousin's wife's sister's uncle's brother's nephew that happens to run a TV repair shop that my parents will send the TV to to get fixed. Anybody happen to know how much something like this would cost to fix? I suppose I'll end up spending Monday calling around to some TV repair shops or something though.

It could be a plethora of things. It could be a bad tube (most likely) or even worn out phosphors. Honestly, it's probably going to cost more to fix it than it would to simply buy a new set.