How To Uninstall A Program On A Mac

Hi I'm new to macs i just got my ibook and i installed a few programs just to see how well they work on a mac, but now i need to unintall them, probelm is i don't see an unintall file in the program dir, or is a add/remove programs section like in windows, would anyone be kind as to show me how i go about doing this??

i think username is right lol i remember Dazzla telling me that MS Office X is one file (!!!) and that to uninstall it you just drag it to the trash..

a LOT of programs simply are just one "file" that is simply dragged to the trash and forgotten. In reality, those "file" are actually directories. But macs are smart, in that when you open the directory, it just starts the main program in it. In this manner, applications can store all the data they need within a self-contained package. This makes installation and uninstallion as easy as drag and drop :)

a LOT of programs simply are just one "file" that is simply dragged to the trash and forgotten. In reality, those "file" are actually directories. But macs are smart, in that when you open the directory, it just starts the main program in it. In this manner, applications can store all the data they need within a self-contained package. This makes installation and uninstallion as easy as drag and drop :)

WOW! Nice...

Yup, it's that easy... some of the things that imho make OS 10 really easy to use are .app (packages) and .dmg (images) leaves out a lot of fuzz when distributing :happy:

also, if you want to actual peek into the directory itself (which is useful if you want to replace icons or other resources), just control+click (or right click) and choose show package contents :)

Most programs also have a .pref file that doesn't get deleted if you delete the program. They hold your preferences for that program. They are pretty small so it's not a big deal. Some are in /Library/Preferences and others are in your home/Library/Preferences. Under that same Library directory, the PreferencePane folder is what holds the preferences for your System Preferences window.

also, if you want to actual peek into the directory itself (which is useful if you want to replace icons or other resources), just control+click (or right click) and choose show package contents :)

Maybe a stupid question but I thought mac's didnt support two button mice - i mean they always come with a one button mouse.

I always wondered why they insist on doing that!

Maybe a stupid question but I thought mac's didnt support two button mice - i mean they always come with a one button mouse.

I always wondered why they insist on doing that!

hehe, they DO support two button mice... for one button mice you'd ctrl-click to emulate a right click :)

Although I love my Apple Pro Mouse, the first thing I did when I got my Mac was to buy a new Intellimouse for it ;)