SuSE 10.1

I can't understand what that would be, unless vista places needed files in the mbr. If so than we dual booters are in for a rough ride when we start useing vista, that would suck for sure. I hate to say it but perhaps it may be time for a reformate. Do you have an external hard drive? If you do you can backup useing knoppix any important files to it from your vista partition to the external hard drive or another partition for that matter, your "documents and settings" folder has well has most of your settings are there. Also search for a torrent for hiren's boot cd it has nortons ghost on it. In the future use ghost to create a backup image file of vista so that if disaster strikes then you can fully recover it realy is that good. Nice screenies by the way vista has come a way since I used it last perhaps I will give it a try again and experience first hand how to get a dual boot nix/vista working. Are you a bonified beta tester and how did you get to be one? :cool:

I can back up the files with no problem from Suse and my only question is, do you know where the registry settings are for the applications? And yes, I am a legal tester.. can post a screenshot of connect and my genuine sticker thing in vista system settings! :)

Some months ago (like 4) I triple booted Windows XP, Windows Vista (official beta tester) and Ubuntu. I installed XP first, then Vista and finally Ubuntu and I had no problems although Grub listed only Vista but after choosing it another bootup menu appeared (the vista one) and I could choose between Vista or XP.

Some months ago (like 4) I triple booted Windows XP, Windows Vista (official beta tester) and Ubuntu. I installed XP first, then Vista and finally Ubuntu and I had no problems although Grub listed only Vista but after choosing it another bootup menu appeared (the vista one) and I could choose between Vista or XP.

Yes this is how i did it has well, this works with xp has well, some like a second install of xp with next to no resources running for gameing. When the second xp is installed it adds the second xp installation by adding the line to the first xp's boot.ini file. Ths also works for anyone who is rnning 98 and wants to add xp or vista for that matter. Vista however seemed to be a bit different has even after I removed the vista entry from the xp boot.ini file the vista option was still there. I took a reformate of the vista partition to get totaly rid of it. :cool:

Anyway I guess further discussing vista booting is best for the vista section. :)

I can back up the files with no problem from Suse and my only question is, do you know where the registry settings are for the applications? And yes, I am a legal tester.. can post a screenshot of connect and my genuine sticker thing in vista system settings! :)

Thats cool, sadly mine wasn't legal though, I bee a pirate I rekon Rrrrrrrrrrrr.

The regestry I guess, it is still there in vista unfortunatly, however yo do not need regestry settings, i think there is still a \documents and settings\user\aplication data folder where settings are stored. Back this up and all your app specefic settings should be golden. For instance if you wanted your firefox settings (profile) you would backup the \documents and settings\user\application data\firefox folder. I would simply just backup the whole \documents and settings folder. Just be sure you also backup things like icons and wallpapers you are useing or you may get errors like "field'jpg missing" or this or that.ico not found.

Edited by betamaxman

I haven't read through this thread but I've heard quite a bit about Suse so I got the Live DVD of version 9.2 and tried running it through qemu but it automatically gave me a kernel panic that failed to synch because it ran out of memory and it said there are no killable processes. When I first tried it, it said I needed only 256mb ram to run (qemu uses 128 by default) so I added that in the qemu option when I ran it but that's what happened. I am now currently trying it with 512. Is there anything else to try?

Edit: 512mb seems to work.