External Hard Drive Unallocated

Hi, I'm new to this board, and I don't like to enter a board and ask questions and hope to get answers, but desesperated messures tend to give dessesperated actions, so I hope there is someone is willing to help me out or give me some guidence, so here is my problem:

The thing is that I have an External Hard Drive (Maxtor One Touch II 300GB to be precise), and suddently yesterday it didnt appear on My Computer window, I did what everybody should had done, unplug it from the USB and plug in it back, but that didnt help, then I restarted the sistem, etc etc etc. In the end the USB ports was always able to find the HD and the driver even appear, but it still didnt appeared on My Computer. So I went to check the Disk Manager and notice that my External Drive was online but all the 300 GB were Unallocated.

This is the first time it happened to me, so I should wanted to know if there is any way to verify my files on my unallocated drive? or to create a partition in there and make all my files re-appear in it with out losing any info, I want to recover all my information because I have over 200 GB of info with work I have done ( I draw, and do all kinds of Media creation ). So I should highly appreciate if someone could help me out, I dont want to lose all that hard work that I have done in the past 2 years.

So if you guys know any program or method so I could recover my data, plz tell me. Thnx for your time on reading my request. Thnx again.

GetDataBack for NTFS (or FAT) whatever your filesystem on it was ... It probably just lost your partition information, that tool should work for you, except it takes a couple hours in some cases.

Make sure if you do use GetDataBack to save it to a different drive, not the one you are recovering from, otherwise you will corrupt the data you are trying to recover from.

I read in some forum (when I was searching for information related to my problem) that a certain Partition Magik could make a partition on a Unallocated drive and if there was files in it, it will make it re-appear with out deleting them, but the only program I could find with a similar name was Norton Partition Magic 8, and I was wondering if you guys know if its true that it does that or not?

I should try GetDataBack, but im talking about 200 GB of information in a 300 GB HD, and my internat HD is just 40 GB and well it should be hard to fit that in there. If I can save all my data then it should be nice, specially if that Partition Magic can do it, if not then I should have no choice but to go with GetDataBack.

Anyways, thnx for the time, and I will wait for a reply about Partition Magic.

I have had a similar experience with a Maxtor One Touch drive I wonder if this is Known fault, might be worth checking the Maxtor support site.

I think in my case I went to the disk management snap in and set the partition to active.

I have had a similar experience with a Maxtor One Touch drive I wonder if this is Known fault, might be worth checking the Maxtor support site.

I think in my case I went to the disk management snap in and set the partition to active.

But did your files got save? because I try to keep the files on my now unallocated drive, since its about 200GB of pure info that I have worked hard to do. And Maxtor answer to all the question is "reformat the drive" and that is out of the question.

sorry if I am a bit vague as it was a good few months ago, I remember that I did not have to re-format, but by the sound of it your problem may be more serious. Are you definitely in the disk management area of the computer management console?

sorry if I am a bit vague as it was a good few months ago, I remember that I did not have to re-format, but by the sound of it your problem may be more serious. Are you definitely in the disk management area of the computer management console?

Yeah, I knew that my External HD was Unallocated by seen it on Disk Manager. But I recently used a program called "testdisk" that made my Unallocated drive a NTFS drive as it was before. But now I have the same problem as I had the first day, that my HD stops almost all process on my computer and when I turn it off all programs start to work like nothing. I tried to install SP1 as some people in Cnet recomended but its said that my "serial" number (or whatever it ask) of XP is not correct. So I cant install it.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem with my Lacie 200GB USB External Hard Drive.

The hard drive is recognized as a "Lacie USB Hard Drive" and "USB Mass Storage Device" when I plug it into my computer. It is recognized as "Maxtor 6B200P0 USB Device" in the Device Manager.

It is recognized as an "unallocated disk" (unformatted) under Disk Management (under Computer Management Console). It does not show up under My Computer. I need the data to be preserved, so I cannot simply reformat under PartitionMagic or another reformatting utility.

How can I get the hard drive to show up under My Computer without harming the files on it and without paying $80 for Get DataBack? There is no option to set the partition to "active" under Disk Management, only to create partitions...