• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Photography

donchen    9

Hi guys, I'm trying to know more about photgraphy.. i'm new to this and hope to learn more about it.

To start off, what camera should i get ? I'm only a newbie in this so i dun need those high end type but at least one that can perform well enough for me to learn.

Syphonic    0

Well, give us a budget first, then we can have a think.

Stevieboy84    0

I'm in a similar boat, I've been looking at a few entry level digital SLRs and the general reccomendation seems to be between the Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon D50.. The Nikon is a bit bigger and cheaper, but sounds like it performs well. I've been looking at lots of websites, trying to learn about the different lens types and how they work/what difference they make, so i'd reccomend googling something like 'Understanding camera lenses' or something similar...

Both the camera's described normally come with a 18-55mm lens, which will do for most things, but jessops has a great deal on at the mo, which i am thinking on going for, which means you can get a 70-300mm lens for ?100 (half price) when bought with the Nikon..

I hear that you get what you pay for when it comes to lenses, so the more money you spend on one (bearing in mind ?100 for a lens is cheap) the better quality you will get.

Hope these minor snippets of info help you get started on the hunt for info, I'm no where near understanding everything fully yet, but will try help answer any specific questions.

Steve

Edited by Stevieboy84

donchen    9

Thanks alot Stevie. =) It was very helpful.

Anyway, My budget will probably be able S$300 bucks max ? I don't really know how much camera cost. But if its worth investing, I wouldn't mind.

Stevie, I'll take a look at the 2 cameras u recommend and will check in back here later to comment on it. Thanks!

Brandon    299

If you arent sure, get a film SLR camera (nikon) used. that way if you really enjoy it and want to go digital, you can use the lenses still

donchen    9

I just did a googled on the cameras and realised that it cost roughly about S$600. Is this the normal range for a camera ?

llbbl    0

I just did a googled on the cameras and realised that it cost roughly about S$600. Is this the normal range for a camera ?

For a SLR yes that is about right. You need a SLR if you are serious about photography.

Here is a website with some good info / tips.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Stevieboy84    0

For $300 (around ?150-200) I really doubt you will pick up a digital SLR, but I'd go with Brandon's advice and get a cheap 2nd hand 35mm Film SLR and play with that to learn about them.. I'm currently rummaging about in my house looking for my dad's old SLR to have a play with and learn about the different lenses (if it hasn't been chucked out!)

peterish    2

Since you still have a lot to learn about this massive hobby, I would suggest you hold off on getting a DSLR, and go for a prosumer level digicam instead.

That's what I did when I first started getting into photography. I owned a Panasonic FZ20 for a few months; during which I experimented and learned a great deal. At the end of that period, I knew exactly what DSLR would be perfect for me (no need to ask people what YOU should get).

You have less chance of buyer's remorse this way. Also, please be aware that once you get addicted, you WILL want more expensive lenses. If you are really not in a position to spend/borrow any $$$, then do yourself a favor and pick a less expensive hobby, like collecting diamonds for instance.

donchen    9

Sorry, just a quick qn. whats DSLR and SLR ?

I have a Sony Cybershot 5.1 megapixels. Is that a start off ?

donchen    9

I do not have any camera neccessities. Like stand or what so ever as well. basically, i'm starting off new with just a sony cybershot 5.1

peterish    2

Sorry, just a quick qn. whats DSLR and SLR ?

I have a Sony Cybershot 5.1 megapixels. Is that a start off ?

SLR stands for single lens reflex, DSLR is simply a digital single lens reflex camera (as opposed to film).

It means a professional camera like the Nikon D70, or Canon 20D for example.

The Sony Cybershot would be categorized as a prosumer instead. It's a pretty decent camera; I suggest you practice and experiment with it before moving on to a DSLR.

donchen    9

Hmn... should i get a tripod/stand for the cybershot ? Just last week, i went to watch a fireworks. And all my fireworks came out pretty blur. Probably because i moved when i took the photos.

i was browsing thru the net and saw this picture. It is very nicely taken. But i'm sure they did some photshop editing to it. Maybe anyone can tell me how to catch such beautiful shots and how to edit in photoshop with it.

post-37289-1155264587.jpg

randy_tho    0

I have a Canon S2IS and really like it. The S3 is out now but the S2 can be found cheap.

You can get a cheap tripod for light use on amazon or somewhere. I picked up one for like 12 bucks shipped and it's good enough for my needs.

The S2 gives you plenty of adjustments to work with. (As does any other beyond the point and shoot class.

With fireworks you would want either a fast shutter or slow with tripod to get the light streaks.

Syphonic    0

donchen: That image probably wasn't photoshopped. If it was done properly it was simply a case of a long exposure.

Could always have been multiple exposures merged together.

donchen    9

Can i shoot nice fireworks photo with my cybershot ?

Nashy    1,662

You really need to push your budget.

Try and find a second hand Canon300D of Nikon D50.

My 300D is great, and I know next to nothing about photography, and am learning with it.

Syphonic    0

If the cybershot lets you set the shutter speed to something slow.

Stevieboy84    0

What model is your Cybershot?

dmeags    0

Give a look at the manual and see what it has to say about exposure times. Also, I suggest giving the manual a read and learning some of the settings that the camera has (portrait mode, landscape mode, ect...) Looking at the manual will also help you learn some of the terminology associated with photography.

donchen    9

My cybershot is DSC-T7.

Anyway, i went down town to see the Nikon D50 and it cost S$1140. And Nikon D70 at S$1410.

The guy said that a amatuer photgrapher, D50 will do the job.

So just what are the difference ?

I'm reading the manual already. Slowly though. As i won't be able to digest so much at a time..

Nashy    1,662

The D70's sensor is better, and therfore has more MP's. Get a decent lens and the difference is minimal.

_-Psycho-_    67

I recently got a digital camera for my birthday so i'm beginning to enjoy taking photos as well. My experience is that a (not so expensive) digital camera is a great start. This way you can see if this is something for you. Luckely my cam can set shutter time up to 16 sec so i can take pictures of fireworks and at night :) Grantet it's not as good at it could be with a professional camera but for the time being it's good enough for me :)

randy_tho    0

Yeah the S2 does like 15 second shutter. It can't do as high ISO as a dslr and has some trouble with fast moving objects on auto. The zoom is awesome though and you can get some awesome pictures after some practice. It can be had under 300 US now if you can find it.