Paul Thurrott on OS X Leopard

That may be true, but look at it this way. When you see a Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City ad, do they bash their competitors? No and why? Because it's petty, it's politics. I'm not watching an Apple commerical, I'm watching a political ad that's tell me to vote for the flunky kid that calls himself a Mac.

I can't disagree with that, and you and I are informed enough to make a purchase based on our own needs and desires. But again, Joe Public isn't...that's what I think Apple is attempting to capitalize on, and Microsoft has been for years simply due to market domination.

Oh, and about what Paul says about Spotlight; honestly, that's not even copying. Microsoft said that they would do something like it, but as of now, it's not in a consumer OS. Tiger had it in 2005. By that analogy, I could create a concept of a flying car and some company could improve on it. Would it be copying? Maybe. Would anyone really care? No, because they would be focusing on the product, not where it came from. The same applies with Space and Virtual Desktop.

We shipped Windows Desktop Search in 2004. Where have you been?

Regarding Paul's article. I thought it was very well written bringing up some very good points. I dont favour either company more than the other as I have both a Mac and PC's.

As for Apple's comments on Microsoft and Vista, I thought these were extremely childish and unnecessary. Personally I think flaming your competition only makes yourself look worse.

Oh well, once Vista and 10.5 are released then we can really judge both OS's side by side !

Cheers !

I completely agree.

Yeah Core Animation looks great, though not as great as when it was called "Avalon."

So Microsoft now has a monopoly on Animation, better tell Pixar, Disney, etc. :rolleyes:

Also, Whatever happened to Avalon, I remember it was going to be some great big thing, part of WinFX (the new API, the way forward), and now, WinFX is apparently a optional component, and has been cut back a bit.

It's a shame, Longhorn was going to rock, now it's a shadow of what was promised.

Oh, and about what Paul says about Spotlight; honestly, that's not even copying. Microsoft said that they would do something like it, but as of now, it's not in a consumer OS. Tiger had it in 2005.

The hell it's not, it's been in Vista since Longhorn. The world is flat too, right?

Yeah Core Animation looks great, though not as great as when it was called "Avalon."

Does that even exist anymore? When windows catches up to Quartz Extreme than they can start worrying about matching core image. Frankly theres nothing impressive graphically in vista that cant be done by every other OS out there, and not to mention most of their visual effects are used when they shouldn't and if anything get in the way.

Its not a matter of copying, apple had no idea what windows search was going to be, it was merely an idea/concept, they implemented this idea how they saw fit.

If similarities exist than that just means that both companies have found that must be the right way to do it.

Oh well, once Vista and 10.5 are released then we can really judge both OS's side by side !

Cheers !

QFT

Yes. You heard me correctly. You're using the word 'whatever' in a jornalistic fashion? You're an illiterate.

:pinch: :laugh:

(The reality of this possibility seemed all the more real this week. Am I the only one that though Jobs looked oddly gaunt and sickly during the WWDC keynote?)

Way to do research, the guy have had Cancer for a year...thats why he lost so much weight and looked the way he is. Give him a break.

Good article though, as much as I got a laugh out of the Vista-bashing session, I thought it was childish and the only thing that was exciting was Time Machine and Spaces (and a bit of the new Core technology)...

You're right, it should be about who has the best product. That's why the childish name calling should stop.

To me, the new Apple ads, while funny, border on used car commercials. They don't care what facts they skew, as long as they'll get someone to switch.

The Apple Boom!

There has been a cataclysmic turn of events, and now Mac has 0.1% more market share! Join us!

Anyways...

I thought it was well done.

I've never seen Gates making fun of Apple in his presentations, actually he focus totally on what they can offer for their customers, rather than wasting people's time whining about the other competitor, how they are better than them and bla bla bla...

Apple ads and their childish acts in their keynotes are the main reasons for me not to get a Mac. I really love Mac OS and would love to be part of its community, but I don't want to join a community where it spends lots of its time whining about the other OS.

What apple should do is, focus on their work -which I believe they are doing great- and show what they can do for their customers.

You're absolutely correct. If it's one thing I like about Microsoft and Gates is if they make fun of anybody, they make fun of themselves. Did anyone else see the video they made making fun of their own marketing department and how they'd screw up the ipod packaging and naming? That was hilarious, and they were poking fun at themselves. Or whenever they show of a product and it doesn't work, like when they showed off Windows 98 and it bsoded, Gates was up there making fun of himself. In my opinion, it takes a lot of character to be able to make fun of yourself and not others.

More to the point, Apple's explosion growth in 2005 did nothing to help the Mac's market share, which is still mired at 2 percent worldwide.

That was a very interesting point when I read this article. I honestly always thought they had more, but maybe those higher market share stats I always here about are for US only.

And as most other people have stated, I agree that the flaming comments are very childish and unprofessional.

-Spenser

And why should I care who copies who?

I pay money for features and services, not for how hard you worked these past years. I don't care if WinFS was in development for like 10 years or whichever search feature Microsoft worked on before but Spotlight was completed before.

Everybody copies everyone. Look at iPods and all the mp3s that have similar interfaces. Look at american cars from Pontiac and GM that start to look like Japanese cars like the Cobalt. Cellphone makers copying the RAZR's slim design, Samsung Z540 for example.

In Computing theres so many copying god knows how many things now are original.

Steve Jobs certainly didn't do the right thing to mock at Microsoft for "copying" features because they're all doing it! But how can you call this a review when most of the time he's spending on is bashing Jobs who bashed MSFT and call these features that Apple are putting trivial? As if Vista isn't in the same boat.

Comparing 2 incomplete operating systems is like arguing over who has the better looking invisible friend... just my $0.02
my friend is hotter then your friend *LOL* And she's invisable :) (or does she blow up? No, she's invisable *LOL*) :rofl:

Thats the type of **** you can hear from a Microsfot bias person. Now he will simply say I'm being childish as that seems to be his excuse with everything, then my excuse for Microsoft is they are unprofessional. Sure they may have had similar features much earlier on, but none were polished enough to actually be a useful tool. Microsoft tends to be innovative things, but do them half assed. As far as copying Windows Search? Please, how can they copy something that has yet to be released, he makes it sound like Spotlight is very similar to Windows Search, when in reality, Windows Search is very similar to Spotlight, he seems to have trouble differing releasing programs vs unreleased programs. As far as the whole not very "major" issue, thats because they release a new OS every single year, not every 5 years, or soon to be 6 knowing Vista. If he wants to talk about major, compare OS X 10.5 to 10.0, then you we see the MAJOR upgrades he loves with Windows. The difference is, their updates may not be major in terms of Windows as they release a new os over long periods of time, but in the world of OS X they are major as there is a steady new OS each year. It's a little annoying reading his rant about Apple and how they are copying Microsoft. Leopard will be out before Vista ships, if Microsoft were the original creators, then how come Apple can do it faster and better than they can? Not to mention the number of things dropped in Vista. Not to mention once the new CEO starts taking over at Microsoft and we have faster Windows releases, there won't be anything "major" about them.

Lastly, Vista may be a major upgrade compared to XP, however it still has many of the problems that have plaqued windows since the beginning, they can't seem to get rid of the old and in with the new. Until then they will always be inferior to Apple's OS. And when its all said and done, it's "still windows"

Comparing 2 incomplete operating systems is like arguing over who has the better looking invisible friend... just my $0.02

Iono, most really are comparing the feature set Tiger had and the feature set Vista will have (which isn't changing), so whether they are released or not doesn't really mattery much. Plus the Vista RC1 is coming out soon anyway, and that will be a stopping point for any new features.

Way to do research, the guy have had Cancer for a year...thats why he lost so much weight and looked the way he is.

The way he is, being Extremely beasty :D :hump:

(I'm never going to stop this btw)

Lastly, Vista may be a major upgrade compared to XP, however it still has many of the problems that have plaqued windows since the beginning, they can't seem to get rid of the old and in with the new. Until then they will always be inferior to Apple's OS. And when its all said and done, it's "still windows"

If Windows "will always be inferior to Apple's OS" then explain the market share. Even more so, explain why Windows is used so much more widely than OS X is, ie. businesses and such and that the Vista delay caused such an impact on businesses (as the press reported) and that you dont hear sh** from most businesses about anything to do w/ OS X.

And as most other people have stated, I agree that the flaming comments are very childish and unprofessional.

-Spenser

Thank you Spenser, some people need to hear that more often.

Anyways, back to what I originally was about to say. Paul really had some great points here, especially pointing out the the fallacies in Apple's claims. To me it sounds like Apple's attempting to hype up OS X somehow the same way they hyped up the iPod. They are making some progress but then they do need to be more truthful in their claims than that. MOst of all, their new commercials are just full of hot air and will turn down most ppl that know that PCs dont only do things such as pie charts.

if Microsoft were the original creators, then how come Apple can do it faster and better than they can?

well, the thing with Windows is that Microsoft always makes it compatable with all the old programs. Even old DOS programs can run on XP. Apple doesnt really care about backward compatability.

I guess it was inevitable, but, man, some people get touchy. :pinch:

And to continue nightRider's point, it's a lot easier when you have a 2% market share to try things out. Microsoft needs to worry about all the businesses running their OS and what the impact of any feature they implement would be. It's more than just the home users. They have to tread a lot more carefully. It boils down to big and lumbering versus little and limber.

Jobs can continue to bash Vista and Microsoft. At the end of the day, he is still jealous that Windows operates over 90% of the world's computers and his little joyous OS is nowhere close.

Jobs can continue to bash Vista and Microsoft. At the end of the day, he is still jealous that Windows operates over 90% of the world's computers and his little joyous OS is nowhere close.

Q.F.T.

It's huge flamebait, but it's entirely true.

-Spenser