Buying a Plasma...

oldaccount1

...or LCD...my question is:

Where can I get the cheapest plasma/LCD TV (around 32 inches)? I don't know much about this field, so any tips you can give me on buying would be very helpful and appreciated.

exanimas

Just look around various websites... that is, unless you were looking for someone to save you time =P. Find an LCD you really want, then check things like newegg.com, best buy, pricegrabber.com.

LRoling

I was also considering the same prospect. Are there any sites out there explaining the terminology and everything that goes with Plasma TV's. I've been looking at 46' wall mount Plasmas and don't know the difference between projection this, DLP that, etc.

exanimas
I was also considering the same prospect. Are there any sites out there explaining the terminology and everything that goes with Plasma TV's. I've been looking at 46' wall mount Plasmas and don't know the difference between projection this, DLP that, etc.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.a...p;page_number=1

Just did a quick Yahoo search for "difference between plasma DLP lcd". Tons of results. FYI, I didn't read through that article so it might be crap, but I hope it's what you're looking for.

Brian M.

If you're in the UK - keep an eye on ebuyer - they often have a 42 inch plasma from hiSense for ?600 - but its only an offer - so its when its there, its there, when its not, its ?800

bangbang023

For 32 inches, you'd be looking at LCD. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

PNWDweller

Another consideration --

Choose one that will fit well with where you are mounting or using it. I sell the plasma/lcd mounts at my job and a lot of people like to have them hang from the ceiling or the wall. Plasmas typically run warmer than LCD's due to all the gas inside being heated and require more distance from the wall or ceiling as opposed to the LCD.

If you are placing on a table, desk, etc, then the same would kind of apply for the clearance behind and on the sides. You can get the clearance from the manufacturer as it may vary depending on the design.

Another thing to look at is them in the store side by side even if you are buying online. Some people prefer plasma over LCD for the overall black tone represenatation as LCD's don't fully produce a true black. Yet others don't care and go for the LCD.

One more thing, Plasmas are a LOT heavier than LCD's. Back to the wall or ceiling mount option, consider the weight if you are hanging it in those fashions. :)

oldaccount1

Where's the cheapest place to BUY an LCD TV then?

Starcom826

Cheapest place would quite simply be online. Pricegrabber is your friend there. If you're talking about retail, costco has good prices with great return/customer service. If you're talking cheap, then Vizio and Sceptre are cheap LCD TV brands.

Joel

Cheap = why bother? Just to say you have an LCD?

hifive

What type of stupid question is that. Who wouldn't want cheap hi def?

Might as well save as much as you can.

Michael_C

You get what you pay for.

ecotrojan

You get what you pay for.

Totally agree.

Joel

What type of stupid question is that. Who wouldn't want cheap hi def?

Might as well save as much as you can.

So you think the quality of the picture is the same no matter the price you pay? The very definition of hi-def is the HIGH part. If you buy a sucky TV, it's not high def anymore, it's just better than SD.

And you say I was the one with the stupid post. :rolleyes:

TruckWEB

Anyway... As most Plasma are 1024x768, who can call that real Hi-Def? You're so far from 1920x1080 (the real Hi-Def resolution, for 1080p).

Some newer plasma display offer better resolution, but still... It's plasma, don't expect too much.

In the end, it's true, you get what you pay for. Going with low-cost will give you low-quality.

bangbang023

Anyway... As most Plasma are 1024x768, who can call that real Hi-Def? You're so far from 1920x1080 (the real Hi-Def resolution, for 1080p).

Some newer plasma display offer better resolution, but still... It's plasma, don't expect too much.

In the end, it's true, you get what you pay for. Going with low-cost will give you low-quality.

You need to understand why plasmas are that resolution to be able to understand how it really makes no difference.

TruckWEB

You need to understand why plasmas are that resolution to be able to understand how it really makes no difference.

Well then, educate me please. Because from where I come from, 1024x768 is really not the same as 1920x1080, plasma or not. And why does the picture from a LCD TV looks more sharp than plasma? The only real advantage to plasma is better color reproduction (on high end plasma set) and real black.

bangbang023

Plasma has a lower resolution because of the larger rectangular cells/pixels that compose the set. While an LCD does give a sharper image, a good plasma has much better coloring along with a more natural look. Plasmas also handle fast motion better than LCD's and handle ambient light better because of their emmisive nature and higher contrast levels. Compare a 1024*768 plasma to a 1280*768 LCD and you won't see much of a difference. However, if you're going to compare 1080p LCD's, then at least compare them to their 1080p plamsa counterparts.

TruckWEB

However, if you're going to compare 1080p LCD's, then at least compare them to their 1080p plamsa counterparts.

Where are they?? I don't seem to find any for sale!!! And at what price?

bangbang023

Right now they're expensive and large. The smallest plasma is a Pioneer that retails for 10 g's. Panasonic has a set, I believe, but it's 60". Because of the size of the cells, it's hard to shrink them down enough to fit a large amount into such comparatively small spaces.

IMO, the only time you need 1080p, though, is for anything over 40". Even at 40", there is almost no real noticeable difference especially considering the fact that there is little to none 1080p content right now (only Blu-ray, ATM).

Joel

...considering the fact that there is little to none 1080p content right now (only Blu-ray, ATM).

More accurately, the only machines that can output 1080p are Blu-ray. HD-DVD content is 1080p, but no player for them can do it yet.

bangbang023

Well, that's what I meant.

gunnerhkjp

More accurately, the only machines that can output 1080p are Blu-ray. HD-DVD content is 1080p, but no player for them can do it yet.

The Toshiba RD-A1 HDDVD recorder can play contents at 1080p.

here

I'm not sure if it is available outside Japan.

bangbang023

The Toshiba RD-A1 HDDVD recorder can play contents at 1080p.

here

I'm not sure if it is available outside Japan.

It's not.

SonComet

Many 1080p tvs can do a proper deinterlace on the 1080i and produce the same 1080p24 image that you would see had it been output at 1080p24. Also, remember that the samsung blu-ray player outputs 1080i to an internal chip that then converts it to 1080p30. Both players are best when outputting 1080i60 into a tv or scaler that can inverse telecine the 1080i60 back into 1080p24. No information is lost by outputting at 1080i60 unless the tv can't put the image back together correctly.