First Blu-ray Drives Won't play Blu-ray Movies

Nice work Sony :rofl:

"Sony officially announced its BWU-100A product at its "Experience More 2006" event in Sydney yesterday, all the while acknowledging that there's significant room for improvement before the product is viable for integration into media centre PCs. Sony's product manager for data storage, told CNET.com.au that due to copy protection issues and lagging software development, the drive will only play user-recorded high-definition content from a digital camcorder, and not commercial movies released under the BD format."

Wow. That's all I have to say.

Source

-Spenser

Nice work Sony :rofl:

Wow. That's all I have to say.

Source

-Spenser

I think maybe the "w" word you were looking for was "******s"

Just shot themselves in the other foot me thinks.

I didnt know they still had feet to shoot after all these years :p

And I completely agree with bangbang.

-Spenser

"copy protection issues and lagging software development"

so they don't want movies to be copied...okay

lagging software development, don't they make the software to play the BD movies. They are going to release a movie player that cannot read the movies that they record with their own tech.

Why even bother? and I want to meet the salesperson who sales one of these to a person.

I agree with what bangbang says, but not with what Tom W says.

Same here ;) Except I think both formats will stay and end up like the - and + deal we got with DVD's.

I'm sure many players/burners will end up being dual formats. Samsung chose that route so far with Next-Gen drives ;) LG is unsure now.. lol

"copy protection issues and lagging software development"

so they don't want movies to be copied...okay

lagging software development, don't they make the software to play the BD movies. They are going to release a movie player that cannot read the movies that they record with their own tech.

Why even bother? and I want to meet the salesperson who sales one of these to a person.

Its a blu-ray pc drive burner. not a standalone.

Its a blu-ray pc drive burner. not a standalone.

And it still can't read movies in the format that it supports, which is ridiculous. Call it whatever you want, this is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. It's almost as if they expect people to buy it simply because it has the Blu-ray logo on it.

I think that you have misunderstooded what that Vincent Bautista said.

It's not that first BlueRay PC drive are not capable to play BR commercial movies, but that PC hardware are not ready yet, that's all and it isn't news. You must have HDCP-compliant graphics card and BR-DVD Playback software (graphics card are available I think, software not yet, there are only WinDVD that you can have only in bundle with Vaio).

This isn't news at all...

I think that you have misunderstooded what that Vincent Bautista said.

It's not that first BlueRay PC drive are not capable to play BR commercial movies, but that PC hardware are not ready yet, that's all and it isn't news. You must have HDCP-compliant graphics card and BR-DVD Playback software (graphics card are available I think, software not yet, there are only WinDVD that you can have only in bundle with Vaio).

This isn't news at all...

Finally someone who read the article. I was also going to post some negative comment but after reading the full cnet article i got the real story. I recommend others to read it too.

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners...40091720,00.htm

I just don't understand how Sony can be so overconfident that they feel comfortable putting out a half functioning product.

And that is part of the reason that BD will likely be yet another Sony format failure.

I'm not surprised and even if it could play commerical Blu-Ray disks wouldn't you need a videocard and monitor that support HDMI/HDCP so you can actually view it as well? I'm sticking to DVD for now, all this copy protection crap in both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is the main reason I'm stearing clear of both formats...

EDIT: I doubt Blu-Ray will fail (well not completely anyway), it has some high profile companies backing it; Apple, Panasonic, HP (also backs HD-DVD), Samsung, Pioneer, Sony themselves and many others and in the case that it does die as the main movie format, the PlayStation 3 will keep it alive as it's main format. But anything could happen, Blu-Ray could win or HD-DVD wins or they both win or both loose (and DVD wins) With all that said I think they both are promising formats but for me personally all this anti-piracy technology built into both of them is just going too far and it's not just what they already have but what they plan to impliment in the future I don't want Hollywood dictating what I do with thier movies and how I watch thier movies...till they fix this mess I'm not touching either of them.

Edited by Xerxes

I just don't understand how Sony can be so overconfident that they feel comfortable putting out a half functioning product.

Every time Sony develops their own proprietary format they screw up it for themselves!! :no: