First Blu-ray Drives Won't play Blu-ray Movies

Dias

Still, im not changing video card and/or monitor just so i can see BD movies :s

Yeah, this is a major (maybe the only one) HD- problem.

Cole

I just don't understand how Sony can be so overconfident that they feel comfortable putting out a half functioning product.

Were you going to buy one of the first BDDVD drives anyway? :p

I'm a supporter of Blu-Ray, but I won't buy either format until I know which one wins.

CY:G

Yeah, this is a major (maybe the only one) HD- problem.

What about my 360 tho, i have been playing back HD content (mainly games and HD trailers) with it in my TV, please dont tell me i have to buy a HDCP TV when the HDDVD component comes....

Dias

What about my 360 tho, i have been playing back HD content (mainly games and HD trailers) with it in my TV, please dont tell me i have to buy a HDCP TV when the HDDVD component comes....

Theory:

You need:

HD-DVD standalone player to plugin to your XBox360 that will ship this year

HDCP video output on your Xbox360 (there are not one, it seems that MS are planning to include it on feature revisions).

HDCP TV

Reality:

HDCP protection will not be included in HD-DVD/BR-DVD for a few years until HDCP hardware will be in majority of houses, so you can view HD commercial content at full resolution even without HDCP video output and TV. You need only a player

CY:G

Theory:

You need:

HD-DVD standalone player to plugin to your XBox360 that will ship this year

HDCP video output on your Xbox360 (there are not one, it seems that MS are planning to include it on feature revisions).

HDCP TV

Reality:

HDCP protection will not be included in HD-DVD/BR-DVD for a few years until HDCP hardware will be in majority of houses, so you can view HD commercial content at full resolution even without HDCP video output and TV. You need only a player

Cool, that really makes me happy; i hate all this HDCP stuff :pinch:

gunnerhkjp

I thought HDDVD also requires HDCP compliant devices for playback.

Which means this thread title could have been "First HDDVD drives won't play HDDVD movies".

Why bash Sony, when the whole industry is in on it?

Bhav

Exactly...both Blu-ray and HD-DVD implement AACS.

Joel

First BlueRay Drives WILL play BR Movies. Period.

Why would Sony themeselves announce they won't play them them? They've run out of feet to shoot, and are shooting themselves in the face if they keep putting out statements that are that contradictory. You say it will play, they say it won't.

jerzdawg

I thought HDDVD also requires HDCP compliant devices for playback.

Which means this thread title could have been "First HDDVD drives won't play HDDVD movies".

Why bash Sony, when the whole industry is in on it?

Exactly...both Blu-ray and HD-DVD implement AACS.

Then they should not have made the announcement yet...

ReAnimation

Then they should not have made the announcement yet...

If the drives are starting to come out now then its better to keep people informed rather than wait for them to purchase the drive and then let them find out the hard way that they can't watch HD content without having a fully HDCP compliant PC.

jerzdawg

If the drives are starting to come out now then its better to keep people informed rather than wait for them to purchase the drive and then let them find out the hard way that they can't watch HD content without having a fully HDCP compliant PC.

NO..Sony should hold off on releasing them until the needed hardware is available...

Toastyone

I just don't understand how Sony can be so overconfident that they feel comfortable putting out a half functioning product.

...eh it is Sony I am not surprised

ReAnimation

NO..Sony should hold off on releasing them until the needed hardware is available...

I agree with you, there is little to no point in releasing a read only Blu-ray drive at this time for the PC, I was pointing out why it made sense for Sony to announce what they did as it does not look like they will be delaying the drive. At least this way people who want to have the latest tech in their PC's know what they are getting for their money.

This is not going to be the first blu-ray drive on the market though, Pioneers BDR-101A has been out for a couple of months now - http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/product_detail.j...onomy_id=45-104

Edited by ReAnimation