Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard build 9A241 leaked

is Leopard preview faster than Tiger, given the same hardware?
Apparently it's much faster on Intel machines.
Spotlight1.png
I really hate the way they added that "Everything, Images, ect" filter at the top of the Spotlight window - it looks much nicer in Tiger. Hopefully that changes before the final release.

Yeah, I'd advise against just copying frameworks over, since I decided I'd sit there with console and the new iChat, copying over the frameworks console reported as being wrong every time I'd try to open it. Got to the point where it was wanting me to change cocoa, at which point I decided to let it go. Now everything is acting squirrley and I can't remember what frameworks I overwrote.

I went all the way to Cocoa, Cocoa apps would open but iChat wouldn't. *shrugs* I gave up and reinstalled.

I didn't copy Cocoa, but iChat still wouldn't open. Got it to open by copying the one I remembered, (instantmessage.framework or sommat) but now my system beach balls for about 5 minutes every time I come back from a quick user switch. Now my Sunday will be punctuated by re-installing OS X.

When it comes to Spotlight I absolutely hate the fact I can't add my own filetypes to the "Category Uncheck List". It's insane that I have to uncheck "Documents" (which effectively gets rid of all .doc, .pages, .rtf etc. files) just because I don't want to see dozens of .plist files in the Spotlight Menu.

Adding the ~/Library/Preferences folder to "Privacy" isn't an option because that way it won't show up in a normal Finder search either.

The photobooth icon isn't large yet, it's still 128x128 the one to the right is Preview.

I haven't seen Mail.app's RSS reader featured much. so here's a shot.

MailRSS1.png

MailRSS2.png

MailRSS3.png

MailRSS4.png

I like how it puts the stories into my Inbox, Much better than Newsfire or Vienna. Having everything in 1 place+++

I don't understand what Mail has to do with RSS. :/ Apple always had a one function, one application policy and they're totally throwing that out of the window right now.

I hope this release is more than new metal texture (if that even happens) and a few updated applications.

The folks in Cupertino better have something good up their sleeve.

I read somewhere that there was remote assistance type thing now in iChat. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? Always found the one in windows/msn messenger reallu useful

I thought they were gonna have a better UI or something different, I guess not, I wonder what OS11 is gonna be like? :)

If it got leaked, it's probably because some jerk ball don't wants to create hype for the release, I wouldn't be surprise if Apple allowed the OS to be leaked.

If Apple has a new Aqua design planned for Mac OS X Leopard they're going to wait after Windows Vista hits RTM - currently scheduled for late October (I think) - before announcing it. It would make perfect sense.

I read somewhere that there was remote assistance type thing now in iChat. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? Always found the one in windows/msn messenger reallu useful

Yep there is, check it out here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ichat.html

I don't understand what Mail has to do with RSS. :/ Apple always had a one function, one application policy and they're totally throwing that out of the window right now.

Traditionally, news and mail have always been available in the same application. Can Mail connect to NNTP servers? I've never tried, and I'm not on my Mac, so I'm not sure. In any case, I think they're just making it easier for people to get news and mail in one place, and TBH it makes more sense in Mail than it does in Safari (in my opinion at least).

I don't understand what Mail has to do with RSS.

It's a relatively new trend to use RSS as a universal "alert" system, be it updates to your favorite blog, your grandma's photo album, or an SVN repository. Until fairly recently all of those things would be delivered as E-mail messages advising you to check out whatever it is that happened. That sort of thing is quickly being replaced by RSS and Atom feeds.

RSS doesn't really have a natural place. It's not really a website so it doesn't really go in browser. It's not a message so it's not really usenet or email. It's something wholly different but people really dislike having a dedicated application to use RSS and so the trend now is to build it in to whatever you can think of (mail, chat, browser, usenet client?) I don't really agree with any of that, but like most new technologies a lot of experimentation has to happen before they get it right.

For what it's worth: I think the interface to RSS should be more or less like Growl alerts or maybe as Dashboard widget. I think RSS is being pushed too much into the foreground* and that it would work better as a transparent protocol & standard over which you can build any sort of interface you like (sort of like web services). There are RSS widgets for dashboard and such - but for the most part they aren't doing anything particularly different than their desktop app counterparts.

I think?for example?the flight tracker widget, parcel tracker, and sports score widgets could all be driven by RSS. Right now they're pretty close, but they end up consuming custom XML data and not relatively standardized RSS.

Sometimes it makes sense for RSS to be built into an application (for example XCode could use it to alert you to when the SVN repository for open projects has changed and you should update) but I think they're putting to much focus on the RSS portion of it and not enough on the reason for the alert and the data it contains.

Hopefully seeing RSS frameworks integrated with both Windows and OS X will push things in that direction.

Traditionally, news and mail have always been available in the same application.

Traditionally they weren't the same application, unless by traditionally you mean "since Microsoft figured out what the Internet was". Over time some applications (notably pine, and later Lynx, outlook, netscape communicator, etc) picked up some usenet capabilities but usenet is decades older than any of those applications.

Can Mail connect to NNTP servers?

No it doesnt. The only NNTP client Apple has ever shipped with their operating system is emacs (seriously).

* I don't have Mac OS X 10.5 nor have I had the chance to play with it yet. Until a copy shows up at my office I'm basing my opinions on screenshots, articles, and other public information rather than first-hand experience.

Well, I was just saying from what I knew. All the email programs I've used have had NNTP connectivity, and IMO the next logical step for news is an RSS reader as well.

Well, I was just saying from what I knew. All the email programs I've used have had NNTP connectivity, and IMO the next logical step for news is an RSS reader as well.

When did you start using usenet? I don't mean to sound like a crotchety old man, but back in my day we just didn't have the memory for that kind of one-size-fits-all application.

When did you start using usenet? I don't mean to sound like a crotchety old man, but back in my day we just didn't have the memory for that kind of one-size-fits-all application.

Well, personally I never have, I'm just aware of the features of the applications I've used.

I think the problem here is that I used the word "traditionally"... Perhaps that wasn't the best choice :laugh:

Looking alright so far. Resolution Indepenence will be great and it is nice to see Apple making headway with it. The 512 px icons are stunning, all the detail in them is amazing.