[Review] OCZ Rally2 USB Thumb Drive

002tr2.jpg

OCZ's flash drive engineering team as well as members of the marketing department have been coordinating and working together very well for quite a while now. During the original OCZ Rally's debut a short while back, it undoubtedly made a huge change in the whole USB thumb drive industry. With more emphasis -- and proven performance -- of speed more than ever before, reviewers across the world stood in awe as the OCZ Rally locked out the competition by beating every other drive across the board. Building upon its incredible demand and success, OCZ released their follow-up product recently -- the OCZ Rally2. Will this be a worthy successor to its older brother, as well as raising the bar of flash disks and revolutionize solid state portable storage once more? Let's see what we can discover with our brand new OCZ Rally2 in hand.

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/ocz_rally2

http://aphnetworks.com/review_focus

Anonymous comment is enabled on my site so you can submit your comments on there as well as in this thread without registering. :D

Comments, questions, corrections etc please tell me. Give your opinions, tell me where I can improve on! Don't forget to rate this topic appropriately :)

--

For those who wondering. I dont want to paste the review here on this page because:

- I dont want to change all the HTML/php code or whatever into BBCode

- Formatting issues

- Takes too much time to do all these stuff

- Reuploading all images to imageshack.us with take a long time.

- It is not convenient for me to edit mistakes here and on my site.

Dual-channel mode support to achieve better performance

High speed at data transfer rate

- Dual-channel mode: 24MB/s for Read, 17MB/s for Write

- Single-channel mode: 13MB/s for Read, 9MB/s for Write

erformance: 15MB/s read speed & 9MB/s write speed

Might I ask how does one enable the dual channel mode and also what mode did you test under. If you did the single channel that would explain the slightly slower times compared to the Cruzer....otherwise its performing well bellow spec.

edit: ahh I see thats average...it was just the end that brought that average down

You don't enable dual channel mode. They have a UT161 flash controller from USBest with 2 (Assuming) Sansung NAND chips in there written to simutaneously like RAID0 or Dual Channel RAM to 'theoretically increase performance' which really depends on how fast the chip is and largely the flash controller as well, which IMO USBest really sucks with their latencies. So these things are not user dependent but it's just a thing on how the drive is designed.

This drive is performing below theoretical perfromances, because usually you wont hit that (Except the Sandisk went over theoretical performance ratings). Thats where the difference comes in, not that the Rally2 is a bad drive, it's an excellent deal for what you get and I am using one right now as we speak.

so in your honest oppinion, if you had both available at the same price or close enough that either was an option you would go for the Sandisk Titanium U3? What about other drives not reviewed?

Thinking of getting one for uni...the OCZ had been my choice and while performance isnt bad the retractable end of the Cruzer seems ideal as does the better write speeds. It doesnt seem THAT far behind to OCZ in read speads to be honest either, not compared to how much better it performed in writing.

Be very careful with this OCZ memories, i just had one died on me out of the blue, i connected it and it said it wasnt formated, i lost a lot of important documents in it :(, and now windows explorer says the memory is 4GB when in reality its just 2GB. make sure you back them up very regularly...

Be very careful with this OCZ memories, i just had one died on me out of the blue, i connected it and it said it wasnt formated, i lost a lot of important documents in it :(, and now windows explorer says the memory is 4GB when in reality its just 2GB. make sure you back them up very regularly...

Happened to me too... the replacement works fine (so far...), but this one's loose in its case.