• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Cable Signal Amplifier Question...

Boxster17    78

At my university house, I get pretty crummy picture quality. The house we have only has 2 cable outlets in the walls, and the main box is outside as it's a townhouse. Now I was looking into putting a signal amplifier inside, after it came out of one of the jacks, and was wondering if that would help with the picture quality at all. I drew out a diagram. So I figured that with such long cables, we're probably losing signal strength. I did an orange dot where I'd need to put the signal amplifier, but was just wondering if this would actually improve matters. Thanks for the help...

EDIT: Quick rundown of the colors. The red is the main line that goes to the box outside, which is then split into 2 for the cable outlets inside. Then we split it 3 times when it comes out of that main outlet for the 2 downstairs TVs, and then the other sends a 30ft cable (at least this length, maybe a bit more) to the upstairs where it is then split another 3 times there for myself and 2 of my other roommates there. And two of those blue cables are at least 20ft in length and the other is maybe like 6ft or so.

cable-vi.jpg

mircleman    0

If you put a minmium of 45db that may help if not you can call the cable company and they will come put a inline amp on it usually for free.

bangbang023    31

You really need a second line. Call the cable company and let them know of weak signal issues. When I had complained (my modem kept disconnecting), they came over and determined I simply needed a secondary feed from the main line.

mircleman    0

He dont need a second line just call em up tell em you have weak singles and they will come put a in-line amp in free of charge .

bangbang023    31

He dont need a second line just call em up tell em you have weak singles and they will come put a in-line amp in free of charge .

Cable modems don't always get along with amps well. It's just easier to run a second line like most companies will do.

Boxster17    78

Alright thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to contact my cable company and see what they say.