Zune Picture Leaked

Hmmm

From the amount of people seeing Wi-Fi support and instantly wanting it... I think all the other players will have Wi-Fi pretty soon! :p

I think it was interesting that MS colour-coded the prototypes. Very smart.

Looks interesting. Hopefully it has better success than the UPMCP or whatever it was called.

Deal breaker: ogg. It had better play it.

Looks interesting. Hopefully it has better success than the UPMCP or whatever it was called.

Deal breaker: ogg. It had better play it.

You think there's a chance in hell Microsoft will allow their new Ipod killer to play the most open source, DRM free, high quality format out there?

Hahahahahhahahahah!

Hmmm

From the amount of people seeing Wi-Fi support and instantly wanting it... I think all the other players will have Wi-Fi pretty soon! :p

Don't forget the "WiFi iPod".

Hmmm

Now someone has to hack the protection, so that you can take songs from all the zune in range.

Or commit a random act of kindness and send out songs all over the place. :)

If this thing can give decent battery life and comes under a $300 or under price tag...it could be a winner.

I hate to break it to you but I read on Engadget that it's rumored to have 12/13 hours of battery usage. :no:

I bought a 5g iPod yesterday but I didn't really want to wait anyway.

But easily defeated as this article proved.

i never got an iPod.. always wanted one, but here comes Zune.. possibly cheaper and cooler looking.. and 10,000,000 people won't have one, so i won't be "fitting into the crowd".

i like the Zune, hope it does well.. i want one

Doesn't look as nice as the ipod, but I guess that's up to personal taste.

The transmitter is cool though. Maybe you could listen to what other people are playing in the bus or subway :)

If one zune user transmitted over FM and another zune user was listening to that station... would they then hear what the first was transmitting? /// and then conceivably couldnt they capture the song -- if the feature was supported atleast (in real time though.. and most likely much poorer quality than the original).

The problem in the USA is the FCC. You can only broadcast a certain distance without interference or a license. My XM receiver has a transmitter and has a fairly good range, about 10-15 feet (Never measured it, but I can stand outside with a tuner near the car). I also have a FM Transmitter for my Creative ZEN which is external and plugs into the lighter, both transmit well enough for the car stereo.

Once you start interfering with the stations of other people, their antennas, fillings in their mouth, etc, then you can get in trouble. At most, the best transmission power w/o breaking the limits is enough to send the signal strongly to your radio at an acceptable distance and of course, that varies from person to person.

Not necessarily... Ofcom may be changing their minds on this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,200-2270413,00.html

Either I've read this wrong or you lot have. It says it has a built in FM radio, not transmitter. As said it's only limited to certain distances and power in the states plus many countries. And as said at this moment in time Ofcom have totally outlawed it in the UK, although they are considering changing it. It therefore makes it a pain to implement a transmitter without making different models for each country.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Nobody will "kill" the Ipod until they can come up with as good as a marketing strategy as well as outflank Apple on every feature.

The perfect pocket media player will have:

1) A widescreen high res lcd of at least 3" in size.

2) Wifi and bluetooth 2.0 capability (for headphones)

3) FM Radio and Transmitter

4) Microphone and radio recording.

5) An extensive codec support system, allowing people to download not only a base firmware that is updated often, but an open plugin system that will allow developers to add input support for things like .ogg and even h.264 video support.

6) A powerful mobile CPU that will handle even video of 720p resolution, allowing a wide range of processes to be run.

7) An interface and control system that is intuitive, and is easy on the eyes without being too flashy (need as much CPU for the media as possible)

8) An extensive control panel that makes several aspects of the player to be tailored for almost any users tastes (e.g. you want subtitles to be bigger in size)

9) An unrivaled output system. A next generation mp3 player should have an HDMI port and a standard 3 prong av jack which would allow you to connect to any television you have in your house. A true portable entertainment system that you can use in your house as well as on the go.

10) At least 30-60 gb of space.

11) Distinct color schemes, black, white and some primary colors.

12) And finally, an aesthetically pleasing, solid-feeling design that withstand some hard knocks.

I hate to break it to you but I read on Engadget that it's rumored to have 12/13 hours of battery usage. :no:

That's probably because of the WiFi capabilities which I'm certain they'll allow you to turn off to conserve battery power.