Zune Picture Leaked

That's probably because of the WiFi capabilities which I'm certain they'll allow you to turn off to conserve battery power.

And security.

I can't wait till people start Zune-Jacking, and Pod-Jacking each other.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Nobody will "kill" the Ipod until they can come up with as good as a marketing strategy as well as outflank Apple on every feature.

The perfect pocket media player will have:

1) A widescreen high res lcd of at least 3" in size.

2) Wifi and bluetooth 2.0 capability (for headphones)

3) FM Radio and Transmitter

4) Microphone and radio recording.

5) An extensive codec support system, allowing people to download not only a base firmware that is updated often, but an open plugin system that will allow developers to add input support for things like .ogg and even h.264 video support.

6) A powerful mobile CPU that will handle even video of 720p resolution, allowing a wide range of processes to be run.

7) An interface and control system that is intuitive, and is easy on the eyes without being too flashy (need as much CPU for the media as possible)

8) An extensive control panel that makes several aspects of the player to be tailored for almost any users tastes (e.g. you want subtitles to be bigger in size)

9) An unrivaled output system. A next generation mp3 player should have an HDMI port and a standard 3 prong av jack which would allow you to connect to any television you have in your house. A true portable entertainment system that you can use in your house as well as on the go.

10) At least 30-60 gb of space.

11) Distinct color schemes, black, white and some primary colors.

12) And finally, an aesthetically pleasing, solid-feeling design that withstand some hard knocks.

wtf you're basicly saying they need to make a mini hdtv to take on ipod, what a load of rubbish. most people buy ipods for music not photos and rubbish only way one will catch the ipod is by being made efficiently with steady solid design same and maybe some more features then it but last but not least a cheaper price. it dosent matter how bloody unique it is or how fancy it looks just as long as its solid built, cheap and has enough romm for a decent sized library of music... personally i couldnt care less if it had album art or colour screen or not...

yo i will buy this just to help MS

F apple

i have 2,000 usd set in car for touch screen ipod and control

2 ipods die on me

got 1 for mom (nano) got scratched to ****

xbox and my 360's never hurt me

go zune

copy deez nutz BTW

this looks nice man....the fm transmitter sounds great.....

ive always thought the IPOD was way overrated (and i have owned one is the past)....i mean its nice and pretty and everything but there are much better MP3 players out there which in some cases cost less than the IPOD

Nobody will "kill" the Ipod until they can come up with as good as a marketing strategy as well as outflank Apple on every feature.

5) An extensive codec support system, allowing people to download not only a base firmware that is updated often, but an open plugin system that will allow developers to add input support for things like .ogg and even h.264 video support.

6) A powerful mobile CPU that will handle even video of 720p resolution, allowing a wide range of processes to be run.

7) An interface and control system that is intuitive, and is easy on the eyes without being too flashy (need as much CPU for the media as possible)

8) An extensive control panel that makes several aspects of the player to be tailored for almost any users tastes (e.g. you want subtitles to be bigger in size)

9) An unrivaled output system. A next generation mp3 player should have an HDMI port and a standard 3 prong av jack which would allow you to connect to any television you have in your house. A true portable entertainment system that you can use in your house as well as on the go.

12) And finally, an aesthetically pleasing, solid-feeling design that withstand some hard knocks.

so ur basically saying that the only thing that can beat an IPOD is a pocket-mainframe (btw iam being sarcastic)

I don't care if it is made out of plastic, so long as it can be thrown out of a speeding car and be recovered in working condition.

I say the best (albeit unlikely) thing that Microsoft can do with this thing is release the firmware source. Let people play with it like Linksys WRT54s. They'll gain nerd points, more flexibility and applications for the device (leading to a larger market), and save development costs.

I would love codec support system so I could add ape, ogg, and mpc to it. The problem is different codecs affect battery life differently. I remember reading years ago that ogg would destroy battery life. Not sure if that has changed, but that is a major factor to adding that kind of flexibility.

DVD resolution would be HD for a mobile device with such small screens as the iPod. 720p is only good for larger screens like 17" or higher. 1080p is good for 40" and higher.

I don't think they've invented a computer than you can fold away in your pocket just yet.

Built-in FM Transmitter. That's excellent. I might look into one of these when my iPod goes South. That might be a while though.

-Spenser

Oh my, that is sweeet!

I'm getting kind of excited for this thing :)

Nice, as long as they don't become fashion icons like the iPods.

I think thats what MS will want...

But easily defeated as this article proved.

Yes, but it was still a neat idea. I hadn't seen it used before, and if the people with the prototypes didn't realize they had a unique color....

I don't care if it is made out of plastic, so long as it can be thrown out of a speeding car and be recovered in working condition.

I say the best (albeit unlikely) thing that Microsoft can do with this thing is release the firmware source. Let people play with it like Linksys WRT54s. They'll gain nerd points, more flexibility and applications for the device (leading to a larger market), and save development costs.

Someone will probably hack the firmware eventually. And if not, well there is always the possibility of ZuneLinux or better yet someone ports Rockbox for the Zune.

In an ideal world that would be great but it isn't going to happen, maybe in 10 years time.

hey, even if zune is not good, competition is always good. besides, its the first for microsoft, the first gen ipods werent that great either. itll take some time, but itll get there

I wished they could come up with a design less iPod like. I mean shape it like a big bean or something. Or did Rio come up with that idea first?

I've always wanted a frisbee like MP3 player. One that powers itself by kinetic energy and has wireless transmitting capabilities to the headphones of each player. So in order to enjoy the MP3's on the frisbee they need to work out by throwing it. Trademark: SaLiVa.

That review is really terrible. The quality of the review, not the actual Zune product.

Humm... maybe the world shouldn't be listening to a bunch of iPod fanboys reviewing a Microsoft Portable Media Player?

the player itself doesnt deserve the name "zune" lol. looks too cool to be called a zune

are we looking at the same picture?

The name doesn't do it for me :cool:

Yeah! It looks more like a "Phlagooey." Let's call it that from now on.

"If you?ve been wondering how the Phlagooey?s user interface will compare with the iPod?s, we have some real answers for you this morning..."

See, it gently rolls off the tongue.