[Porsche] New 997 GT2

Compared to the 911 Turbo, this 911 GT2 is recognizable by the missing fog-lights in the front bumper and the huge rear wing as well as a more modest looking front lip-spoiler. Built on the latest 997 platform, this Porsche 911 GT2 was not expected to exist by some industry sources.

The upper rear wing on this test mule is similar to those found on previous GT2's and may be exchanged for a newer design. However, the lower wing-base with integrated engine air-intake vents looks production-ready. Expect the GT2's horsepower to be at least 520 when it's announced later this year with the possibility of as much as 550 or more on the table. Top speed should exceed 200 mph (320 km/h), a first for production-line 911s.

6060818.003.1M.jpg

Source and More pics inside

I've been looking at getting a 911 Turbo. The problem is that it takes a YEAR from the time you order it to get it.

The other issue is that you don't really get to test drive them. I have yet to find a dealership that stocks them around me and even if I did, I doubt they'd have the one with the Tiptronic transmission which is the one I'm interested in (it's slightly faster). The GPS, amazingly, is NOT touch screen which I find insane for a $130k car.

I've been looking at getting a 911 Turbo. The problem is that it takes a YEAR from the time you order it to get it.

The other issue is that you don't really get to test drive them. I have yet to find a dealership that stocks them around me and even if I did, I doubt they'd have the one with the Tiptronic transmission which is the one I'm interested in (it's slightly faster). The GPS, amazingly, is NOT touch screen which I find insane for a $130k car.

Brad Wardell in a 911 ... Chick Magnet right there..lol

I too have been looking at 911 Turbos... Only in magazines thou, cos I'll never be able to afford it.. :cry:

Tell me about it. My last sports car was an '03 Carrera with PCM. Among the least intuitive of all the navi systems I've ever used. Sadly, it hasn't changed much on the 997s. The girlfriend has it in her Cayman and actually prefers using her old Garmin Streetpilot instead.

With that said, I cannot wait to go back to Porsche. I've had my fun being ostentatious......although our "local" Maserati dealer is offering a killer lease on a GranSport (basically extending Maserati's July lease incentives indefinitely). Although my current experience with fine Italian machinery *cough* leaves a bit to be desired....caveat emptor!

Brad Wardell in a 911 ... Chick Magnet right there..lol

I too have been looking at 911 Turbos... Only in magazines thou, cos I'll never be able to afford it.:cry:y:

Ah, so you HAVE seen PowerUser.TV;);)

"So then I said 'Take the derivative of that one! HAH HAH HAH'"

Tell me about it. My last sports car was an '03 Carrera with PCM. Among the least intuitive of all the navi systems I've ever used. Sadly, it hasn't changed much on the 997s. The girlfriend has it in her Cayman and actually prefers using her old Garmin Streetpilot instead.

With that said, I cannot wait to go back to Porsche. I've had my fun being ostentatious......although our "local" Maserati dealer is offering a killer lease on a GranSport (basically extending Maserati's July lease incentives indefinitely). Although my current experience with fine Italian machinery *cough* leaves a bit to be desired....caveat emptor!

Yea, I have to admit, the GPS stuff is somewhat of an issue. My current car is a Jaguar S-Type R and it has a fantastic GPS system and is upgraded to be able to do 0 to 60mph in about 5 seconds (not as fast as the Porsche but still very fast).

I've also been looking at the BMW M5 or M6 but I've wanted a Porsche since I was a kid.

Ah, so you HAVE seen PowerUser.TV? ;)

"So then I said 'Take the derivative of that one! HAH HAH HAH'"

Yea, I have to admit, the GPS stuff is somewhat of an issue. My current car is a Jaguar S-Type R and it has a fantastic GPS system and is upgraded to be able to do 0 to 60mph in about 5 seconds (not as fast as the Porsche but still very fast).

I've also been looking at the BMW M5 or M6 but I've wanted a Porsche since I was a kid.

We have more in common than just our political/economic views then (I stumbled on a political blog post by you back in the day; what can I say, I'm a fan!), as I've desired a Porsche since I first came to the USA at the ripe old age of 6.

Fourteen years later, I managed to actualize that dream with a used Boxster and have never looked back. There may be "better" cars out there, but Porsches are magical. Anyone who lives with one for a little while will agree.

Alas, with everything I *have* driven, I've only driven two S-Types, neither with nav, so I don't know much about the system or the car. From pictures, it reminds me a lot of the excellent Honda touch screen system - my second favorite, under Audi's MMI.

I would never buy a Porsche. Mid engine, major oversteer, uncomfortable, and they absolutely do not ever change their design.

Ferrari > Porsche x 1000.

I would never buy a Porsche. Mid engine, major oversteer, uncomfortable, and they absolutely do not ever change their design.

Ferrari > Porsche x 1000.

Well, to be fair, they're completely different products targetted at very different people :)

I currently lease a Gallardo, and have friends & clients alike who have many exotic cars, including several Ferraris - while in the end, our cars are very special to us, we can't deny that they don't have their share of problems.

As far as I know, the only modern mid engined Porsches are Boxsters/Caymans and, of course, the mighty Carrera GT. The 997 is a rear engine car. Furthermore, the 997 is a far more practical car; as Porsches tend to be in general. Reliability has been growing throughout the years and Porsche dealers/service centers are abundant. Basically, you can LIVE with the car.

To an extent, Lamborghini has partially tried to emulate this practicality, at least with the Gallardo, from what I've noticed. Obviously, this comes from Audi's influence, and it's much appreciated.

Oh, and while I love Ferraris, I would never buy or lease one. Not until I effectively double my income. Wonderful cars. Amazing sex/status symbols. But almost every Ferrari owner I know has their mechanic's cell phone number.

Well, to be fair, they're completely different products targetted at very different people :)

I currently lease a Gallardo, and have friends & clients alike who have many exotic cars, including several Ferraris - while in the end, our cars are very special to us, we can't deny that they don't have their share of problems.

As far as I know, the only modern mid engined Porsches are Boxsters/Caymans and, of course, the mighty Carrera GT. The 997 is a rear engine car. Furthermore, the 997 is a far more practical car; as Porsches tend to be in general. Reliability has been growing throughout the years and Porsche dealers/service centers are abundant. Basically, you can LIVE with the car.

To an extent, Lamborghini has partially tried to emulate this practicality, at least with the Gallardo, from what I've noticed. Obviously, this comes from Audi's influence, and it's much appreciated.

Oh, and while I love Ferraris, I would never buy or lease one. Not until I effectively double my income. Wonderful cars. Amazing sex/status symbols. But almost every Ferrari owner I know has their mechanic's cell phone number.

DUDE! post some interrior pics of your gallardo! you, lucky, you!

but he's right, porsche design are soooooooooooooooooo boring! they LOOOOOOOOOOK the same! the only year that look different was when they change the headlights in the year 2003, but now they went back to the orignal oval headlights.

DUDE! post some interrior pics of your gallardo! you, lucky, you!

but he's right, porsche design are soooooooooooooooooo boring! they LOOOOOOOOOOK the same! the only year that look different was when they change the headlights in the year 2003, but now they went back to the orignal oval headlights.

Check your messages and enjoy the pics :)

It's a neat car, but you need to live a certain lifestyle to truly enjoy it. Alas, my own lifestyle does not qualify.

Still, the half-assed e-gear transmission and awkward heavy steering really work against it. Two firmware upgrades for the tranny and I'll still stall out every now and then in reverse going into first. The suspension is frightening - my bad back has actually gotten worse as a result. Ah well, only 8 more months to go on the lease!

My bad: I just misread. I don't have interior pics. Mainly because my company logo is displayed rather, err, prominently in the ones I do have.

I don't think Porsche make alot of supercars... the Carrera GT was defiantly one...

but most of their products if we exclude the more specialized versions of the 911 are like BMW and Mercedes.

Check your messages and enjoy the pics :)

It's a neat car, but you need to live a certain lifestyle to truly enjoy it. Alas, my own lifestyle does not qualify.

Still, the half-assed e-gear transmission and awkward heavy steering really work against it. Two firmware upgrades for the tranny and I'll still stall out every now and then in reverse going into first. The suspension is frightening - my bad back has actually gotten worse as a result. Ah well, only 8 more months to go on the lease!

My bad: I just misread. I don't have interior pics. Mainly because my company logo is displayed rather, err, prominently in the ones I do have.

why's your comp logo in it? i assume it's becuase they're paying you to drive or something? man, that would be a neat job.