OMG! Guess what Apple just sent me.

just return the old one. they sent you the old one by accidnet not the new one. they inteded to send u the new one. even in this manner, you are getting a better machine, and they mite reward you. if ppl do things like this, it makes the company regret what they do, and next time, your tv (for example) breaks down, and they dont do anything, youll be screwd. dont take advantage of their mistakes. and a company like apple isnt a money hog or whatever, so just send it back (or sell it to me ;)

and it doesnt matter how rich the company is, or how much it will effect them. stealing is stealing.

unless you sell it to a member named statix1 jk

Unless you return it blindly, they lose the "duplicate". And claim you owe them a computer.. which you already sent back.

I would contact them, let them know about the situation and do NOT return it until they give you something in writing. Again, I would NOT blindly send it back.

It is possible but contacting you first, they may just end up giving it to you.

Look, instead of listening to a bunch of internet teenagers, why don't you go and speak to a lawyer? You could get into serious trouble for selling or even keeping something you don't rightfully own, and no, just because Apple sent it to you doesn't mean it's rightfully yours.

This could be a mistake that haunts you for the rest of your life, forget about getting a decent job in the UK once you have a record. Make sure you can keep it by speaking to a professional, and if in doubt, send the damn thing back and stop having such a wet dream about how much of a scam you could pull.

This could be a mistake that haunts you for the rest of your life, forget about getting a decent job in the UK once you have a record. Make sure you can keep it by speaking to a professional, and if in doubt, send the damn thing back and stop having such a wet dream about how much of a scam you could pull.

Jeez mate. Calm down. :no: :|

Look, instead of listening to a bunch of internet teenagers, why don't you go and speak to a lawyer? You could get into serious trouble for selling or even keeping something you don't rightfully own, and no, just because Apple sent it to you doesn't mean it's rightfully yours.

very right, tbh i'd call up apple and ask them to come and pick it up - make sure you make them send written confirmation of you asking them to do this (you can do that afaik) and then if they dont actually come out you have proof you tried to give it in.

My dad works in sales/distribution of high performance electronic equipment. Such as industrial HD cables that make Monster cables history or oscilloscopes (some of them even run on Windows with a screen a little larger than an ipod) for testing signal quality on massive networks. Anyway, they get parts in all the time and when they collect extra units they generally are told to scrap 'em. It generally isn't worth putting too much effort into recovering extra inventory for companies like Apple or others. They just write it off as the cost of doing a days work. I'd suggest contacting Apple and just asking them, because like my dad's job, if you can't return it they can always bill you.

In fact. I get the left over HD cables from some demo pieces that didn't end up being used. Cables worth about $300 normally.

Edited by virtualmadden

My god, just do the right thing, return the laptop.

Jeez... stolen goods... :angry:

Errm. How is it stolen? I bought the machine remember. Anyway. Who cares anymore. If you must know Apple are aware of their balls up but they don't want the machine back. To much time and admin to sort out.

It appears, thefunkymunky, that your initial problem has brought you some luck. How I envy you. Enjoy it, as it seems they've accepted it. =) How come stuff like this never happens to me? (Probably because I return money to cashiers who accidentally hand me extra bills....=( )

Errm. How is it stolen? I bought the machine remember. Anyway. Who cares anymore. If you must know Apple are aware of their balls up but they don't want the machine back. To much time and admin to sort out.

This bit of information change everything. Now you're a lucky guy. Sell one, make money.

:woot:

funkymunky, make sure you concate the apple retail first, they properbably will acknowledge the mistake and ask for you to return it. You should ask them to collect by themself, because thats not your fault.

Scince we all busy, so that will be a good chance that they give it up.

Anyway, at least you could say I tried.

I would have sent a letter to Apple stating you have the extra one and they have x amount of time to arrange pickup for it and send it via recorded delivery.

If i heared nothing back id just keep it.

sweet. sell the old one, as they prolly cancelled the applecare on it. wrote it off as scrap. how much you want for it?

I think I would tell them about the situation... wouldn't they let me keep em both because I'm honest? :p

In the worst case, I'd keep the new one and wait until they ask me for the old one.

One of my friends ordered an iBook about two years ago, but changed his mind and decided to go for the Powerbook 12" instead. He cancelled the iBook order less than 24 hours after placing it, and ordered the PB.

Answered his door to a delivery guy a week or so later, and he had a package. Opened that and it was the iBook. He kept it, awaiting delivery of his PB which was scheduled for three days later to ensure they hadn't just mixed it up. Sure enough, he got that too.

Ended up waiting two months for Apple to contact him, then sold it on eBay. Got ?600 for it, unopened. Never had any repercussions from them since, and he's bought numerous things from the Apple store in the meantime.

If your morals will allow it, sell it. Or even better, keep the new one for yourself and sell the repaired one; you won't make as much money but you'll get a better, newer laptop which is more likely to be exempt from issues.

damn thats cool!, apple sent me 15 nano docks once instead of 1, but thats kinda not the same lol! though i made ?100 from selling them on ebay.