• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New HDTV for Xbox 360

magik    25

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new HDTV for my Xbox 360 and the occasional movie (I probably will be getting the HD-DVD Addon once I can afford it after buying the TV). We're finishing our basement and I'm really excited to move my whole theater system downstairs into the larger space. The room is roughly 15' by 21' with a reasonably high ceiling (it's not a drop-ceiling).

I was looking at TV sizes of around 47" to 50". I would like for the TV to support 1080p, support for 720p and 1080i is a must, however if 1080p isn't there. I would also like PC/VGA, HDMI and Component inputs. My budget is roughly $2,000 to $2,500 max. I'm leaning towards DLP or other Rear-Project sets. I like Plasma a lot but I'm a little worried about burn in and the fact that large Plasma screens are usually considerably more expensive than larger Rear-Projection sets. However, if I find a good Plasma for the right price I would love to not have to worry about replacing the bulb in the TV down the line.

I've done some preliminary research but it's been very basic stuff. I keep looking for good site reviews but most of them are outdated and/or only review older 2005 sets. I would like to purchase a newer 2006 model of whatever TV I decide on.

Some sets that I have been looking at:

Samsung DLPs:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5087WXXAA.asp - HL-S5087W

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5086WXXAA.asp - HL-S5086W

Sony RPs:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ction_42to51TVs - KDF-50E2000

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ction_42to51TVs - KDS-50A2000 (This one is a little pricey but I would hunt for a good bargain on one of these).

Panasonic DLP:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...000000000005702 - PT-56DLX25 (This one is a little too big, but I wonder if it comes in a smaller size?)

What do you guys think about the above sets? Do you have any recommendations about any other ones? Where do you find is the best place/method of doing research? Any links, reviews, etc?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, this is a pretty big investment for me so I would like to take my time and make the best possible decision.

Dirk    3

I do believe Samsung and Sony tv's are the exact same since they are made at the same place. I could be wrong though. You are just paying more for the name if you get a Sony. I have a http://samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5688WXXAA.asp and love it to death.

icecaveman    0

^ True, even Bang & Olufsen mostly use Samsung. Samsung is the #1 LCD panel maker in the world.

goji    30

Do yourself a favor and do not buy a DLP for gaming. Go with tube or LCD.

My first tv purchase was predominatley for gaming, and most websites and reviews claimed that DLP was the way to go for gaming. Well, they were full of it.

I had bought a 46" Samsung DLP from their last generation lineup. Great picture, stunning for movies, I felt like I was in a theater. However for gaming the image lagged just enough to make me mad. For the casual gamer they may not notice, however if your playing Halo, Battlefield, Soul Cal or any intensive game where timing is absolutley top priority then DLP is not for you.

In the end I went with a Sony 42" LCD. It plays games great no lag that I can notice. Playing on the DLP felt like playing in water, the response time was cruddy. I dont know if the newer generations are improved, I have yet to see since I will not trust another review about gaming monitors again.

BroChaos    1

is that really related to DLP though? any tv that does extensive post processing on a signal can create lag. i know it can happen on lcds as well. usually though, you want a tv where you can turn those extra options off, or one that has a "gaming" mode.

Dirk    3

I have never had any lagging with my DLP tv.

magik    25

I'm actually leaning more towards Plasmas now and will probably try to get a smaller size TV, hopefully around 47", if I can though. We would like to save as much space as possible and even though DLPs aren' that large, Plasmas are the most space saving sets.

gunnerhkjp    0

I suggest an LCD or Plazma. With DLPs, I get the rainbow effect.

Some people see it, some don't. You usually see it when you shift your eye from one point on the screen to another. This happens a lot with games :)

If you have to go with rear projection, I suggest the sony SXRD, since I don't see the rainbow effect on it.

And Samsung and Sony TV's are not "the exact same since they are made at the same place".

Sony and Samsung have a joint venture S-LCD which makes their LCD panels.

That's the extent of their cooperation.

<Edit>

How about this baby! :cool:

Edited by gunnerhkjp

Trong    3

I'm actually leaning more towards Plasmas now and will probably try to get a smaller size TV, hopefully around 47", if I can though. We would like to save as much space as possible and even though DLPs aren' that large, Plasmas are the most space saving sets.

LCD>CRT>Plasma

Plasma outputs some amazing color but it doesn't last that long. If you want to leave your Xbox in the dashboard for a while, you'd have to turn off the TV or you'll risk burn in. CRTs can have the same problem but it takes a longer amount of time for the burn in to occur.

LCDs are immune from burn in and are just as flat as plasmas. They are availble in smaller sizes and in some larger sizes. The cost is on par with plasma when you want a bigger LCD. I've seen some Samsung 32 inch LCDs for $1600. They have great looking picture and the TV itself is looks very nice and classy.

magik    25
<Edit>

How about this baby! :cool:

:rofl: Now that's just ridiculous!

LCD>CRT>Plasma

Plasma outputs some amazing color but it doesn't last that long. If you want to leave your Xbox in the dashboard for a while, you'd have to turn off the TV or you'll risk burn in. CRTs can have the same problem but it takes a longer amount of time for the burn in to occur.

LCDs are immune from burn in and are just as flat as plasmas. They are availble in smaller sizes and in some larger sizes. The cost is on par with plasma when you want a bigger LCD. I've seen some Samsung 32 inch LCDs for $1600. They have great looking picture and the TV itself is looks very nice and classy.

I see, but I thought LCDs suffered from fast-motion 'ghost' effects? I guess if you look for a fast response time (8ms or something?) then it won't be a problem?

troGGers    1

LCD Rear Projection TVs are not the same as computer monitors. There are no response times as there are no real "pixels" turning off and on. No ghosting...if you sit too close some say there's a screen door effect. Just sit the recommended 7 feet away or so and you're fine. LCD definately destroys DLP if you do gaming...the lag is horrible. Plus they're cheaper. A 42" sony you can get for around $1200, best buy also has the matching stand for $10 which is normally $300. I picked mine up last week....splendid. I would definately go LCD though seeing as you apparently play Halo 2....it's necessary.

magik    25

LCD Rear Projection TVs are not the same as computer monitors. There are no response times as there are no real "pixels" turning off and on. No ghosting...if you sit too close some say there's a screen door effect. Just sit the recommended 7 feet away or so and you're fine. LCD definately destroys DLP if you do gaming...the lag is horrible. Plus they're cheaper. A 42" sony you can get for around $1200, best buy also has the matching stand for $10 which is normally $300. I picked mine up last week....splendid. I would definately go LCD though seeing as you apparently play Halo 2....it's necessary.

I think he was talking about LCD Panel Displays, not LCD Rear Projections. Not sure what the difference between LCD Rear Projection Displays and DLPs are...? ::off to google, bbs::

troGGers    1

You're going to pay too much for the screen size of a LCD Panel. You'll pay double for half the size if you go with a flat panel LCD. Not worth it IMO. It's not like old style Rear Projections where size was an issue, hence the popularity of plasmas on release. While plasmas offer great contrast ratios and such they have many problems as well, including burn in issues. Plus, if a plasma goes bad, you have to buy a whole new TV...and I believe it's the same for LCD flat panels. If the lamp in and LCD Rear Projection goes bad, you pay $250 and swap out the bulb....instantly new tv. As far as the marketplace right now, you're best deals are going to be DLPs and LCD Rear Projections. Like I said though, DLPs have a bad lag issue plus a rainbow effect. There are numerous stories from folks that bought a Samsung DLP and took it back and got the Sony LCD. DLPs don't look as good in standard definition, which most television will be, except for the HD package that you get from satellite. Plus the rainbow effect is distracting and the lag. In the end you have to just look at both and see which one you like. I'd get it from somewhere that takes returns easily though, just in case. Since gaming (XBOX 360) is obviously a priority, I'd try that out right after you set things up. The sony LCDs have a problem with a "red push", but it's easily fixable and found on forums. Calibration is a must for any HDTV though. You can either spend the money to get it professionally adjusted by an ISF certified professional, or try it on your own with an Avia or Digital Video Essentials disc.

magik    25

^ Thanks for your informative post. I'm going to be stopping by a few local HDTV dealers in my area and try to narrow down the technology that I want to get. Then I'll start looking at brands/models.

This thread will act as my "HDTV purchasing blog" :p

Digitalx    17

samsung ftw

laz45    31

I got a 62" DLP and I use it everyday for BF2, PRG3, and Dead Rising and its fine no lag or rainbow effect. I think it all depends on what TV you get and what generation of the DLP chip it has...

myNando    9

I have the Samsung 50" HL-S5087W and my 360 looks AMAZING on it. I'm talking almost orgasmic. I played Dead or Alive 4 on it and I just wanted to cry at how beautiful the image was on it. No lag, no rainbow effect, no crappiness...just fast & pure clarity.

I HIGHLY recommend the HL-S5087W. For a DLP HDTV, it has an astounding viewing angle range (170 degrees, I think) so you can view it from almost any angle without the screen looking all dark.

Not only can you hook up your consoles to the HL-S5087W, but you can hook up USB harddrives, digital cameras, flash drives, iPods, almost anything that's storage and has a USB connection and the TV will detect it and you can play mp3s and view images directly from the TV...I haven't tried playing video files yet. :)

Again, I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

ahhell    1,303

I have the Samsung 50" HL-S5087W and my 360 looks AMAZING on it. I'm talking almost orgasmic. I played Dead or Alive 4 on it and I just wanted to cry at how beautiful the image was on it. No lag, no rainbow effect, no crappiness...just fast & pure clarity.

I HIGHLY recommend the HL-S5087W. For a DLP HDTV, it has an astounding viewing angle range (170 degrees, I think) so you can view it from almost any angle without the screen looking all dark.

Not only can you hook up your consoles to the HL-S5087W, but you can hook up USB harddrives, digital cameras, flash drives, iPods, almost anything that's storage and has a USB connection and the TV will detect it and you can play mp3s and view images directly from the TV...I haven't tried playing video files yet. :)

Again, I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

That sounds awesome.

How does standard, crappy cable tv look on it? I know standard cable looks god awful on an LCD.

jerzdawg    338

I currently have the 50" Sony SXRD Grand Wega...1080i/720p(1080p-through an input i will never be able to use) .. this set was actually just replaced by the one you linked to earlier and now fully supports 1080p... I basically only use this TV for my 360 and watching dvds... the picture is beautiful... love playing madden/GRAW/dead rising on this tv.. colors are perfect... I just recently hooked up my pc via the VGA input... it has 2 hdmis/1 vga/2 component and 3 standard red/white/yellow.. just recently i saw this tv on sale for under $2000 because it was just replaced by the new model.. which sells for about $2800... if you want I can take some pics and send them your way if you are interested...

DirtyLarry    2,094

I currently have the 50" Sony SXRD Grand Wega...1080i/720p(1080p-through an input i will never be able to use) .. this set was actually just replaced by the one you linked to earlier and now fully supports 1080p... I basically only use this TV for my 360 and watching dvds... the picture is beautiful... love playing madden/GRAW/dead rising on this tv.. colors are perfect... I just recently hooked up my pc via the VGA input... it has 2 hdmis/1 vga/2 component and 3 standard red/white/yellow.. just recently i saw this tv on sale for under $2000 because it was just replaced by the new model.. which sells for about $2800... if you want I can take some pics and send them your way if you are interested...

jerzdawg is my boy in real life, and i do not know much about TV's so I am by no means an expert here, but i can say this, his TV looks absolutely great to me. i want one no doubt.

magik    25

Yea, actually I stopped by 6th Ave Electronics (on Rt. 17) and took a look at their selection on my lunch break today. Talked to the sales rep and he says best thing for gaming is a rear projection so I wouldn't have to worry about motion blur, fading picture after a few years, etc. I kinda agreed with him and he seemed pretty honest so I think I'm gonna start looking at Rear Projections mainly.

I saw the newer Sony model (SXRD Grand Wega) that you were referring to. It is beautiful. A little bulky, but hopefully it won't be too bad where we're putting it. I will have to take some measurements and figure it out for sure though, of course. What he showed me was the Sony KDS-50A2000 50" SXRD Grand Wega HDTV that fully supports 1080p. It has HDMI, Component and VGA inputs. The price (after a mfg. rebate) was about $2,460 so it seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, they did not have any Samsungs on display, so I will have to check out another store (maybe Electronics Expo) or something and try and compare a similar Samsung set with this Sony set. But I'm leaning towards this Sony for now as I saw no screen-door/rainbow effect and the viewing angle was of the best I have seen in RPTVs.

jerzdawg, if you could post some pics that would be great. Would give me a better idea of what a 50" looks like in a room, size-wise. Thanks!

gunnerhkjp    0

SXRD is beautiful.

If you go for the Samsung DLP, just make sure you don't see the rainbow effect.

Once you see it, you'll see it a lot.

myNando    9
That sounds awesome.

How does standard, crappy cable tv look on it? I know standard cable looks god awful on an LCD.

Standard cable doesn't look that bad. It looks like viewing an ok-quality JPG image, like, you see very little artifacting.

After getting the HDTV, we had digital cable with high definition channels put in and the HD channels look so sweet!...and the HDTV automatically recognizes the HD channels and it switches the screen mode over to widescreen HD.

Out of all of the HD channels, I think "Discovery HD" is the HD channel that looks the most breath-taking...especially when they do under-the-sea, scenery or arial shots.

I <3 my Samsung HDTV!

Matrix XII    38

I got a 62" DLP and I use it everyday for BF2, PRG3, and Dead Rising and its fine no lag or rainbow effect. I think it all depends on what TV you get and what generation of the DLP chip it has...

Yeah, I have a 62" Toshiba DLP as well, and it works like a charm. Looks even better than LCD, DLP is brighter and newer technology.

Digitalx    17

I got a 21" phillips box CRT TV owns u all :D