Zune: confirmed features, Toshiba manufacturing

Zune: confirmed features, Toshiba manufacturing

Multiple previously rumored features of Microsoft's upcoming Zune player have been revealed, courtesy of recent FCC filings. According to the completed test reports, the Zune player will indeed use a 30GB hard drive, support 802.11g wireless and FM radio, and will stream music to nearby Zune players in addition to letting users bookmark songs they would like to buy later. More surprising, though not completely unexpected, is that Microsoft has not assumed responsibility for manufacturing the Zune as it has for its Xbox consoles: the FCC documentation describes the Zune as the "Toshiba 1089 Portable Media Player," indicating that Microsoft sought the expertise of the Gigabeat series creator for the final product rather than control the entire process itself.

Source

They musta cut corners somewhere. :shiftyninja:
Remember that Microsoft has some pretty deep pockets. I'm sure they're willing to lose a little now to reap it later.

$299 doesn't seem like a price MS would lose money at, I imagine Apple makes a hell of a profit on each $299 ipod sold, so MS is probably just reducing their profit % but yet still making one by selling these devices with the extra features compared to the ipod.

$299 doesn't seem like a price MS would lose money at, I imagine Apple makes a hell of a profit on each $299 ipod sold, so MS is probably just reducing their profit % but yet still making one by selling these devices with the extra features compared to the ipod.

The bill of materials on the 30 GB ipod is only about $150, and even tacking on the labor and shipping costs, Apple is making a ton of money off of them. Wifi probably doesn't cost all that much anymore, probably only a few extra dollars for each unit in bulk purchases, that and a company like MS can negotiate better deals on other components as well.

The bill of materials on the 30 GB ipod is only about $150, and even tacking on the labor and shipping costs, Apple is making a ton of money off of them. Wifi probably doesn't cost all that much anymore, probably only a few extra dollars for each unit in bulk purchases, that and a company like MS can negotiate better deals on other components as well.

If I were apple I'd tack on WIFI to the 60GB model. MoMoney! MoMoney! haha