42" Plasma TV [HPR4252]

I've been holding off on buying a new tv, but im not going to school until next year now, so i want a new tv.

Now hopefully bangbang023 can help guide me through this, or some neowin members.. But i hear DLP's arn't very good, and that they burn out and need internal replacement every few years. I know rear projection & rear LCD's are crap, so i am staying far away from that as possible.

this leaves LCD and plasma. I have 2 LCD monitors, very nice, but im worried about backlight leakage from the LCD tv.. But i hear plasma's are way over rated. Im looking for HDTV, for upgrade purposes in the future, and i own an Xbox 360. I'm not interested in Blu-ray, and i may get an HD-DVD player eventually..

I was looking at todays paper and found this from 2001 audio/video.

Any opinions or comments. If you link to other televisions, please do so from bestbuy.ca, 2001audiovideo.com, and futureshop.ca.

im not familiar with your new york lingo.. im assuming it's not a very good set.. but a good price. I don't have $3000 to drop on a tv.. well i do, but not for a tv :no:

Tbh I find it hard to recommend Samsung, where I work (currys) weve had more samsung TVs back more than any other brand. Whether its just back luck i'm not sure but I wouldn't risk buying samsung when it comes to build quality

im not familiar with your new york lingo.. im assuming it's not a very good set.. but a good price. I don't have $3000 to drop on a tv.. well i do, but not for a tv :no:

The set is old and not that great. I'd recommend either of these sets for your budget:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/HPS4253XXAA.asp

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...000000000005702

this leaves LCD and plasma. I have 2 LCD monitors, very nice, but im worried about backlight leakage from the LCD tv.. But i hear plasma's are way over rated.

I'm unimpressed by plasma and the life-span issues have kept me away - I know they have improved a lot recently but so have LCDs.

NEway, after browsing the local store I found a lovely Toshiba LCD, the 37WLT66, and it blew away the other TVs on display (high contrast, clarity, brightness) - it also featured dual-HDMI and HDCP, so beat the 42" Samsung they had on display. Having now hooked up an Xbox360 and SkyHD I can say that I'm very happy with it. I was not expecting to go for a Toshiba, as I set out expecting to get a Samsung or LG, but being able to compare the monitors all running side-by-side really changed that.

We'll thanks for your imput, but i went to 2001audiovideo, and it sucked.. so i went over to bestbuy, which had a lot more selection.

I looked at both Plasma and LCD tv's and i actually liked the LCD a lot more. The plasma's were over priced for my wallet, and a lot of them looked ****ty. There was one by Insignia that was jumping like crazy, until it was fixed, then it looked really nice.

But i remembered what bangbang said "you get what you pay for" so i left the Plasma section to go shop for LCD. I found this great LG 37" LCD HDTV. I got an open-box offer, got them to reduce the price if i got warrenty (got the 4 years), and i got a power surge protection, which they took money off the price as well.. i love bargining with bestbuy :p

this is the tv i ended up buying, LG DU-37LZ55 37" HDTV Monitor LCD Television

DU-37LZ55_lg.gif

i am very happy with my purchase.. The price was $1800, but i got it reduced so much, i think i ended up paying $1550 for it in the end (without tax)

I'd be careful with LCD. It tends to "burn images" into the screen.

E.g. If you watch Fox alot - it's very likely that the fox logo will burn itself into the corner of the screen. Other than that though, looks nice :)

I'd be careful with LCD. It tends to "burn images" into the screen.

E.g. If you watch Fox alot - it's very likely that the fox logo will burn itself into the corner of the screen. Other than that though, looks nice :)

LCD doesn't get burn in. While temporary image retention is possible, it's almost never seen. You're thinking of plasma.

Nice choice and good bargaining. I've never seen the set in person, so I can't comment on it's quality. As long as you're happy, though, that's what matters.

LCD doesn't get burn in. While temporary image retention is possible, it's almost never seen. You're thinking of plasma.

Nice choice and good bargaining. I've never seen the set in person, so I can't comment on it's quality. As long as you're happy, though, that's what matters.

thanks bangbang, the guy i talked to was actually really cool, and told me everything about it.. if it was all a lie, im not sure, but he seemed 100% honest. He told me about the manager forcing service plans, and why the box was opened, yada yada.

I've been playing around with the tv, and it's the best purchase ive made all year :D

heres a few pictures!

and the last one

post-42644-1156635228_thumb.jpg

post-42644-1156635244_thumb.jpg

post-42644-1156635469_thumb.jpg