• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[car] 6x9s... Alpine Type S or Type R

shockz    5,513

Alright... I'm looking in to getting some new 6x9's... and I'd like to stay away from pioneer for now.

I was looking at a few brands... and in order to help me decide I need to know which is better...

Alpine Type S... or Type R. Type R's seem to cost more and a general rule of thumb in the audio market is you get what you pay for... but I've heard conflicting views from people that S' are better than R's.

I'm leaning toward the R's however... anybody have any input???

shockz    5,513

Got the Type R's... installing them right now. I'll let you know how the quality is

shockz    5,513

Installed... sounded like crap... returned them... I'll stick with pioneer for now

cesardrgn    0

For front speakers pioneers are the best. they give you the best highs and mids... :yes:

S550    91

my friend has a set of type-S his sounds damn nice and stock head unit.

gigapixels    99
For front speakers pioneers are the best. they give you the best highs and mids... :yes:

I have to disagree. I've got Polk Audio 3-ways, and they sound absolutely amazing. The highs and mids are much better than my previous speakers, which happened to be Pioneer 4-ways. Don't get me wrong, Pioneers are great, but if you can afford it, go for some Polks.

shockz    5,513
my friend has a set of type-S his sounds damn nice and stock head unit.

They sounded great with just a head unit... but when I tried putting them on a bigger amp with a power output of 55 watts RMS (what the speakers wanted... with a max of 275) they sounded like crap with the gain only set half way. They distorted when I put my volume up over 30%. My pioneers don't start having issues until I crank the volume up over 60%... with the gain almost turned all the way up. I was looking for a bit better bass... but didn't get the quality I wanted... and they were pretty pricey too... 140 bucks. My subs will have to do all the work for the bass atm.

frozentoast    0

type rs are crap

my type s's are amazing!!! i can crank it way up and they never get distorted running off of my profile ap740 amp