Windows Vista RC1 build 5600 released

Honestly, why do people care how much RAM windows uses. Personally, I would love to see RAM usage of 100% because that means it's being used for something. Do you people actually realize that the second another program, such as Photoshop or a game needs the RAM, Windows gives it to them. High RAM usage is NOT a bad thing.

i couldnt agree more....i mean whats the point of having 2 gigs of RAM if you dont want windows to use it ??

Calm down, dude. Here's a concept of it to give you a fix.

lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I would say it's not a problem of RAM usage, more of the problem of responsiveness. The more RAM you have, the more responsive the OS will feel. The RAM it's hogging up is used for speeding up the OS and launching apps and etc, and will be released to apps that need it.

Honestly, why do people care how much RAM windows uses. Personally, I would love to see RAM usage of 100% because that means it's being used for something. Do you people actually realize that the second another program, such as Photoshop or a game needs the RAM, Windows gives it to them. High RAM usage is NOT a bad thing.

You don't understand. Lets say you have an OS with a big monolithic kernel (like Windows). That kernel sits in memory and has it's own address space (lets say addresses 100-200 out of 1000 total for simplicity) which other programs cannot use. Furthermore, the OS will not just take up a bunch of excess memory (say 100-800) and allow other programs to use some of this excess when they need it. It doesn't work like that for many reasons. One reason is that it would be very difficult for the system to keep track of where a certain program's data and variables are held since they could be spread out all over the memory (it's not actually one contiguous block for each program but they ARE split up into blocks called pages and theres a table that helps map these pages and the table would be enormous if variables for a program were spread out all over the place).

Besides the technical mumbo jumbo a program shouldn't be taking up huge amounts of memory. You shouldn't be happy if it is. Programmers are taught to keep their programs efficient and robust...notice how RAM usage has been going down as the Vista development has been progressing? That's because they're always trying to reduce memory usage.

i couldnt agree more....i mean whats the point of having 2 gigs of RAM if you dont want windows to use it ??

lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, I don't know, maybe the RAM can be used for other things:

Office apps

Burning apps

Games

Audio players

etc etc etc

You want Windows to use as LITTLE memory as possible so all the other programs can better utilize the hardware without worrying that Windows is hogging all the resources. Are you new to computers? jk

Well theres been new sounds in Vista since Pre-RC1, I hate them, there like 2 seconds, I hope they change them... the sounds i heard are the ones wen user account control comes up nd wen u logon nd logoff.....

Oh, I don't know, maybe the RAM can be used for other things:

Office apps

Burning apps

Games

Audio players

etc etc etc

You want Windows to use as LITTLE memory as possible so all the other programs can better utilize the hardware without worrying that Windows is hogging all the resources. Are you new to computers? jk

u missed my point or maybee i didnt make it clear enough......if i have 2gigs of RAM i want Windows to use it as much as possible....i mean it makes no sence to me that at times i have 1.5 gigs free on my XP box and its still using the pagefile, pagefile should only be used when ur outta RAM.....BUT when i open up an app it should yield that RAM to that app so it can run smoothly ....iam not saying that windows should hog up all the RAM and not let any applications use it :rolleyes:

Edited by ranasrule

6600GT definately works with all effects - I tried it out on I think a February CTP build and it did work even though Vista was pretty unusable back then...

is there a new bootscreen

All they have done is Made the loading Bar on it a horrid Green nothing special.

+

Windows Vista RC1 will be available in the coming weeks.

Source

how do you make it so you can choose whether to shut down, or restart etc

i dont want MS deciding for me whats best about shutting down or whatever

i have a laptop too,,when iw ant to shut down, i want to shut down, then i want to restart i want to restart

thats about the only thing thats really ****ing me off.

is there any way to change that behavior?

how do you make it so you can choose whether to shut down, or restart etc

i dont want MS deciding for me whats best about shutting down or whatever

i have a laptop too,,when iw ant to shut down, i want to shut down, then i want to restart i want to restart

thats about the only thing thats really ****ing me off.

is there any way to change that behavior?

umm since when would microsoft not let you restart or shutdonw if you want , that wont happen what are you smokeing man . all ya do is clik the errow next to the lock icon in the start button and choose what ya want.

so agian what are you smokeing

To change the 'Turn Off' button's function in the start menu:

1. Click Start

2. Click Control Panel

3. Click System and Maintenance

4. Click Power Options

5. Click Change Plan Settings for the Power plan you use (will be selected)

6. Click Change Advanced Power Settings

7. Expand the Power Buttons and lid option

8. Expand the Start Menu power button option

9. Use the drop down to choose between Sleep, Hibernation or Shutdown.

10. Click Ok and then Save Changes

11. The button should update in a few moments.

dont know if anyone posted this, i didnt see anything but if u hold the windows key on ur keyboard and push tab u can use the flip 3d thing instead of clickin it at the bottom of the taskbark in the quick launch

dont know if anyone posted this, i didnt see anything but if u hold the windows key on ur keyboard and push tab u can use the flip 3d thing instead of clickin it at the bottom of the taskbark in the quick launch

Are you kiddin me right?! :no: