Service Manual for Samsung SlimFits!

I was doing a bit of googling about the geometry problems with the Samsung SlimFit CRT HDTVs, and came across this recent post at geekswithblogs:

http://geekswithblogs.net/gaijin42/archive...H_best_buy.aspx

He posted the service manual in plain text, and said he will send the full PDF to those who ask.

I've requested a copy of the service manual and if I get one, I'll post it here. I think there may be a few other Slimfit owners out there, so I thought this might prove helpful.

**EDIT 09/11/2006**

The PDF is now available via the blog entry above. All the data is nice and neat, and there are even pictures to help. Good stuff.

Edited by Jack31081

Good to know. We just had a display model go nuts at work where the corners came in making the image look like one of those maps that show the earth as an ellipse in an attempt to get the geometry correct.

Good to know. We just had a display model go nuts at work where the corners came in making the image look like one of those maps that show the earth as an ellipse in an attempt to get the geometry correct.

That's kinda what I had, but it was only the upper right corner. Any movie that was more than 1.85:1 would look like someone had stepped on the top right corner, as the letterbox bowed down. And any 4:3 image looked like someone had punched in the corner, as it bowed to the left.

But I gotta say, this service manual's done wonders. It's a bit hard to decipher in plain text, but it's pretty much like this:

-Turn TV off.

-Press MUTE - 1 - 8 - 2 - Power to turn TV on and enter Service Mode (may require 2 attempts)

From there, you want to use the Deflection menu. Some of it's straightforward, the same as modifying the image on a CRT computer monitor. Horizontal and Vertical size and positioning. Parabola, trapezoid, angle. But then there's a slew of more 'unique' adjustments It took a while, but in conjunction with my Avia DVDs test patterns, I managed to correct my geometry issues. 16:9 images are now straight as an arrow and they fit in the screen (centered, etc). I can actually read the entire scroller at the bottom of ESPN! 4:3 images are still a hair off, but I'm sure if I had more experience with the different adjustments and how they interacted with each other, I'd be able to nail it.

There are also some other options, many dealing with color issues, some dealing with what options are visible in the TV's regular menu. Neat stuff.

I actually planned on buying the SlimFit HDTV. Guess I won't be getting it.

Well, I have the first gen model. I don't know if the newer models still have those issues. But either way, I can now say they are definitely fixable, if you're willing to read through the manual and spend an hour or so banging it out. Disregarding the geometry problems, it's a good HDTV for the price. BestBuy's selling the new 30" SlimFit for what, $749? You're looking at double that for a 30" LCD. In the end I guess it's kinda like buyin' a fixer-upper in the burbs versus a condo on central park west.

Oh, and that annoying 4sec. delay between turning the set on and having the picture display?

Yeah, you can get rid of that through the service menu as well :D

Oh, and that annoying 4sec. delay between turning the set on and having the picture display?

Yeah, you can get rid of that through the service menu as well :D

Damn, thats nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hi... i've a Slimfit CRT model CS-29Z30 model which dont have PIP option but, when i entered in to the service menu and turn the PIP option on. now every time i turn on the TV.. a black screen comes up and after 4/5 sec it goen to stand by again. can any onw tell me how can i reset the settings. thnx in advanced

Will the service menu command in Jack31081's post work for the Samsung WS32Z40HN? (it's called that on Samsung's australian website).

I don't notice geometry issues that much, except notably when playing "Mortal Kombat Armageddon" on PS2. The right side of the screen looks kinda weird, no matter the aspect ratio.