Crocodile Man Steve Irwin dead

It wasn't till I was listening to some of the smaller radio stations on the way home, that I realised just how much of Australia love this man.

He cared for, and loved his country, and he made sure the world could see it. Such national icons don't come around often.

Holy Crap.

Supposedly this was meant to be the last documentary he ever filmed...talk about irony..

Poor guy...R.I.P, mate and all the best to his family..

He was a true Aussie icon and did some great things in his life..

I just don't know what to say. Steve was a man, who knew his calling and never let anyone get in his way. He truly loved the animal kingdom and respected the fact that we should be sharing the world with them, not killing them..

Even thou, Steve had his quirks he symbolised what characters us Australians are. Australia will miss you Steve. You were a LEGEND!!!

It wasn't till I was listening to some of the smaller radio stations on the way home, that I realised just how much of Australia love this man.

He cared for, and loved his country, and he made sure the world could see it. Such national icons don't come around often.

Yeah I think a lot of people will miss him Australian and from around the Globe.

The media has also been very respectful everything I have seen so far been very tasteful and respectful.

Supposedly this was meant to be the last documentary he ever filmed...talk about irony..

What really have not heard that one yet . . . . jez

Shocking as I came very close to a large (1 to 2 Meter its hard to tell under the water) stingray a couple of weeks ago while snorkeling where I Live in Sardinia, Italy. Never knew you could die from a stingray sting.

he was a brilliant man. did heaps for environment. i fully thought of him as immortal... boy. who could not like this champion! what a guy. i love him. rip steve, you were an awesome personality.

Super cool guy gets barbed by a stingray. That is so nuts. Ive always wondered what them barbs did and had no idea it could puncture the chest or be used for stabbing. Thats just crazy trippy. My last beer of the night will be in his honor. Die doing what you love the most. Props.

As I tell my Mom, who hates me doing anything dangerous, I would rather live my life doing what I love then worry about dying and doing nothing.

If your so scared that you live your life in a bubble, when that bubble finally pops you'll wished you climbed that mountain, or danced that slow dance, or jumped that jump, or swam with that Stingray.

Steve lived more in 44 years then most of us will in 88.

Steve will be missed but not forgotten.

R.I.P.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray

Dasyatids do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up. This attack is normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks. Humans are usually stung in the foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung "accidentally" by brushing against the stinger. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound, as well as from seawater entering the wound. Fatal ray stings, such as that which killed Australian environmentalist Steve Irwin, are rare but can occur if stings are improperly treated, sever major arteries, or are in the pelvic region or chest.[1]

:(

poor him

Absoloutely devastated to hear this news :(.

Steve was a very passionate man and loved what he did, he was one of the bravest people going. He did so much for Australia, and for it's environment. He will be missed greatly.

My thought's are with his wife and children.

May he Rest In Peace.

I hate to be blunt, but I knew it was only a matter of time (because of what he does).

I feel sorry for the guy and his family though...

True, you play with fire that much you are going to get burnt.

Steve had a bit of an image problem here in Australia in his early years, I remember I had a problem with him years ago. I changed my opinion years ago when I realised that he wasn't an act, and found out about the work he does toweard conservation and environmentalism.

Just looking at this link here

It focuses heavily on the entertainment work that Steve Irwin did (documentaries, TV shows, movies, petting zoos, etc).

I think that articles (like the wikipedia one) that are about Steve's life should mention more about the things that he did for the environment rather than his entertainment values. I know overseas he is mostly known as an entertainer, but in Australia, I think he is better known as a passionate environmentalist rather than an entertainer (this is especially true for his later years).

Holy cow! I was just looking at him on my friends austrailian holiday snaps booklet yesterday!! :cry: :cry:

He will be missed. No more impressions. :cry: :cry: RIP

Wow, reading on bbc news it says

"Attacks on humans are a rarity - only one other person is known to have died in Australia from a stingray attack, at St Kilda, Melbourne in 1945."

how unlucky can you get?

poor guy, RIP :(