[UK] Pre-order the BD-P1000 at Play.com today!

Play.com have officially started taking pre-orders for the first Blu-Ray player, the Samsung BD-P1000, at a listed price of ?1000 (or ?999.99 if you're picky) and a release date of 20/10/2006.

CLICK ME

Specs:

* Real HD(1920x1080) BD-Movie Title Playback

* Backward Compatibility with DVD/CD

* HDMI Digital Interface

* 10in2 Multi Memory Card Slot

* Improved Menu Features (Pop-up menu, Always-on menu)

* Improved Subtitle Features (Adjustable Text Colour & Size, Fade In/Out Effect)

Description:

Blu-ray disc is a revolution...

The highest definition picture...

The best sound you have ever heard...

The richest interactive features and connectivity...

Nic:D:D Blu-Ray is almost here!

But where are the UK HD-DVD players?

* Improved Subtitle Features (Adjustable Text Colour & Size, Fade In/Out Effect) <--- will that actually work on the fly? Why not add subtitle positioning too, some subs are just way off the charts. But anyway, me likes :p

I will wait until one of the format drops or merges with the other, or if not, I will buy a combo drive.

However, ?1000 for a Bluray player is I N S A N E ! ! !

Wow, double the US price? I hope this pricing is only specific to play.com and that other shops are cheaper. It'll probably still be a while before I get a blu-ray player.

Wow, double the US price? I hope this pricing is only specific to play.com and that other shops are cheaper. It'll probably still be a while before I get a blu-ray player.

Play.com will probably be cheaper than most shops. :pinch: :no:

It makes the PS3 a viable option. Then again so did the PS2 when that came out, it was my first DVD player :)

Bought the S-Video leads for it and the picture quality was amazing.

This is to much. i don't really think blu ray will beat HD-DVD as far as i know HD-DVD still uses a similar structure to DVD. And it just a differnt lens. that allows for a much tigher space on the disk. And it also supports something like 3 codecs.

And i think for people to make HD-DVD only requires some minor changes

This unit sucks. I'd advise against buying it.

I second this. I would wait for the players from sony, panasonic, and pioneer as this samsung has proven to be less than stellar in the US.

It would be easier to hold off if the possibility of getting a PS3 at launch wasn't so bleak ;)

I went to COMPUSA today, and was surprised to see a blu-ray section, with quite a lot of titles on display.

It would be easier to hold off if the possibility of getting a PS3 at launch wasn't so bleak ;)

I went to COMPUSA today, and was surprised to see a blu-ray section, with quite a lot of titles on display.

FutureShop and BestBuy here have display of both Bluray and HD-DVD with many titles on display (most are of so-so movies?!).

I've noticed that most movies released for both formats have ben So So as well. Come on give us some of the big hit movies and the animation ones in HD.

Also i'm trying to figure out this

Will the non HD film movies be more expensive because they had to be re captured from the reel and what not.

OR

Will new movies filmed in HD be cheaper because they are filmed in HD

Or

Will new movies filmed in HD be expensive because studios want to recoup money on equipment brought

I've noticed that most movies released for both formats have ben So So as well. Come on give us some of the big hit movies and the animation ones in HD.

Also i'm trying to figure out this

Will the non HD film movies be more expensive because they had to be re captured from the reel and what not.

OR

Will new movies filmed in HD be cheaper because they are filmed in HD

Or

Will new movies filmed in HD be expensive because studios want to recoup money on equipment brought

HD movies will be more expensive because they can market them as being HD!