Zune Aims To Be 'Cool' To Compete With the iPod

Supposedly it's going to have a built-in FM transmitter, right?

I think that's one of the coolest things about it. I could have my Zune and get into my friend's car who has no tape adapter or other special hook-up, and "beam" my music right to their car's radio without carrying around any extra accessories (and sepereate power sources).

Am I the only person that likes the name Zune?:((

Trust me, your not. I think it sounds really good, probably the most competitive name you can think of to this date in comparison to the iPod. :))

It's what made the iPod the success it is today.

I disagree strongly with that remark. iPod is the best portable music device I've ever owned. It always just works, simple as that. I've never had any problems with it and I treat it like crap. It is scratched up and banged up to hell and still works like a champ. Maybe I just got an exceptional peice off the assembly line, but I've had other MP3 players that were just complete crap in the end. iPod became cool because Apple sold a solid product.

I guess that makes me an Apple "Fanboy" to some of you. I'm just a satisfied customer. Not that impressed w/ my Mac Mini. But the iPod is a champ in my book.

If Microsoft's angle is that Zune will be more "popular" then iPod then they've got it wrong. Just get a solid player to market at a good price and everyone will love you for it because people are interested in good functionality. Most people are not into looking cool.

I am personally peranoid when I am listening to my iPod out in public and keep to the black headphones and not taking it out of my pocket. I don't feel like getting mugged over something so silly.

ha...

there is NOTHING cool about ANYTHING microsoft. mentioning that brand to a girl is just shooting yourself in the foot, they will never be able to achieve what apple did. no amount of marketing is ever gonna make it "cool" to own microsoft mp3 player instead of an ipod.

my post has nothing to do with supporting one over the other by the way, but just think about how your friends/family/gf's react to microsoft, they associate it with "nerds and geeky" where apple is associated with "ipod" even though they are a computer company.

Xbox 360? :whistle:

It always just works, simple as that.

So do all the other mp3 players out there. Functionality isn't an advantage - it's an excuse for those who are too lazy or incompetent to learn how to work another product. I'm sure people will disagree with me here, but it's what I believe. We are the smartest species on the planet, and yet some of us can't or won't operate something as simple as an mp3 player which isn't an iPod? That just doesn't cut it for me.

zune, lol, very cool

doesn't microsoft realise that it is a really bad name!

zune, lol, very cool

doesn't microsoft realise that it is a really bad name!

Yeah but.... you wrote that twice... :blink:

If you don't like the name, don't worry, the media will convince you otherwise. Look at some of the fantastic band names that are/were huge thanks to massive media blitz: Black Eyed Peas? c'mon! The list goes all. The name is not near as imortant as the image that they can get you to assiciate it with.

So do all the other mp3 players out there. Functionality isn't an advantage - it's an excuse for those who are too lazy or incompetent to learn how to work another product. I'm sure people will disagree with me here, but it's what I believe. We are the smartest species on the planet, and yet some of us can't or won't operate something as simple as an mp3 player which isn't an iPod? That just doesn't cut it for me.

I do not doubt there are other MP3 players on the market that "just work." I'm just saying that I haven't had good results with the RioVOLT or the RIO 128MB player, if you want specifics. When I got my iPod, it was 100X better. If my statement would have been "The iPod just works, unlike ALL other players on the market which really suck ass right now," then your backlash would have been resonable. But people for some reason or another are just angry at apple or something, i dunno what the problem is.

Yeah but.... you wrote that twice... :blink:

Double post, they sometimes merge into one.

i wish they would release Vista Zune!

Wtf. If you mean, vista on a handheld device, the thought of that makes me sick.