Yamaha's New YSP800

DeAd-EyE

This looks like it could be promising

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP/YSP800.jsp

Has anyone who has tried it have anything good or bad to say about it?

do you think it would work in my room type? I've got the TV against the far wall, two side walls, and the couch smack in the middle but i don't have a rear wall to reflect off of (rear wall is about 50 feet back..the room is rectangle shaped).

bangbang023

I haven't heard it, but even as the Yamaha rep was explaining it to me, behind my false interest, I was thinking "bull****". You'd need an almost perfectly square room with closed walls to get this to almost work. Even then, it's not going to be anything amazing.

DeAd-EyE

I haven't heard it, but even as the Yamaha rep was explaining it to me, behind my false interest, I was thinking "bull****". You'd need an almost perfectly square room with closed walls to get this to almost work. Even then, it's not going to be anything amazing.

i'm in the same boat..i want to believe it works well..i really do..but i doubt it..especially in my case i'll have no rear channels from it.

SonComet

I know someone who has it, but the room is less than ideal and it's not really set up other than the default. In 5 beam mode it sounds fuller than in stereo mode but still nothing great. I can't hear anything coming from behind on it in 5 beam mode. It just sounds wider. The sound quality is not all that great. Much better than the stock speakers on any tv, but empty and thin sounding compared to fullsized speakers. He has a ysp-800 a random sub and a room that has a wall on every side but the right side. But the room has tile floor, tons of glass windows with no curtains, and a big brick fireplace, so it's not an ideal room for sound at all.

I would just try it for yourselves though. Most places have no problems with people returning speakers since they are so room/setup dependent.