Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 VS Nikon D80 VS Canon XTi

A100D80RebelXTi_frontS.jpg

Sept 12th, 2006.

With Canon's recent announcement of the Canon Digital Rebel XTi / 400D (their 10.1 MP update to the popular Canon Digital Rebel XT), the competition in the double digit megapixel digital SLR market aimed at the entry level to photo enthusiast has certainly heated up.

The main players in this segment now consist of the Sony Alpha A100, the Nikon D80 and the Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

The Sony A100 digital SLR with the Sony DT Alpha 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens has a current manufacturer's recommended retail price (MSRP) of $1199 Canadian, the Nikon D80 with AF-S DX 18-135mm ED Nikkor zoom has an MSRP of $1549 and the Nikon D80 with with the AF-S DX 18-55mm ED kit zoom lens will sell for $1349 CDN.

The Canon Rebel XTi with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens comes in at the most affordable print point with an MSRP of $1099 CDN.

To make it easier to compare between the Sony A100, Nikon D80 and the Rebel XTi without having to dwell into all the specification details we have provided a general overview between these cameras and added our own observations. Read the conclusions below.

More details and conclusions: digitalreview.ca

IMO, the nikon has the least features and as I've said in previous posts, even though I'm a nikon owner, just based on specs, i'd go with the XTi, however, i've yet to see ISO performance from the later 2, the A100 ISO performance doesn't really impress...

wow, how can you say that with all the options that D80 offer!

colors filters, B&W, daylighting 3200ISO, a way better viewfinder than the 2 others (coming from the D200)

i agree, i would take the D80 in a heart beat over the other 2

wow, how can you say that with all the options that D80 offer!

colors filters, B&W, daylighting 3200ISO, a way better viewfinder than the 2 others (coming from the D200)

Well, The dust busting feature is a way better feature than in camera editing IMO ( color filters, b&W etc..), which are probably even better of done in PS. Dust is really a pain :rolleyes:

Although, i've yet to see ISO tests from the d80 and XTI ( anxiously waiting at dpreview and dcresource :p), what would be the best selling point, for me at least, High ISO with low noise beats the any other feature in my book.

Also, I didn't say I chose any of them based on performance, only what I've read and, in any case, It would be Nikon :shiftyninja: , All i meant is the average joe ( me :p) would prefer the camera sensor "cleaning" itself(although I'm guessing the dust buster thingy doesn't completely assure you won't ever have to clean you sensor :p ), rather than doing it yourself.

Of course PRO's are going to prefer a better viewfinder, the D80s almost "Auto-ISO". Heck, if the d50 did a pretty good job vrs the XT ( and it having 2 more MP, even though "they don't mean anything" :rolleyes: ), I honestly can't wait to see these two perform side by side.

I agree with you that dust busting is an awesome feature. But personally, I prefer having built in stuff like color filter and B&W since I'm pretty useless with photoshop heheh

I wish I had skills :(

Built in or photoshop color features are garbage vs a proper set of filters, IMO.

I agree but do you always bring your filters with you? Don't you find it annoying to switch from your blue to a normal UV or circular polarizing filter?

I agree but do you always bring your filters with you? Don't you find it annoying to switch from your blue to a normal UV or circular polarizing filter?

I do bring them all the time. They are my "american express" :p

And no. I dont find it annoying. Since 90% of my photos are conceptual (previously planned) I have all the time to switch between them, also since I already have a previous idea of the color I just use the one I want in the photoshoot, without experiments.

But I do see your point :yes: