? on "unread mail waiting" and desktop icons...

Hi all! 2 quick questions: I helped my friend install his windows XP yesterday. Some odd stuff happened though. 1st, he has 4 accounts - 1 for him and 3 for his daughters. On his and his 2nd daughter's account, it says he has "6 unread mail messages." He uses AOL as his ISP, so I don't know where the unread mail is coming from. What's even weirder; he has 6, his 2nd daughter has 2 unread messages, and the other accounts have none. I've opened Outlook express just in case, but there's only the 1 "welcome" letter, and we've since marked it as read. Any ideas?

"?" #2 has to do with accounts as well. When he deletes an icon form his daughter's desktop (in her account), he says the icon disappears from his as well. I thought that each user in XP had thier own desktop folder?!?! He did an Upgrade from Win 98; I was wondering if that may have had something to do with it. thanks in advance for your help!

~SilverWulf

The unread mail one, do the daughters use MSN Messenger at all with a Hotmail/MSN address as the Passport? If so, that's where the unread mail is coming from. You can use the TweakUI that comes w/ Powertoys for XP to remove mail from the welcome screen.

#2:

In C:Documents and Settings there is a folder (usually) called All Users and in here there are folders for Start Menu, Desktop, Favourites etc. Any icon in these is integrated into every user's settings when they log on and my guess is that the icon he deleted from his desktop was an icon that was being shared with all users by being in the All Users folder.

Hope this helps, lmk if you need any more help.

pct

the TweakUI thing will definitely do the trick : ). Still don't know what mail they're refering to, though, as there are no hotmail or MSN accounts on the system.

As far as teh desktop thing... I thought about that after I left, but think it too complicated to relay to him over the phone :p. I'll try dragging his icons to his desktop and vice-versa. Thank you both!!

~SilverWulf

:D