sound problems

i formatted my computer and now my msn wont make the usual noises it makes...sometimes it does but most of the times it doesnt...pretty much its eithre silent..or it makes like a static noise or beep kinda thing....almost like its bout to make the sound but it gets interrupted right away...anyone know how i can fix it?

:huh: Maybe you need to reinstall the right sound drivers for sound card. Check the web site for your particular card.

You may want to click Start/Run, then type in dxdiag in the box. It may show what's wrong.

You may need to update to DirectX 9c or 10; free from Microsoft.

:huh: Maybe you need to reinstall the right sound drivers for sound card. Check the web site for your particular card.

You may want to click Start/Run, then type in dxdiag in the box. It may show what's wrong.

You may need to update to DirectX 9c or 10; free from Microsoft.

i checked there everything shows up fine with no problems i even did the extra testing and they were all successfull....i mean the only time i have this problem is with msn...i've tried reinstalling but that did nothing.... i even tried formatting again but same thing happens...what could it be?