Component Cable

Hey,

What I'm wondering is: does component input require a special set of cables or will regular RCA component cables work just fine? Like the ones we used in the olden days with red, white, and yellow - or do I need specific cables with green, blue, and red?

That's about it :p

Hey,

What I'm wondering is: does component input require a special set of cables or will regular RCA component cables work just fine? Like the ones we used in the olden days with red, white, and yellow - or do I need specific cables with green, blue, and red?

That's about it :p

Nah. Same coaxial cable. It will work with the old red, white and yellow.

The only difference i can think of is the new "component" cables are better shielded and broader that the old composite ones. But i think thaat about it.

Mr.Ed

Nah. Same coaxial cable. It will work with the old red, white and yellow.

The only difference i can think of is the new "component" cables are better shielded and broader that the old composite ones. But i think thaat about it.

Mr.Ed

I have not tried to use the standard cables but I am almost 100% positive that you need the red/blue/green component cables for the component input/output... mainly because component does not carry audio. If you TV supports it the picture quality would be much better through component.

I have not tried to use the standard cables but I am almost 100% positive that you need the red/blue/green component cables for the component input/output... mainly because component does not carry audio. If you TV supports it the picture quality would be much better through component.

Thats true, component dos NOT carry audio, but the cables are the same. Those are coaxial cables, and they make no difference if they are for sound or video. Its the same analog signal.

That said, connect composite cables incorrectly, i mean, the yellow in the red, the white in the yellow, and the red in the white. As long as they correspont to the input device (in the same order) they will work.

Mr.Ed

If Yellow/White/Red can be used on component input/outputs, then whats the point of the expensive component cables everyone sells?

Different materials, different shields, thicker gauges, etc etc

Yea bought 2 $150 of these cables for my plasma, big fellas :p Now to the issue? Can you trouble shoot it down, try using a different output on the dvd player such as standard AV. Is your tv set to use the component doovers? I cant really help you it wasnt me that set the plasma up (props to pioneer). Maybe the TV manual may help?

If Yellow/White/Red can be used on component input/outputs, then whats the point of the expensive component cables everyone sells?

Also, the video, or yellow, in a lot of cases is a thicker gauge than the red/white cables, and are shielded better. I wouldn't want to mix wire thicknesses or shielding like that by using them as component cables.