Best 40-42" LCD/DLP/Plasma right now?

Well I'm in the Market for a new TV to replace my current 28" CRT television that has served me well for quite a few years + I want to go HD.

I live in the UK and we recently just got HD sets and HD Cable/Sat providers and I figure my ageing TV could do with a replacement. But I don't know anything about what is good/bad about HDTVs I just know the features they hold, I cant pick a good one from a bad one and a little help goes a long way :D

Specs I would like:

40 or 42"

LCD or Plasma or DLP whichever you think is best.

1xDVI or 1xHDMI connector with HDCP (Requirement)

Built in speakers (Optional)

1xScart (Requirement)

1080i resolution (Requirement. Preferably 1024/1440 or higher)

Component (Optional)

Freeview DVB-T Decoder (Not Needed/Not Required)

Cable-Card (Not needed/Not Required)

I want to spend between ?1000 and ?1,500 ($1,900-$2850 USD) for the TV I think that will be enough to get a decent one? I already have Surround Sound speakers but it would be nice for the TV to have some sort of built in ones just in case. I know it will be difficult for non-UK citizens to give advice on which TV to buy as not all are sold here yet but if you know of a good set please recommend it and I will try and hunt it down. I am happy to buy it online/overseas or in-store.

Also of note I plan to use the TV over a DVI connection from my Server for a MCE set-up it will also be hooked up-to a Satellite receiver through an RGB-SCART connection until I get Sky-HD from my Satellite provider at which point the TV will be connected solely to the Satellite receiver through a HDMI (With HDCP requirement) cable.

actually the Hitachi 42hds69 is a 1080i plasma that can be had for 2 grand. I bought it and i think its the best one out there for the price.

I'd have to disagree with your opinion. My opinion of the sets is quite opposite. I despise the crappy black levels they offer.

I'd have to disagree with your opinion. My opinion of the sets is quite opposite. I despise the crappy black levels they offer.

i dunno i think the black levels look much better than an on panny. but whatever everyone has diff opinions.

Consumer Reports recommends the Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000 / 2010. It can be found for around $1600 here in the US. It is one of the best LCDs out there in my opinion and if you're going to be gaming that could be the way to go. If you want image quality and you won't be playing a lot of games or using the TV as a computer screen then go plasma and they think the Panasonic TH-42PX60U is the way to go. The only downside to that choice is the unnattractive silver bezel. It looks more like a fancy computer LCD screen than a high end TV. Check some of the reviews on pricegrabber or epinions and you will see these are highly rated.

Consumer Reports recommends the Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000 / 2010. It can be found for around $1600 here in the US. It is one of the best LCDs out there in my opinion and if you're going to be gaming that could be the way to go. If you want image quality and you won't be playing a lot of games or using the TV as a computer screen then go plasma and they think the Panasonic TH-42PX60U is the way to go. The only downside to that choice is the unnattractive silver bezel. It looks more like a fancy computer LCD screen than a high end TV. Check some of the reviews on pricegrabber or epinions and you will see these are highly rated.

Consumer Reports bases their decision too much on cost. I've lost my respect for them. That Sony they recommend has relatively poor black levels when compared to other LCD's on the market in the same price range.

Consumer Reports bases their decision too much on cost. I've lost my respect for them. That Sony they recommend has relatively poor black levels when compared to other LCD's on the market in the same price range.

Can you make a suggestion for me then? I need a 40"+ LCD for $1800 or less that has the best bang for the buck. I don't really plan on buying until after Christmas when prices come down even more but any ideas would be appreciated.

My father-in-law just bought a 46" samsung panel link

I have never seen any better image in store than samsung. However, some other company offer some good technology. Sharp with their 2 pixel on pixel in case one burns, the other one works. Panasonic that will change your panel as soon as you have 1 dead px!

You need 1 square inch of dead pixel in the samsung to be able to replace it but oh well, the image is so darn hot!

I would recommand any of the samsung size panel.

ps: thanks for the tip Bangbang (Y)

None of the TV's you're looking for are going to have 1080i. They'll either be 720p or 1080p.

Most 720p LCDS are capable of displaying a 1080i signal, I know mine is.

I think I've decided on either the 42" or 46" Sony LCD Projection TV. I've seen it in action where I work and they are both available online for less than $1200 shipped. Even with a new lamp in 2 or 3 years it's still a better deal. Plus my cable is all digital around here so the picture quality should be very good.

I'd go with the 42", just to be safe, if I were you. I find hat as you near that 50" mark, the screen door effect becomes more apparent.

I don't mind helping people out, but it would be nice to ask me to help instead of telling me to.

Either way, that Samsung is a very nice set. PinkFloyd just picked it up and loves the unit. I've always been an advocate of it, also.

I don't mind helping people out, but it would be nice to ask me to help instead of telling me to.

Either way, that Samsung is a very nice set. PinkFloyd just picked it up and loves the unit. I've always been an advocate of it, also.

Lol

ok, I think we are both old enough to appreciate any help of any side

anyways

please, can you help me out

and something else, this I believe does not support 1080i

what is so special about it?