• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best 40-42" LCD/DLP/Plasma right now?

bangbang023    31

It supports 1080i, just displays it in 720p resolution. A very large percentage of flat panela on the market are going to display everything in 720p resolution.

Amel    0

It supports 1080i, just displays it in 720p resolution. A very large percentage of flat panela on the market are going to display everything in 720p resolution.

so, is that good or?

what LCD would you recommend, 40 inch, up to 2000 dollars?

thanks

CrimsonBlur    0

There are a few considerations to take into account when you're deciding what size TV to get an what type of display technology. First of all, what size of a room is this going in? Is it a house/large livingroom or an apartment or what? I have a larger studio apartment, and I got a 40" JVC 720p LCD HDTV, and that's about as big as I can go. 42" is getting a little big, you're sitting too close for a screen that size.

Are you going to be playing a lot of games on the TV or hooking your computer up to it at all? If so, the person above saying to get a Plasma screen for that is wrong. Plasmas still do have burn-in issues, no matter what anyone tells you, especially when you're looking at sets in the price range you are. Plasmas have a hard time displaying static images even without taking the burn-in issues into account, so games with a lot of menus (RPG's and sports games come to mind) will look better on an LCD, as will output from your PC. You can't get a quality 42" Plasma for less than $2000. Panasonic is by far the best display in the $2000 price range. They make the best Plasmas other than Pioneer, and they're much more expensive.

Plasma has superior black levels and are a bit brighter (don't need to be backlit). Any other differences are not obvious under normal viewing condions. Any LCD with a response of 15ms or better, you will not notice ghosting 95% of the time.

Another thing to note is that LCD's are the only displays that will get full HDTV resolution under 50". No Plasma under 50" will do full 720p, not to mention 1080p. Current 42" Plasmas get 1024x768 resolution. Full 720p is 1280x768, so you are losing some detail getting any Plasma under 50". It isn't a significant difference, but it is there. My 40" LCD gets 1366x768.

The LCD I have is the best bang for your buck. It's well-made and looks good. It's very bright, it's the brightest LCD I have seen, and I shopped around a LOT before I got it. That is good not only because it's nice to have a brighter screen for when you have the lights on, but because after a while the screen will dim, like any other technology. So getting a screen that is brighter from the beginning is an advantage, even though it means your blacks won't be quite as dark. It's the JVC 40X787. That's the silver one, it also comes in black, the 40X887. I have watched a bunch of movies and played 360 a lot recently, and it looks great. Watching movies or playing games with a lot of dark areas, I can say that the black levels are definitely acceptable.

bangbang023    31

I'm going to have to go against CrimsonBlur and advice against the JVC. It's just not a set that appeals to be, at all. Right now, for a 720p set I would recommend the Samsung LN-Sxx51D. For a 1080p set, I've fallen for the Sony KDL-xxV2500. While not being the least expensive sets on the market, the picture quality is beautiful. If you don't like the DNIe effects on the Samsung, then look at the Sony s2000/2010 series.

Pink Floyd    15

Is the DNIe enabled by default Bangbang?

I don't think we did test the panel with that feature from Sansung

bangbang023    31

DNIe is always on.

Joey992    0

I ran the idea of getting one of the Sony 3LCD projection models by the old lady and she prefers a flat panel. So I will probably be looking into that Samsung 40". This is such a tough decision. The last time I bought a TV there were no HDTV options, just CRT or projection. It was so much easier.

gunnerhkjp    0

I'm going to have to go against CrimsonBlur and advice against the JVC. It's just not a set that appeals to be, at all. Right now, for a 720p set I would recommend the Samsung LN-Sxx51D. For a 1080p set, I've fallen for the Sony KDL-xxV2500. While not being the least expensive sets on the market, the picture quality is beautiful. If you don't like the DNIe effects on the Samsung, then look at the Sony s2000/2010 series.

Bit off topic, but have you seen the JVC LT-37X987 with the 120hz Clear Motion Drive?

120hz Clear Motion Drive model is really popular in Japan especially amoungst the gamers.