Is 1080p even noticeable on smaller sets?

I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV, and I've come across a problem. Sony's X series TV is coming out here (New Zealand) in November/December, and will have 1080p and all that. I can buy their new 40" S series for 3,500 NZ (2309 USD/2596 CAD/1219 GBP), but that only has 720p native res.

So, I'm wondering, if I were to wait, would I even be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen that is only 40"?

Thanks

So, I'm wondering, if I were to wait, would I even be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen that is only 40"?

I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p for sure on a 40 inch screen. Personally, I think 720p starts to look bad on anything bigger than 32 inches. I would definitely wait and compare them side by side if I were you, especially since 1080 is going to become mainstream in a couple years with HD DVD's and PS3 / XBox 360.

I doubt you'd really even be able to tell a difference side by side. As resolutions get higher, it gets harder and harder to tell a difference between them. Compared to 480i, 720p is incredible. But 1080i/p compared to 720p, there's no huge difference.

Personally, I think 720p starts to look bad on anything bigger than 32 inches.

Dude, you are full of crap.

Dude, you are full of crap.

Trust me, after staring at 19 inch 1280x1024 (basically 720p) computer LCD for several hours a day, I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 40-inch screen.

It depends on what your going to use it for really, if it's purely for Video (TV/DVD), then no you won't tell the diffrence, but if your going to be playing a 1080p Xbox 360 game on it then yes you will see a massive diffrence.

Seriously, they build computer LCD that are 24" and give you 1920x1200 resolution. Don't tell me they do that for nothing, because 1280x720 is just about the same as 1920x1080??

BluRay and HD-DVD are 1080p, so right off the bat you're going to miss some stuff if your TV is only 720p. Down sampling, degrading resolution to fit your screen.

So I would say, that at 40", you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p. It all depends on what you're watching, from what source. Just don't expect miracle from crap feeds.

You can tell the difference between 1280 and 1920 on a computer monitor because you sit a couple feet away from it. With TV you don't usually sit very close so it's a lot harder to tell the difference in pixel count. On a 40" set the picture might be slightly clearer, but nothing worth the extra you'd probably end up spending to get it.

Oh and down-sampling isn't going to make the new HD movies look bad.

Over 30", the difference is quite noticeable. 480p and 720p both suck for anything larger than 30", I don't even know why 50" TVs were invented with a 720p resolution at an unbelievable price. It's a theft. If you're going to buy a small TV, then yeah, go for 720p and for a 15" TV, then yeah, go for 480p.

I wanted to buy a 1080p TV this year, but there aren't many choices and they are way too expensive. Actually, I think the 1080p era is more like next year than this year. Okay, now the next thing I am gonna say isn't really related to Apple, but some may think yes... It's just that I don't know any other company who's done that yet, so I am using Apple. Anyway. I'd prefer buying a 30" Cinema display from Apple for 2200 bucks and that is more than 1080p than buying a 37" for twice the price and that is 1080p. PC monitors are much better than TV monitors too, so there's something just wrong with TVs.

Over 30", the difference is quite noticeable. 480p and 720p both suck for anything larger than 30", I don't even know why 50" TVs were invented with a 720p resolution at an unbelievable price. It's a theft. If you're going to buy a small TV, then yeah, go for 720p and for a 15" TV, then yeah, go for 480p.

I wanted to buy a 1080p TV this year, but there aren't many choices and they are way too expensive. Actually, I think the 1080p era is more like next year than this year. Okay, now the next thing I am gonna say isn't really related to Apple, but some may think yes... It's just that I don't know any other company who's done that yet, so I am using Apple. Anyway. I'd prefer buying a 30" Cinema display from Apple for 2200 bucks and that is more than 1080p than buying a 37" for twice the price and that is 1080p. PC monitors are much better than TV monitors too, so there's something just wrong with TVs.

Most people aren't going to notice any difference between 1080p and 720p on 40" or lower. Anyone claiming too must be sitting on top of the screen because it's just not going to happen. I have the luxury of looking at signals side yb side all the time and there simply isn't any gain.

As for PC monitors, you people have to realize that it's a different goal. Higher resolutions give you more desktop space.

• 2 weeks later...

How big of a difference is there between 1080i and 1080p on a 40"-46" screen, when your considering using the TV for the PS3? :)

You won't find many screens in that size with 1080i as their native res. The few I have seen are generally low quality, so you'll be looking at 720p or 1080p.

It is hard to justify the jump in price from 720p to 1080p for sure. I am having a hard time deciding myself, but 720p is already stupid expensive once you start looking at 40"+ sets.

I hope the price goes down soon. It seems like right now televisions are the most expensive. I don't remember TV's ever costing so much. But I guess the technology has made them more expensive.

It is hard to justify the jump in price from 720p to 1080p for sure. I am having a hard time deciding myself, but 720p is already stupid expensive once you start looking at 40"+ sets.

I hope the price goes down soon. It seems like right now televisions are the most expensive. I don't remember TV's ever costing so much. But I guess the technology has made them more expensive.

Market analysts predict a 30% drop in LCD prices next year due to the over manufacturing of panels.

You won't find many screens in that size with 1080i as their native res. The few I have seen are generally low quality, so you'll be looking at 720p or 1080p.

I'm having a hard time find any 40-46" LCD TV's with 1080p under $2500. :wacko:

Market analysts predict a 30% drop in LCD prices next year due to the over manufacturing of panels.

cool

I might then just wait tll next year with my lcd

:whistle:

I'm having a hard time find any 40-46" LCD TV's with 1080p under $2500. :wacko:

you won't find anything under $2500

I've been looking for almost a week, and I really don't know what I'm going to pick

the prices are unbelievable

Obviously you havnt seen ABC's college football on saturday nights.