How do you stop those annoying popup baloons?

Every time my wireless network connects or does something an annoying popup baloon pops up from the system tray, and says in a round about way "Hi Im connected."

Is there a way to disable this? It happens ALOT and is SOOOOOO annoying.

Ill see if I can get a pic if that is needed next time it re-connects or does something.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...o/wxp60403.mspx

Host: Shawn (Microsoft)

Q: How can I skip all the balloons. both the balloons that you get the first time you connect to a machine and also the one that come regularly?

A: You can use the registry to disable all the balloons (as you may have learned, TweakUI does not disable everything.) Here are the keys you will need to modify (set all to zero). HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableBalloonTips HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ShowInfoTip

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\FolderContentsInfoTip

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartButtonBalloonTip

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\tips\Show

Is there a way to disable just that one? The other ones I dont mind as they never pop up and are usually useful.
Try going to Network Connections and right clicking on your internet connection and clicking properties. You might be able to disable it at the bottom of the general tab.

download a browser like mozilla's firefox ( blocks pop-up ) , you can customize & allow your preffered sites to show pop-ups

did you read the thread at all? this is about balloon pop-ups from the systray - not pop-ups whilst browsing the net :p

^ Go easy on the guy, Ive done the same thing and Im sure others have as well. Its a pretty common thing to do to just reply before reading the thread. Besides, what was gained by you hammering the guy?

Try going to Network Connections and right clicking on your internet connection and clicking properties. You might be able to disable it at the bottom of the general tab.

Ill try unclicking the bottom one. That might work. Thanks.

^ Go easy on the guy, Ive done the same thing and Im sure others have as well. Its a pretty common thing to do to just reply before reading the thread. Besides, what was gained by you hammering the guy?

Ill try unclicking the bottom one. That might work. Thanks.

Actually, that could work, but you'd have to untick both boxes:

*Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

*Show icon in notification area when connected

I think that it would still pop up when a new connection is made if the bottom one remains ticked, but you'd have to test that yourself.

Actually, that could work, but you'd have to untick both boxes:

*Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

*Show icon in notification area when connected

I think that it would still pop up when a new connection is made if the bottom one remains ticked, but you'd have to test that yourself.

But the problem is that you've disabled the wireless icon, which provides some useful functionality. I can't believe MS makes it so difficult to get rid of that annoying balloon.

LOL, XP notifies me every time my wireless signal is altered, my desktop icons need to be organized, and the AV that I deliberately disabled is not active. But when my power is low and my computer is about to shutdown, I get no notification balloons whatsever. My computer just hibernates without warning. So annoying.

And I love how the Windows design guidelines explicity state not to use excessive notifications.

This happens when I'm running my ad-hoc wireless network a lot. It's just something I've come to live with. Even if every 5 minutes you're graciously informed that '*******s Wireless is now connected'.

However, I believe in the properties you can set the option to turn these off:

networksly1.png