Suggest me some good Server Names

Names I use are generally based on location and role e.g. TokyoExchange, NYSMS, LondonDC

But I guess that can be a security issue as anyone who finds the names quickly knows who's doing what, and of course putting the OS in there would make matters worse.

So... Neo, Morpheus and Trinity. :)

P.S.

You should also cater for redundant roles upfront as well i.e. Neo01, Trinity01

I name my computers after alcoholic drinks:

This PC is called Calsberg

The laptop is called Smirnoff

The server is Margarita

The Mac is J20 (Young and Hip)

And the iPod (yes it's sort of a computer) is called Guinness

We avoided copyrighted names for legal reasons, highly suggest you do the same. We were originally going to use Disney names, but to be safe, we went with something more mundane and not likely to stir up a lawsuit: rocks. Hematite, Agate, Feldspar, Pyrite, Mica, Shale, Monolith, etc. Kind of cheesy, but it keeps us clean. :D

LOL, you avoided "copyrighted" (I think you meant to say "trademarked") names for your servers for legal reasons? Please, if your company has a lawyer, FIRE HIM/HER IMMEDIATELY! Because that person clearly has no understanding of trademark law.

Classic case of misinformed fear-mongering.

I'm a fan of descriptive names like "File server" "Development server" "Web server" or "server1" "server2" "server3" etc.

Names are bit of fun but they become confusing to manage

I am with you on that.

File server = FSW2K301, 02 etc

Development server = DSW2K301, 02 etc

Web server = WSW2K301, 02 etc

That way you can see what it does FS = File Server W2K3 (Windows Server 2003) and the number of the server (adding more is easier to name)

Subtract W2K3 for the correct OS (W2K or NT4)

My W2K3 server is called ENTERPRISE and my client VOYAGER :p yeah lame maybe but I only have 1 server here in the office.

Neowin servers are called server1, 2, 3, 4

We did this at work, and now our 2003 file servers are named Server-w2k and kind of hard to change everything after you have login scripts and printers on pcs. Yes yes, we don't have scripts pushing out printers yet....which would take care of the issue if you did rename. But who wants to create more work?

So what happens with Server 2007 comes out? DSW2k301 but with 2007 installed? hehe

When I used to work as an IT tech at a school we used to just type what came to our heads

"THISCOMPUTERISREALLYSLOW"

"BUDGETCUTS"

"ISEENOTHING"

"TYPEONTHEKEYBOARD"

I've given all my stuff Star Wars names:

Skywalker, Yoda & C3PO = Computers.

Solo & Chewbacca = Routers

Kenobi & R2D2 = USB flash drives

Jabba = Laser Printer (Which is now dead :D)

Main Servers : Trinity (primary) Neo (Secondary), Apoc (Data), Switch

Test Server : Smith

A Matrix theme ive used ever since the film came out.

I know a few sites that used Disney for server names (Mickey, Donald etc..)

At the school where i do some contract web development and systems admin stuff they are named after fish.

We have:

Bass

Trout

Marlin

Flipper

Salmon

But we also have some other servers randomly named:

BigBoy

Chux

Monty

Python

Radiant

Dynamo

Fridge

Freezer

Hurricane

My network at home is named on where the computers are located or thier main function:

MusicRoom

FamilyRoom

Laptop

KreativeServ

Kussie- my computer

our server is called "yotta" and i dont know why. I loose many hours of sleep trying to figure that out. I also cry at times regarding the mystery of the name.

LoL Thanks guys

We ended up calling the Development box - Taz (Tazmanian Devil) and it sounds like "Test" too, which is what we are going to use it for while developing!

The other one is called "TiTaN" - strong, powerful, yep just like the server

Was going to call it "Freeze" but it may imply the server being freezes/crashes all the time lol so we changed the name

• 9 years later...
  • Jason S. locked this topic