OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

It's a warning level? I just thought it was a guide to tell you how soon you needed to create yet another new account under a proxy IP address. They're a bit pointless aren't they? Aside from giving the staff something to throw around when the tantrums take them that way.

Too true.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I'm at a 100% warn level here....

Believe me, I never meant for things to end up like this, but they did...Can you bump it down to 80% please mods?

I'm not here to flame you or anything, but wouldn't 100% warn mean your baned? or is it one more after 100% warn?

All of my warnings are fair and just. And all of them is because I went a bit over the top on the language towards someone. The only reason I wanted me reduced at the time (with the automatic system) is because I wanted to change my name. Thats it. There is no other reason I want to reduce it. No one else can see it, and Im not bothered about it.

I got my one and only warning somewhere in January 2006 if my memory serves me correctly. That's almost a year ago. :/

Edited by Neowave

I just wish my warning would go away. It's been like a year since I got both and I really want to change my poster name. =/

I remember asking an admin to change it for me and never got a reply. Any friendly admin out there with nothing to do want to help me out? =D

I also didnt renew my subscription because they wouldnt let me change my nick.

I had a 40% warning level when I decided to subscribe to Neowin. I got it up to 100% and my subscription was lost (eg. I didnt have a orange + anymore and I cant do certain subscriber features). But thats what I least care about...

Neobond (the main admin I believe) thinks in a type ideology that if someone on the street calls you "stupid" you should just be "the bigger man" and ignore it and walk away. But most people are not likely to back down and bark right back. Thats something that admins/mods/etc have to understand for some of the cases Ive seen here on Neowin.

There is alot of abuse of the warning system by mods. Ive seen when mods arent right over a certain topic they just warn the user to get rid of them or put a temp ban to shut them up.

One of the worse cases of the mod abusing: Double standards. We have had quite a few times that a user posts a story in back-page news and it gets deleted, the user warned/banned but in a couple of days/hours that story hits front page (or a section of news) and its alright. Since a mod posted it its 100% ok.

Another thing; The Neowin Theme patch. I believe by MS EULA you cannot modify any file on the OS or reverse engineer the OS to do something it was not originally suppose to do (unsupported unoffical themes). More double standards.

Ive also seen mods insult normal members (not as bad as other members to other members). More doble standards.

I think a refresh/renew/revision/test of all the mods on Neowin should be done because there are alot of people who I simply believe do not deserve to be on the staff. The staff's "quality" has gone way down since Ive joined to now.

Neobond (the main admin I believe) thinks in a type ideology that if someone on the street calls you "stupid" you should just be "the bigger man" and ignore it and walk away. But most people are not likely to back down and bark right back. Thats something that admins/mods/etc have to understand for some of the cases Ive seen here on Neowin.

The thing I always go about is respect. Members should always respect other members even if they disagree with their opinions. Yes, we do not think that members should take it upon themselves to punish others for their digressions. Two wrongs do not make a right. We don't want to encourage a survival of the fittest type of environment where members are fearful to contribute.

I think a refresh/renew/revision/test of all the mods on Neowin should be done because there are alot of people who I simply believe do not deserve to be on the staff. The staff's "quality" has gone way down since Ive joined to now.

Members are likely to feel that was as their warning levels increase. That being said, some members hover at 0% for their entire stay here. The key is to complain up the food chain if you think you have been given a raw deal. If you are unhappy with a fmod/gmod then talk to a Supervisor. If you are unhappy with a Supervisor then talk to a Administrator. If you are unhappy with a newsposter then speak to the News Editor (Shane Pitman). We have a chain of command. The key is to use it.

If you re-read my first post in this thread there will be lots of information on that very subject.

Well said rIaHc3. I have been here for quite a while, and this is totally spot on. It wasn't always like this though. Moderation based on assumed implication is one thing I really find disturbing, and the assumption of guilt before innocence.

There is alot of abuse of the warning system by mods. Ive seen when mods arent right over a certain topic they just warn the user to get rid of them or put a temp ban to shut them up.

Unless the poster is violating rules when posting stuff... they would be fired for doing that... if you see it... then report it.

Double standards. We have had quite a few times that a user posts a story in back-page news and it gets deleted, the user warned/banned but in a couple of days/hours that story hits front page (or a section of news) and its alright. Since a mod posted it its 100% ok

Highly dobut that... if you have proof... feel free to prove me wrong. I dobut anybody has been banned just so a news poster can take credit for finding the story.

Two wrongs do not make a right. We don't want to encourage a survival of the fittest type of environment where members are fearful to contribute.

you sound like my mother :laugh:

I disagree, upon principal, if some idiot decides to call me an ######, i will let him know how i feel. However as i ve come to learn (i hope) we are all only guests here so as long as we want to remain this way we may follow the rules set by the forum...so if somone calls me an asshle in future i report the thread and vent my anger on my long suffering dog spot.

you sound like my mother :laugh:

I disagree, upon principal, if some idiot decides to call me an ######, i will let him know how i feel. However as i ve come to learn (i hope) we are all only guests here so as long as we want to remain this way we may follow the rules set by the forum...so if somone calls me an asshle in future i report the thread and vent my anger on my long suffering dog spot.

for me its the neown rule that i cant tell someone off even if he started it that keeps me from doing it. but i sympathise with wanting revenge justice. i guess i really dont know what id do tho as no one has yet insulted me here

i guess neowin as a forum is rather mainstream and has to keep a lid on things, maybe it didnt used to be like that but clearly it wants to be mainstream. as a mere mortal i have to go elsewhere to let off steam.

I've had my warning score for so so long.. I think over a year at least :|

I had my ability to change my info or use an avatar like 2 yrs ago for using a pic too big, and im still waiting for that to be lifted lol