Buying a TV for PS3

sn00pie

Okay guys, I'm in the market for a 40"-50" HDTV that will display my PS3(when I buy it) properly, more than likely I will be buying from Future Shop or Best Buy.

What I need it for ;

- PS3 obviously

- home theater ( will buy a home theatre system seperate for this TV)

- Price: $2000-$3000 CAD

other than that you guys know better.

I've been looking at the Samsung LCD HDTV's since alot of people say Samsung is good, but I need your help to find the right TV for me. I've read the PS3 uses 1080p but most of the TV's I see are 1080i?? Whats the difference?

I'd prefer using all graphics power of the PS3 because I won't buy another TV for a few years. :/

Thanks!

Edited by Game
sn00pie

Spartan - aren't those kinda old styled? I want a LCD HDTV that will sit on a stand but maybe wall-mounted in the future. :)

Been looking around and the cheapest 1080p sets are from Sony around $3500, which is really stretching the budget, afterall I'm spending $500+ on a theatre system ontop of the cost of the TV set.

Is there going to be a significent difference between a 1080i TV, and a 1080p TV when using the PS3?

How's this one - http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...amp;catid=24558 ?

Edited by Game
  • 2 weeks later...
sn00pie

Just an update; I've narrowed it down between LCD and Plasma sets, 1080i is fine, 40-46" screen.

- Whats the difference between HD Ready and HD Built-In?

- I don't have any HD channels, so will viewing normal TV look bad on the LCD TV compared to a normal Tube?

- I want the TV to be something that uses the potential of the PS3 graphics for clarity, graphics etc.

Here's what I'm currently considering heavily - http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...=&langid=EN

bangbang023

Most sets are not 1080i, but 720p. If you're going to consider the Samsung 4041, move up a notch and get the 4051 instead. The color temperature is more balanced as the 4041 tends to have overly warm tones to the white/lighter regions.

SD shows on an HD set? Yeah, it's going to be downgrade in image quality over an regular tube set.

sn00pie

So would it be better to go with Plasma, for SD shows?

bangbang023

Plasma is going to suffer similarly to LCD though the image is a touch better when shwoing SD content because of the naturally lower resolutions.

gunnerhkjp

When I hear people playing games on plasmas, I worry about burn-ins.

I don't know if it is still an issue with current plasmas though.

Galley

you may want to take a look at the HL-R5078W from Samsung. :happy: :yes:

My friend snagged one of those bad boys for $1999.99! That's one heckuva price for some 1080P lovin'! :woot:

bangbang023

When I hear people playing games on plasmas, I worry about burn-ins.

I don't know if it is still an issue with current plasmas though.

It can still happen, though, more and more, it's actually a case of image retention which is only temporary. Another thing to consider is the fact that most modern games seem to take this into account and use cut scenes as means od removing static UI elements from the screen every now and then.

My friend snagged one of those bad boys for $1999.99! That's one heckuva price for some 1080P lovin'! :woot:

DLP isn't always that great for gaming and I would avoid it for such a use. Too many people report delay issues.

sn00pie

bangbang, I checked out the 4051 and it's $2,499 on sale, which is over my budget. I need the TV under $2000 because I'll be buying a home theater with the television which will bring the total upto around $3000.

I've heard alot of good things about Plasma screens, so I'm confused, could you find me what you think would the be the best LCD or Plasma TV for my needs under $2000 on Best Buy's website?

Thanks alot!

bangbang023

The 4041 is going to be the TV you want if 2 grand is your limit.

sn00pie

Thanks alot, I'll be going there tommorow to check it out in person, hopefully everything works out! :)