Vista RC2 Problems --- Post Your's Here

Ctrl+Alt+Del isn't Task Manager... ctrl-alt-esc is.

I guess in XP if you used the "Welcome Screen" ctrl-alt-del also brought up task manager.

Ctrl-alt-esc? :huh:

I tried that, didnt work ....

I just downloaded and installed 5744 RC2 and for some reason I can't get aero. yes, I downloaded it from Microsoft. Out of all the builds I've used ( 5384 5536 5600 5728, ) I had aero. but I can't seem to get it now.

HP DV8000

AMD Turion 64

ATI M200

512 MB ram

2.0 Ghz

160 GB HD

Me too.

I have a HP Dv2008EA

AMD Turion64 X2

GeForce Go 6150 with proper 64bit ForceWare drivers.

The up button has a different function than the back button. The up button takes you to the parent folder, whereas the back button takes you to the folder you were exploring before. And that previous folder in many cases is not the parent folder.

The breadcrumb bar is fine AND useful, but I don't think having it justifies the dissaperance of the UP button. The UP button logics is simple: parent folder, wherever you are. And it's more useful in *some* cases... since the breadcrumbs don't have a "fixed" position, and they depend on the folder name lenght and stuff.

Great point about the UP button (and the breadcrumbs bar). I can appreciate the breadcrumbs bar but there's nothing like hitting ONE button in ONE location that doesn't change to quickly get to where you want to go!

Audio problem with RC2, but did not test that with previous build. With a RealTek AudioHD chipset, when I plug something in the Line-IN, I can't hear a thing, even if the sound level seem to show that their is some sound in the Line-In and it's working.

Can't seem to get any sound from my Line-IN. Even when I use Sound Recorder, I only hear when I playback the recorded sound!!!

I know this used to work under WinXP...

Great point about the UP button (and the breadcrumbs bar). I can appreciate the breadcrumbs bar but there's nothing like hitting ONE button in ONE location that doesn't change to quickly get to where you want to go!

+1; Up button FTW! Brandon: defend the breadcrumb all you want (since it IS very useful), but there was no good reason to remove the up button, which was great and easy for a lot of people in certain scenarios.

hwo about in the final stage fo the installation it just goes black on my screen and i got a multi coloured line going accross and after loads of hard drive activity it just restarts and goes back to the same problem, never had this in any build, how on earth is Vista meant to go RTM in this state

on there there is this:

It's seems that it is a known issue happening when you have only 512mo of RAM and will be fix in RTM. During this time here's a workaround :

1/ Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

2/ Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :

- Type 'net stop uxsms'

- Then 'net start uxsms'

i can't seem to find anything like that in the regestery. anyone be willing to help?

Only had a few problems with previous builds but this thing is just BUGGY to heck!!!

No Drivers at all it seems like now! No Aero, bad system performance and currently up to 33 problems that there are no solutions for..! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

If this is what to exspect then this thing needs to go back to the drawing board, and I say that as a complete Vista fanboy!

Only had a few problems with previous builds but this thing is just BUGGY to heck!!!

No Drivers at all it seems like now! No Aero, bad system performance and currently up to 33 problems that there are no solutions for..! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

If this is what to exspect then this thing needs to go back to the drawing board, and I say that as a complete Vista fanboy!

Im with you on that, I had a better time with RC1

The last build is working awesome for me, little undecided now if I want to jump up an try this one or just wait... But it looks like there are a few fixes, so why not.

Anybody running the 64bit version? How do you like?

I just got Vista RC2 installed and I have some problems with it:

1) BIGGEST ISSUE: I cannot get an internet connection in RC2. I am using the nForce4 chipset (only have the nVidia ethernet controller enabled since i had no need for the marvell) and ever since the post RC1 build (5728), I cannot get a connection. Before that I was fine...

(by the way, is there anyone who still has RC1 installed and can post the nVidia networking file for me?? it's called "nvm60x32.sys" and is in Windows/System32/Drivers)

2) Even though I set a default view for all Explorer Windows (details view), read-only media defaults to a large icon view no matter what I do. It is EXTREMELY frustrating.

3) Explorer windows don't remember their sizes/positions. I can't STAND the default windows size displayed because I have a resolution of 1920x1200. So I'd like Windows to remember their sizes after I mess with them. This is NOT happening.

4) More of an opinion than an actual problem but even so: I hate not having a cascaded all programs menu and no more UP button.

Same issue here, just use the other controller and you'll get a connection. Don't know why the NVidia one is broken in this release.

1. The drivers for my NVIDIA Go 6800 are CRAP. Games crashing, MC won't maximize without going black / blinking!

2. There are problems on a quite low-end computer which makes the audio playback get very gapfull, not gapless.

This build is good and it shows that we're in the right direction. It's still complicated to manage indexed locations, but it is functioning. I also don't like the inconsistencies with file sharing.

Ctrl+Alt+Del isn't Task Manager... ctrl-alt-esc is.

I guess in XP if you used the "Welcome Screen" ctrl-alt-del also brought up task manager.

in XP control+alt+del was always the task manager. In fact, CTRL+ALT+DEL was the thing you would always use to close applications in 95/98/ME/XP. In winnt, control+alt+del would take you to a window that tells what user is logged in, and with buttons like "lock computer", "task manager", log out, etc. That's what vista is using now. I think the last item on the control+alt+supr menu is the task manager.

Using control+alt+supr twice on xp's welcome screen takes you to the classic NT login dialogue

The last build is working awesome for me, little undecided now if I want to jump up an try this one or just wait... But it looks like there are a few fixes, so why not.

Anybody running the 64bit version? How do you like?

I am running the X64 version: I love it, much more than the x86 edition.