'VIRTUALLY ADDICTED' - Controversial Documentary

actually...its quite true. i have a cousin who just graduated from college within 2 weeks, and he suffers alot from this.

his hands "SHAKE" if he hasnt played videogames for more than 24 hours....sad....

Ugh, these things annoy me so much! The way they portray it as a drug addiction, rather than an obnoxious kid who doesn't get disciplined! :angry:

I hope that soon we, as a society, will stop thinking about addiction the way you do. I think the drug addiction comparison can be very useful for describing video game addiction. Both involve a stimulus that the brain interprets as pleasurable. When that stimulus is removed, the person begins to experience withdrawal symptoms. As with any addiction, addicted gamers have their lives negatively affected by their excessive gaming. It fits perfectly with the addiction model.

As for video games "causing" suicide or violent behavior, I think that can't be proven at this point, but it could be a factor.

Bottom line: we need to treat game addiction like any other addiction: there is a physiological imbalance that contributes to the addictive process. Good parenting might help, but it won't solve the problem.

Bottom line: we need to treat game addiction like any other addiction: there is a physiological imbalance that contributes to the addictive process. Good parenting might help, but it won't solve the problem.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that it is an addiction; I was more referring to the first kid who screamed when the controller was taken.

It was so reminiscent of a scene of Supernanny, and the kid must have slipped into this addiction at some point. Really, the mother can limit the amount of time played, and she can stop gametime altogether. If THIS is the effect it is having on the child, then why in god's name is she letting the little brat on there in the first place???

There was a "news" story on the addiction caused by EverCrack a few years back.

I'm still amazed that people spend real money for fake "in-game" money for games like EverQuest and WoW.