Stargate SG-1 movies coming to DVD

What's the future of Stargate SG-1? Fans have been wondering and rumors have been flying for weeks since the long-running SCI FI Channel series was cancelled in August. Now, at least the first part of that answer is here.

MGM has given a green light for the show's creators to produce two direct-to-DVD movies based on SG-1. Executive producer Brad Wright let TV Guide in on the news this week.

"It's the climax of the Ori story line," Wright said of the first film. The movie will tie up the loose ends from the show's tenth season, which is expected to conclude its U.S. television run in June. The film will be written and directed by current SG-1 executive producer and show-runner Robert C. Cooper.

The SG-1 cast is not signed for the movies yet, but are said to be "very eager" to continue.

Wright will pen the second film, which will involve time travel.

More

:woot:

Sigh, I guess this is better than no more SG-1 period. But I really had hoped somehow that Sci-Fi would see the error in their ways and pick up another season, or allow them to rename it Stargate Command with a new "direction" or whatever.

Now the thing is, the DVD's are obviously going to sell very well. What will MGM and Sci-Fi etc do then? Go back to TV for another run? Or will that be it for SG-1? Will Richard Dean Anderson be in direct-2-DVD movies? Who knows anymore.

Guys I like the show too but I think this is it, if they weren't even going to give the series the time needed to finish the Ori storyline I cant see them bringing back the series if dvds sell well, which we would expect they will anyway.

But hey, it had a good run, gave a new dimension to Richard Dean, and for the short run there is still Atlantis.

On the upside its good news were getting two movies at least to see em mop up the Ori.

movies eh?

so does this mean an increased budget for them?

i'm very keen to see the ori resolution; but not sure about the time travel one since that seems to be a typical cliched movie storyline.

i'd be very surprised of RDA doesnt sign on for them; he's already stated in the past that he loves the sg1 universe and acting as o'neill.

atlantis is great and now it doesnt have to share a budget with it's older brother this can only be good news for it.

That sucks, so basically we are going to get a half assed ending to S10 and have to wait years for SG-1 movies to see the full ending.

They can kiss my ass, the amount of money ive pumped into SG-1 including s1-9 full dvd sets i want a full proper ending.

That sucks, so basically we are going to get a half assed ending to S10 and have to wait years for SG-1 movies to see the full ending.

They can kiss my ass, the amount of money ive pumped into SG-1 including s1-9 full dvd sets i want a full proper ending.

You didn't read the article did ya? :p The DVD's will literally come out a couple months after S10 finishes in June (figure August, maybe Sept the latest?) so you won't have to wait years. It'll almost be exactly like it normally is, excep the new "season" will be on DVD so to speak.

Yeah but that "season" wont be aired for free on television, so basically they are purposely not finishing off s10 completely so you have to buy the DVDs to get the full ending, what a joke.

Blame Sci-fi, I read that another station wanted to pick up SG-1 but Sci-fi is blocking the deal, something about the contract they made with MGM wich prevent other stations picking it up.

offtopic: anyone miss Farscape?... I do. :pinch:

Yeah but that "season" wont be aired for free on television, so basically they are purposely not finishing off s10 completely so you have to buy the DVDs to get the full ending, what a joke.

why are you attacking 'they' ?

it's SciFi's fault..

what can they do? would you prefer them to not doing anymore sg1?