Shift Linux 0.3 Gnome is Ready

Hi One and All,

I just wanted to announce that Shift Linux 0.3 Gnome is ready for release and the link will be provided shortly. Kinetix63 and I have worked out the internet bug and the Live CD is ready for download. Remember that this will be the last beta before we get Shift 0.5 on the streets for public consumption.

*** Link Updated to the newest version***

Shift Linux Gnome 0.3.1 can be downloaded HERE.

We are very interested in the following aspects as you test it:

1) We are interested in detection of your computer hardware.

2) We are interested in any graphics bugs.

3) We want to make sure that you get the right resolution ( especially on wide screens).

We do not need to know about branding issues at this time. We will fix those for Shift 0.5. Most of the boot-up screen is the Morphix distro's screen.

Please post the bugs in the subforums provided above. Do not use our links, as we decided to track this differently.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. You can expect Shift 0.3 Flux very shortly! :yes:

Barney

forgive me for being ignorant and If I have missed a thread, but why do we need another version of linux? And why a neowin version. What separates this from others, who is it pointed towards? Ubuntu crowd? Fedora Crowd? Server Crowd?

forgive me for being ignorant and If I have missed a thread, but why do we need another version of linux? And why a neowin version. What separates this from others, who is it pointed towards? Ubuntu crowd? Fedora Crowd? Server Crowd?

This question has been asked several times........ and my answer is that this is not about "another distro" but about a community project that brings Neowin Linux enthusiasts together to create something useful for our community. It is all about the journey, not necessarily about the product (although our final version will be awesome).

The journey has reaped big benefits for me, as well as others in friendships and producing quality products for our own community.

Barney

yeah I read that on the website after I posted, should proberbly do it the other way round :). Well I am interested, not sure I could help out much as I am only just starting to toy with ubuntu and have no coding skills. What are the aims of it. Is it supposed to be easy to use or more server based? why will the final version be awesome? Also a final version? you mean 1.0 and that it will keep being developed?

In fairness, this is the kind of question we get asked a lot. Ultimately, the answer lies in your hands. This is a community project and the whole idea of it is to bring us together, make some new friends, learn more about the way linux works, and create a distro that Neowinians can pick up, burn off to disk, and enjoy discovering what Linux is about.

What seperates it from other distro's? Why don't you tell us? This is a project for everyone - we need ideas. We need people to work with us on creating something different. We're not working to strictly defined goals here... this is some fun for everybody. At least that's the way I see it.

On another note, I hope you guys all enjoy this. Barney and I have really busted a gut trying to get this version out of the door, and I hope you all have some fun using it. We really do need as many bug reports as you can possibly come up with in order to make this better for everyone.

Wow, this stuff is really coming together! And, I got to the internet flawlessly, just clicked on Firefox and boom! So far (in my little playing around) I haven't found any problems, but I'll put it on a CD and take it to my Windows machine downstairs where it can run nativly instead of on a Virtual Machine on my Mac. So, as far as this goes, it was pretty good. I even have a screenshot of me on the internet:

Check It Out!

So once I get it to a CD, I'll post more info on how it does on my Windows machine downstairs.

That is absolutely FANTASTIC! Thank you very much! I'm glad it all ran successfully for you.

Please do let us know how it runs natively for you!

Great work guys, it's looking good. A tad slow for me but that's because I ran it through qemu. The only thing is, I didn't see Synaptic in any of the menus. Is it not included?

Great work guys, it's looking good. A tad slow for me but that's because I ran it through qemu. The only thing is, I didn't see Synaptic in any of the menus. Is it not included?

OOps! :blush: Looking at the build file, it appears I might have accidentally forgotten to include that :whistle:

We'll get a revised build out later on today.

Well, I went and tested it on my computer downstairs (nativly) and it worked great (except for the internet but that's wireless so it can't be expected to work). I also ran it on my laptop (nativly), and oddly the internet did NOT work on that even being directly plugged in, although it could just be a random problem on my side, who knows. But in the Virtual Machine for Mac the internet worked great. Speed was best on my desktop PC in the basement (1 GB RAM, AMD Athlon 3200 Processor), and it still worked pretty darn well on my 2 year old Vaio. I do say, great job guys!

As soon as I get thre updated version (later today) I'll update the link so that folks can download Shift Linux 0.3 with Synaptic......... :laugh:

It is a very simple fix......

You might also wanna post the release news on the Shift Website. The first post there talks about proposed release date ;)

And we will..... we just released this a bit ago, so we are just catching up! :yes:

Barney

Slow again :p

Downloading now - any ideas when we will be seeing an installable version?

This version is installable, but not tested at this time. Shift Linux 0.5 will be the first true installable version that will have the option of installing Gnome or Flux, as well as other scripts.

Barney

This version is installable, but not tested at this time. Shift Linux 0.5 will be the first true installable version that will have the option of installing Gnome or Flux, as well as other scripts.

Barney

That was one thing I wanted to mention but forgot about, I did not find an installer on the other version, I'm going to get this newer one and see, but I didn't find an installer with the old 0.3 Will be getting the new one and trying though.

That was one thing I wanted to mention but forgot about, I did not find an installer on the other version, I'm going to get this newer one and see, but I didn't find an installer with the old 0.3 Will be getting the new one and trying though.

The installer is there, there's just no icon for it. If you're happy with a command prompt, go rooting around in /sbin - you should find it in there somewhere.