Do Games Influence People!

this post is inspired byt the recent news article on neowin

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/fun.games/11/...e.ap/index.html

the answer to the orignal question is YES ! Games influence people is that so hard to acknowledge i think gamers are too worried that their games will suffer !

Ok the guy in this story maybe using it as a lame excuse but there are people who will act out what they play. Remember playing cowboys and indians as a kid ? kids were and still are influenced by TV? Now they have an highly emersive/interactive games, its inevitable that kids will act it out.

What worries me now (being a father for a year now) is games like the forthcoming Postal 2. have you watched the trailer, is it going to far ? I think so! Although i'd like to play it and would know where to draw the line ( i hope! the neighbour has a cat which has been bothering me lately though !)

Are there any kids in your area who might play it and take it a bit too seriously ? thats when it becomes a problem for you the reader of this. ( yeah right it will never happen to me or round here !) that what yer thinking ?

Unfortunately this is down to the individual how they are taken in by the game, as games become more realistic and kids nowadays are brought up playing games it will infuence them more and more.

Putting an R or 18 certificate on a box will do nothing but make the game more attractive. The only answer would be to censor games fullstop! you and I know that isn't goin to happen.!

my 2 cent/pence worth please comment, am i the only one that feels this way ?

3 words for you ' It carries on'

PS is vice city anygood ?

thread moved to Real World Issues

I'm glad you find this to be a worthy topic of discussion. I do too. Hence the article on front page. While you can argue that games do indeed influence children, i think television would be the more notable offender here. Just think how easy it is to switch on the television and see anything from a purse snatching, or a house breakin to grand theft auto or even a murder. To me, games are harmless, but that is my opinion. I think parents often use the excuse of games being responsible as a cop out, for lack of parenting skills. If children were brought up from a young age, and taught proper values and morals than there would be far less chance of these kinds of events occuring.

true keldyn,

but unless your with your children 24/7 it's almost impossible now to control what they see or do nowadays. It's so easy for them to access anything without your knowledge ( the Anarchist's Handbook being one example, maybe a poor one ).

It can be argued that children that have family values/morals drummed into them will enevitably rebell against them.

No doubt TV is the primary influence, as it has always been dominating the family front room for the past 30 years of my life. now the games console is almost as popular and will only become more common place in the home.

( thnks for your reply )