Canon EOS 400D or Nikon D80?

Hi,

I have a Canon PowerShot A80 and are thinking of getting a Digital SLR.

Which of the two cameras are best for some 'Point & Shoot' and which have the better cost effective features?

Well worth upgrading from a PowerShot A80?

Thanks

Being a Canon user, I tried out the XTi and found the interface easy to get used to after years of A95 and A70. It uses Compactflash cards, so you won't have to buy new memory cards.

The D80 has a lot going for it as well, but keep in mind that it uses different media.

Both companies have a wide range of lenses, so consider the cost-effectiveness and availability of other lenses (Nikon usually cheaper, Canon usually more available).

Overall, if you're looking for more of an SLR "upgrade" from a P&S, then go with the XTi. If you have the time to get used to a new system, get the D80. Either way, you won't feel bad about it. They're basically equal, just interface/etc. preferences get in the way. Try them out at a local store.

The only sentence I say for everyone: "Try them in your hands" They are same technology and awesome cameras

As for myself, I have the D80 and D50 as backup and damn I love it :punk:

He used a P&S so it doesn't matter now.

Remember, Canon is careful to keep most interface elements (at least the various buttons' names) consistent across their entire line of products. There's something about a product that just feels right if you're used to doing something a certain way.

Remember, Canon is careful to keep most interface elements (at least the various buttons' names) consistent across their entire line of products. There's something about a product that just feels right if you're used to doing something a certain way.

It's a personal preference. I still think it doesnt matter, you get used to it easily

Well, I originally had the 400D pinned down as they one I'd upgrade to from the 350D, but after readig a new review of it over at dpreview.com, I think I'd go for the D80 instead.

Well, I originally had the 400D pinned down as they one I'd upgrade to from the 350D, but after readig a new review of it over at dpreview.com, I think I'd go for the D80 instead.
Good boy good boy :)

I have a Canon A620 P&S then I bought a Canon 400D. ISO 1600 is very noise free, it rocks!

Canon DSLRs are the best when it comes to noise at high ISOs due to its CMOS sensor, although Nikon is just as good.

I'd go with the Nikon. Both are great cameras and both will fulfill your artistic needs, but I find the Canons to feel cheap.

There seems to be more Canon lenses on the 2nd hand market tho.

Thank you PF..."Come over to the dark side!"...well, your signature is dark?
too dark? I took the picture from nikon website.

Unless my monitor is screwed, it looks ok to me

too dark? I took the picture from nikon website.

Unless my monitor is screwed, it looks ok to me

My LCD monitor has been calibrated using Spyder and all I see in your sig is the top part of the camera, I can't see the lens.

My LCD monitor has been calibrated using Spyder and all I see in your sig is the top part of the camera, I can't see the lens.

You're not supposed to see the lense, it's supposed to look mysterious.

I had a D100 at the moment which is clearly beside the point. BUT... I have two cheap lenses for it, the 50mm 1.8 and the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 and compared to my friend who has similar lenses for his 350D, they are built a LOT better and the pictures are considerably crisper.

I say if you're going to end up buying new lenses at any point, get the nikon because their cheaper lenses beat canon's easily.

edit: LOL at the signature thing, I have my screen calibrated with a huey and thought the same thing :D

I'm a Canon user in the market for an upgrade too and after a lot of research I've decided on a Nikon.

I HAVE felt the various cameras in my hand and Nikons always seem to feel more solid (if a little heavier also) - even the shutter sounds nicer on Nikons.

That said, in this particular case I might consider the Canon. CF is the only way to go and Canon do make more affordable lenses.

If you were thinking about a Nikon D200 then I would encourage you all the way - it's the best value camera ever.

If you plan to upgrade to prosumer SLRs down the road then may I advise you stay away from EF-S / DX lenses because otherwise when you upgrade your body they'll be useless.

It's generally recommended that you choose a manufacturer and stick with it - I'd agree in which case I'd put my loyalty with Nikon.

I agree, it's better to stick with EF lenses as they will work on both a full frame and aps-c sized sensor camera.

I'm a Canon user in the market for an upgrade too and after a lot of research I've decided on a Nikon.

I HAVE felt the various cameras in my hand and Nikons always seem to feel more solid (if a little heavier also) - even the shutter sounds nicer on Nikons.

That said, in this particular case I might consider the Canon. CF is the only way to go and Canon do make more affordable lenses.

If you were thinking about a Nikon D200 then I would encourage you all the way - it's the best value camera ever.

If you plan to upgrade to prosumer SLRs down the road then may I advise you stay away from EF-S / DX lenses because otherwise when you upgrade your body they'll be useless.

It's generally recommended that you choose a manufacturer and stick with it - I'd agree in which case I'd put my loyalty with Nikon.