Russians, Americans discover new element

You can chalk off 'Discover the next element on the Periodic Table' off of your to-do list. A team of Russian and American scientists have discovered a new element, number 118, in experiments conducted in the first half of 2005. The announcement, however, is just being made now.

The element was created by shooting calcium ions at californium atoms (number 116 on the chart) in a particle accelerator. Element 118 will decay into element 116. More scientists will study the data. In the past, claims that new elements were discovered were scaled back.

This is the fifth element discovered by cooperation between Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, in collaboration with researchers from Dubna, the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (JINR) in Russia. They also discovered elements 113, 114, 115 and 116.

There is no fancy latinized name for the new element.

Source

this sounds like peanut butter ions crashing into chocolate ions and creating 'Reece's'

pretty soon, one of these idiot bored scientist are gonna accelerate an ion into something they shouldn't and be left with a pair of smoking shoes.

I thought an Element was something that was found naturally on earth.

Bombarding another element with Tachyon waves doesn't seem to 'natural' to me.

Now if they can turn Lead into Gold that would be something.

I thought an Element was something that was found naturally on earth.

Bombarding another element with Tachyon waves doesn't seem to 'natural' to me.

Now if they can turn Lead into Gold that would be something.

all an element is is the inique ness of that atom by changing the ammount of protons...i think

isotope = change in neutron #?

ion = change in electron #?

ste

one of these days one of the Laboratories are just going to go BOOOM and kill 1,000 and 1,000's of lives..

I said it before, I'll say it everytime I hear stuff like this:

Do these guys ever actually WATCH Science Fiction movies?!!?

That being said, it's a nice discovery.

They're making one measly atom, not a huge cluster. There's no way in hell that it can give off anything more dangerous than a few gamma rays. What's the life of this new element? If it's like a thousandth of a second, then it shouldn't be considered an element.

They thaught it existed but couldnt prove it

That's the thing, it doesn't actually exist naturally. It only exists for "a thousandth of a second" like gdodson said earlier when "shooting calcium ions at californium atoms (number 116 on the chart) in a particle accelerator."

To me, that isn't a new element, that's just trying to create a name for yourself.

Another useless element.

What i think a lot of physicists are looking forwards to is the LHC coming online at cern. As well as possibly proving the standard model beyond any previous doubt (or shattering it entirely, all rests on the higgs boson) it will create many, many many new exotic particles, on a scale far smaller than atoms' nuclei.

accordin' to WikiPedia (who can claim it's 100% true?) there are over 200 Elements and 118 is Ununoctium and 119 is Ununennium ... 116 is Ununhexium .

So I call BULLOCKS on the w hole article, since it get get the damn element names right!

accordin' to WikiPedia (who can claim it's 100% true?) there are over 200 Elements and 118 is Ununoctium and 119 is Ununennium ... 116 is Ununhexium .

So I call BULLOCKS on the w hole article, since it get get the damn element names right!

some science boffins already hve the elements names done, they are done on a wierd system now, no longer named after prople (plutonium, einsteinium) so :. (therefore) wikipedia in this cse is correct

ste

Actually i think those are temporary names that are basically latinised latin numbers (surely this is hypercorrection?). Whoever discovers the element can still give it their own name shoudl they wish.

Uuh/Ununhexium is an IUPAC temporary name. Lately, elements have been named after the place of discovery.

It's also possibly that stable high-numbered elements may yet be found. For example, it is theorized that element 126 may be stable, since 126 is one of the atomic magic numbers.