Acronis True Image 10 Released

New features introduced in version 10.0

* Supports Microsoft Vista ? Ensure that you can protect you system if you upgrade to the latest version of Windows

* Backup your music, video, and photos ? Preserve your digital memories

* Outlook backup ? Preserve your emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, signatures, news folders, e-mail rules and user settings with just a few mouse clicks

* Application protection ? Protect your application settings and avoid the time consuming process of redoing your custom settings

* Quick backup of specific files ? Initiate backup of specific files without being in the Acronis True Image application

* Restore application settings ? Avoid the hassle of customizing your applications again in case of failure

* Explore backups ? Easily search and recover particular files in archives just like in Windows Explorer

* Create backup rules ? Ensure that you never run out of space by setting limits on the amount of space allocated for backups, the number of backups and the amount of time you keep backups

* Email notifications ? Peace of mind by obtaining notification that your backups have completed

* Save to FTP ? Flexibility to store your backups where you want to

http://www.acronis.com

I never use this but I am downloading the trial. I have a question I am sure someone from Neowin can answer. Say if I backup my complete XP install onto DVD's. Format and install Vista, then whenever I need to do I guess format and go back to xp install it and then load the images back so it will be like i never installed Vista (everything would be as it was before I installed vista). Is that possible? or how does that work?

Thanks for the news. I'll be deciding between ATI10 and the Vista backup program. I forget, does this work on Vista x64?

I never use this but I am downloading the trial. I have a question I am sure someone from Neowin can answer. Say if I backup my complete XP install onto DVD's. Format and install Vista, then whenever I need to do I guess format and go back to xp install it and then load the images back so it will be like i never installed Vista (everything would be as it was before I installed vista). Is that possible? or how does that work?

If you backup your XP Install partition (where \windows is) then there is no reason to format/reinstall xp, just load the image off dvd/other partition to wherever you want (ex. where Vista is).

Thanks for the news. I'll be deciding between ATI10 and the Vista backup program. I forget, does this work on Vista x64?

If you backup your XP Install partition (where \windows is) then there is no reason to format/reinstall xp, just load the image off dvd/other partition to wherever you want (ex. where Vista is).

Hmm, so it is that simple? lets say i installed vista. Want to go back to Xp by loading the images? just laod the images by using the program and it takes over from there? or do I have to drag and drop a copy of me C: drive?

Edit: I installed this, aand I take it by what you mean, I back up the entire C: drive, then whenver i need to just click restore and it will restore the entire thing by itself. That correct?

Edited by Dane

Hmm, so it is that simple? lets say i installed vista. Want to go back to Xp by loading the images? just laod the images by using the program and it takes over from there? or do I have to drag and drop a copy of me C: drive?

Edit: I installed this, aand I take it by what you mean, I back up the entire C: drive, then whenver i need to just click restore and it will restore the entire thing by itself. That correct?

DON'T FORGET TO VERIFY THE IMAGE BEFORE RESTORING IT.

I THINK IT SHOULD BE THE DEFAULT ACTION BUT YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO CHECK IT. DON'T FORGET IT!!!!.

I THINK IT SHOULD BE THE DEFAULT ACTION BUT YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO CHECK IT. DON'T FORGET IT!!!!.

What do you mean by that? How is that done?

I've never had to verify an image before restoring it but as always, YMMV.

I just upgraded to the version 10 and was really liking their FTP capabilities. I use Bulletproof FTP because I can make it portable and run it on any drive, including a USB drive.

And heck, anyone can use a few free FTP servers to make an FTP server for Acronis to connect to.

My backup of a 1.5 GB Windows XP installation (just the install and drivers) was compressed to 785 MB by default, and was uploading to my FTP server on my laptop at over 10,000 KB/s. Took about 1 minute and 15 seconds.

I thought it was a nice addition to the software and just got done backing up my main laptop about 5 minutes ago with the new version. Took about an hour and 15 minutes while Windows was running. I had 85 GB to back up and it did it with no problems whatsoever.

People get nervous about backing up while Windows is running but I've never had an issue and have restored my system various times with live backups. I'd definitely recommend the app because of my direct experience with it.

What do you mean by that? How is that done?

It's in the application's interface. When you are done backing up and creating the TIB file, you simply verify the image. It asks where the image is, you navigate to it, and it tells you if it's good or bad.

It's in the application's interface. When you are done backing up and creating the TIB file, you simply verify the image. It asks where the image is, you navigate to it, and it tells you if it's good or bad.

Oh hmm, I must have missed that. Is there a way to go back and do it? I am still trying to figure out how to burn a 25gig backup :blink: . You said you did the install and drivers that sounds like a good idea...I take it from a fresh install? It seems easy to backup everything so you can restore it so you dont need to install anything but blah haha, its like holy **** didnt htink it backed up that much.

I've tried that before on version 9.1 when I would back it up and it said the image is ok but when I try to restore the image from the bootable cd it always tells me the image is currupt.

Oh hmm, I must have missed that. Is there a way to go back and do it? I am still trying to figure out how to burn a 25gig backup :blink: . You said you did the install and drivers that sounds like a good idea...I take it from a fresh install? It seems easy to backup everything so you can restore it so you dont need to install anything but blah haha, its like holy **** didnt htink it backed up that much.

I mean I just backed up the plain install after I nLite'd it and then added the drivers afterwards to make a base image. Nice and easy backup.

I don't backup to DVD's for a number of reasons, but there's people out there who do. A couple handy links:

Acronis Forums

Acronis Documentation

You can check those out before you purchase so you can get more information on your possible investment.

I've never had a corrupt image so I can't offer any advice there. I do make BartPE CD's all the time and boot up to that because it's got better driver support than their CD. My BartCD works fantastic and Acronis' plug-in makes a perfect addition.

I've tried that before on version 9.1 when I would back it up and it said the image is ok but when I try to restore the image from the bootable cd it always tells me the image is currupt.

I've gotten that too before. However, your image is not actually corrupt. The vrification was right, it's just that ATI has problems sometimes restoring images from a CD. It works better if you have a fully installed version of ATI on another hard drive and use that to restore. It's less useful, yes, but it has a much better chance for success.

I use this software all the time. The backup can be done after booting to XP and then starting acronis trueimage. The other way is to use bootcd. Acronis has their own bootcd. Bart's bootcd and Hiren's Bootcd both available as torrent downloads also have acronis trueimage. In my experience Bart's and Hiren's bootcd have better driver support. I always perform restoration of entire partition using a bootcd. However individual files can also be restored from the image. With Acronis trueimage installed the image can be mounted as an independent drive.

I have never had my images go corrupt when I backup to another partition on the same hard drive. However I did face corruption problems when I backed up directly to cd. In my opinion backing up to cd is a bad idea since your setup changes from time to time.

I update my image once the number of windows updates and additional programs installed changes significantly. Currently I have two backups. One is a base install [XP + Absolutely essential programs]. The other is base install + programs needed for current use.

When you do backup there are many options. Password protection, compression, and image verification are some that stand out. At the best compression, a 10 GB partition with windows XP and all the programs installed was backed up in a image of 1.5 GB. I have a SATA II hard drive and image creation took 4 mins and restoration took 1.5 mins. The best part is you can use this software to migrate during hard drive upgrades by restoring the image to the new hard drive. This setup works best when you save your data on a separate partition. I always save my Data on D: and system on C:. Remember ! When you do a restore say of C: all data present on C: will be erased !!

Hope this information is helpful. I would be more than happy to help anybody with additional questions. I encourage everyone to give this amazing piece of software a try. Its a time saver especially for people like me who previously used to install XP every month or two to keep the computer fresh and fast. :yes:

From what I have read on the Acronis site, yes this will work with Vista 64.

I myself like the program very much except for one minor itty bitty thing: I'm used to copying my images to a hidden partition that I have already created using partition magic, and want True image to be able to copy to and restore from that hidden partition also. The thing is... True Image is only capable of copying to it's own self created hidden partition. We are not talking unhidden partitions here cause any backup program can do that. This then means that I'd have to delete my current hidden partition with backup data and all, then have True Image recreate its secure zone hidden partition, which I hope the user has control of the size and location of the hidden partition that will be created. Then, I would have to create a fresh Image of my current system to the newly created partition. Then I'd be OK I think.

Thing is, I've just gotten so comfortable with the way Drive Image 2002 by Powerquest works. You can save any image to any partition (even hidden ones) using a boot disk and then restore from that partition. Acronis True Image didn't list my hidden partition as a place to save my image to or as a place to restore my image from, which is a huge inconvenience for a power user like me. I did of course suggest this feature to Acronis, but I assume they figured the secure zone of theirs was the same and although it is in a sense, the program is removing full flexibility from the user by forcing you to use a method that they think might be a better solution. Also, my computers are a little older now too, I realize that.

Although this is probably good for most users, those used to more flexibility or powerful backup solutions will consider it a step backward. Allbeit a small step. The program is a great program and it will be my next backup solution once I can no longer use Drive Image 2002. Since Norton ruined the Powerquest Drive Image program, Acronis True image Workstation is the absolute closest thing to the old Drive Image program. I do all my backup and restore operations from a boot CD to keep it simple and free of Windows influences. Acronis provides this capability without the Use of a windows PE boot cd which is time consuming and slow like Norton Ghost. There's lots to like about this program!

Edited by samxt

Did they implement "rolling backups" in this release?

do you mean incremental backups? its available already in v9

Edit: im not sure about this home version though

I myself like the program very much except for one minor itty bitty thing: I'm used to copying my images to a hidden partition that I have already created using partition magic, and want True image to be able to copy to and restore from that hidden partition also. The thing is... True Image is only capable of copying to it's own self created hidden partition. We are not talking unhidden partitions here cause any backup program can do that. This then means that I'd have to delete my current hidden partition with backup data and all, then have True Image recreate its secure zone hidden partition, which I hope the user has control of the size and location of the hidden partition that will be created. Then, I would have to create a fresh Image of my current system to the newly created partition. Then I'd be OK I think.

Thing is, I've just gotten so comfortable with the way Drive Image 2002 by Powerquest works. You can save any image to any partition (even hidden ones) using a boot disk and then restore from that partition. Acronis True Image didn't list my hidden partition as a place to save my image to or as a place to restore my image from, which is a huge inconvenience for a power user like me. I did of course suggest this feature to Acronis, but I assume they figured the secure zone of theirs was the same and although it is in a sense, the program is removing full flexibility from the user by forcing you to use a method that they think might be a better solution. Also, my computers are a little older now too, I realize that.

Although this is probably good for most users, those used to more flexibility or powerful backup solutions will consider it a step backward. Allbeit a small step. The program is a great program and it will be my next backup solution once I can no longer use Drive Image 2002. Since Norton ruined the Powerquest Drive Image program, Acronis True image Workstation is the absolute closest thing to the old Drive Image program. I do all my backup and restore operations from a boot CD to keep it simple and free of Windows influences. Acronis provides this capability without the Use of a windows PE boot cd which is time consuming and slow like Norton Ghost. There's lots to like about this program!

I agree with you. Drive Image 2002 was one of a kind. Great application! I never had any problem with backup and the most important restoring.

With True Image... Sometimes I got a "corrupted image" when restoring a partition and then your magic program bacame a real pain. Twice I had to install XP since True Image showed the error message. Once I had 4 images and all of them corrupted! Go figure! :pinch:

I agree with you. Drive Image 2002 was one of a kind. Great application! I never had any problem with backup and the most important restoring.

With True Image... Sometimes I got a "corrupted image" when restoring a partition and then your magic program bacame a real pain. Twice I had to install XP since True Image showed the error message. Once I had 4 images and all of them corrupted! Go figure! :pinch:

Acronis True Image WAS a good product back when it was v8.0. Once they jumped to v9.0 everything turned into crap. Corrupted images, constant reboots just to get the image backup. I got fed up with it. I had to reboot my PC from the Recovery CD twice just to get the image back. Acronis v10.0 I won't even touch. Acronis is no longer a reliable application. It has way too many bugs and anyone who depends on it for backup is insane.

FACT: ImageCast 6 is the one Dell and Compaq uses to create their images on their PCs. Before they used to use Drive Image 2002 :)

My personal suggestions for backup by choice:

From The Old School

1. Powerquest Drive Image 2002

2. Norton Ghost 2003

From The Newest Appz

3. Paragon Backup Pro 8

4. ImageCast 6