Sp1 Problems

Hello all,

After having problems dualbooting winXP with win98SE, I managed to do it! But when i tried to install XPSP1, everything would go fine until the reboot came. Then i would get the hal.dll error message. Some people told me to replace the patched sp1 atapi.sys located in \system32\drivers with the original one from the CD's drivers.cab. I did that, but the problem remained. I was also told that my drive migh be the cause, and i would have to set a jumper on the Cylinder Limiter in back of my Maxtor drive. I did this too, but this did not have any effect either. As a final action i gave up with XPSP1, and tried to boot from the CD-ROM and select to repair my installation (not system recovery console - i selected clean install) but that didnt have any effect either! What should i do now? Do you have any ideas? Some of my specs:

mobo: QDI Advance 10T-A (Award BIOS 6.00PG)

cpu: Intel Pentium III 733 MHz (5.5 x 133 MHz)

ram: 256 MB SDRAM PC133, 128 MB SDRAM PC133 (Total 384 MB)

hdd0: Seagate 10 GB 7200 rpm (UDMA66)

hdd1: Maxtor 60 GB 7200 rpm (UDMA100)

gfx: Asus V8440 DLX

sfx: Creative SB128 PCI

cd: Asus DVD E616 16x48x

cdr: Yamaha CRW2100E 16x12x40x

Thanks in advance...

[Raptor]

Edit the boot.ini located at the root drive

The contents of the boot.ini will look some thing like:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Change multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(X)\WINDOWS

where X may vary depending on which partition Windows XP is installed

No, the problem is not the boot.ini. XP are installed in the primary partition of the 2nd physical drive... there is one partition on each drive. Something else is wrong ;-(

Still dont know...

Raptor